Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times

Advertisements

Just curious what those outside of the Pacific Northwest consider the PNW consists of.

Locally, many of us say "Oregon, Washington, part of BC, and Northern California."

I've heard other people add Idaho, Montana, and sometimes Northern Nevada to that. And at least one person who tried to tell me that Utah and Wyoming were part of PNW.

Do you divide the PNW by climate or geography?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,882 times
I would say the Pacific Northwest is the region from Humboldt County northwards to Anchorage along the coast up to the Cascade and Canadian Coast Mountain crest.

"Cascadia" would be more encompassing and include the inner basin regions and the parts of the Northern Rockies that drain into the Columbia and Fraser rivers.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
I would say the coastal region from the San Francisco Bay Area up to Vancouver.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM

702 posts, read 953,815 times
Mendocino county, CA all the way up to Juneau, AK, to include the coastal side of Oregon, Washington, British Colombia, and the panhandle of Alaska. Idaho and Anchorage have a different culture, imo, and should not be included.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with this!!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is about my personal considerations - in other words roughly the same area as the Original Oregon Territory before it was split up into States.

Interesting that a few of you said all the way up to Alaska.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
I would argue that culture extends out to Spokane and as far east as Missoula.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
This is about my personal considerations - in other words roughly the same area as the Original Oregon Territory before it was split up into States.

Interesting that a few of you said all the way up to Alaska.
I think of a lot of people like to imagine a greater Cascadia stretching from SE Alaska to just north of California. The reality though is that while the wetter sections of the NW Coast might have some things in common in terms of environment--there's little connection between what goes on in Washington State and Oregon and Northern California or Alaska--they're just too far away to have any sort of real regional pull.

The way the state lines are set up--and with the Columbia River Basin stretching to the east and the Bonneville Power Administration--there's more ties in Western Oregon with areas to the east than people realize. But, because the popular imagination of the Pacific Northwest is simply the wetter western portions of Oregon and Washington--which is a fairly small area overall---that's what people will define it as. But I'd say that Oregon,Washington, and Idaho in some ways make up the greater Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,804 times
I consider the Pacific Northwest to be WA, OR and Northern CA, whilst I consider the Northwest to be a broader entity that would also include ID, Western MT, the northwestern-most section of Wyoming and, arguably, we could lump Northern NV into that mix as well (nothing below I-80, though).

Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,904 times
I would say the southern border would be Redding, CA, since that's where the Cascades start, all the way up to Southeastern Alaska. Oregon, Washington, and Idaho are fully included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.