U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM

4,113 posts, read 2,023,148 times

Advertisements

City.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,833,902 times
Interesting question... I live in NY State which is very much divided into regional and sub-regional areas in the public consciousness. Like NYC is divided into its boroughs, upstate NY also has its "boroughs" or rather, sub-regions which people identify with. While people in upstate NY identify with cities, I suspect they really are identifying with the sub-regions those cities represent.

The local media markets in upstate NY are highly fragmented, there is no single newspaper or TV station that covers all of upstate, so usually people living in one market have no idea of what is happening even in the next region over. (i.e., Syracusans usually have little clue what's happening in Rochester and vice versa)

Living outside of Syracuse, I think of myself as a Central New Yorker, but my wider sphere of identification is with the whole middle third of NY State, from the North Country to the Finger Lakes and Mohawk Valley - less so, the Southern Tier which seems "foreign" (because our local media rarely covers it much). I don't identify with Western New York nearly as much. And in fact, Western New York does feel slightly "foreign" because people have a different accent there and use slightly different vocabulary for some things ("pop" for "soda" for example - or their quaint custom of saying "take the 90" when they really mean "take [I-]90" LOL)

Most upstate regions seem to hold each other in at least slight disdain, as well... (a typical set of CNY "attitudes" might be as follows: Rochester is too snooty and think they're better than everyone else; Buffalo is too big and bloated; Utica is too run-down; the Southern Tier is too poor; Albany is too corrupt; but Syracuse is JUST RIGHT!) Yes, these attitudes are b.s. but everyone seems to have their own version...

Needless to say, downstate is utterly foreign.

Also, to a lesser degree, upstate NY has sub-regions dominated by particular chain stores especially groceries. There is Wegmans territory and Stewart's territory, for example - which don't overlap much if at all. (Wegmans is in the west, while Stewart's is in the east and north)

Last edited by Jeromeville; 04-13-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM

70 posts, read 43,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I'm surprised you think of Queens as being part of Long Island haha. Most New Yorkers I know would never admit to it.
I love to pull their chain on it. "LIers" (Nassau and Suffolk)get almost apoplectic about it. Of course the Battle of Long Island was in Brooklyn

Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 AM

70 posts, read 43,684 times
Default "New York's fine, but it ain't mine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Funny, I was just thinking about this today. I've lived in Philly for 25 years now, and while I can see myself as Philadelphian, I don't think of myself as a Pennsylvanian. I still think of myself as a West Virginian living in Philadelphia.
And I have been in NY for 16 years (Ouch) and still in my heart am a Philadelphian and always will be.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 AM

557 posts, read 372,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
At what level do you most identify with?

The individual town or city you live in? The metro area? The state? Or the entire region?
City First
Meto Okay
Region Fair
State Dead last

Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,182,700 times
When people ask where I'm located or where I'm from, I just say Detroit.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,182,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
City First
Meto Okay
Region Fair
State Dead last
That's more or less where I stand (smiley included).

Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,477,743 times
City, and then region.

I feel like I don't know my state well enough. I've been all up and down the East Coast from Maine to Miami but never to Pittsburgh (working on changing that very soon).

I guess this is true for most people in SE Pennsylvania as we can get to 10+ States faster than it takes to drive across our own state.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,388,766 times
1. Borough - Brooklyn
2. City - NYC
3. Region - Northeast/ Eastern seaboard/ Boswash

Just like the poster from Queens, I don't identify with New York State.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,063,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
At what level do you most identify with?

The individual town or city you live in? The metro area? The state? Or the entire region?
State first: OKLAHOMA.
Region Second (South-Central/Western-South): Oklahoma/Arkansas/Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.