U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM

32 posts, read 32,882 times

Advertisements

So where are they and are any of them quality places to live? I prefer dry heat over humidity but I'll take a little humidity over being 120F outside. I really would love your opinions just in case I do not pass up a gem of a city. Access to walking trails, hiking, large parks, is a huge for me next to low crime.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
SoCal. Honestly, that's all, except if you managed to spend summers in Flagstaff and rest of the year in Phoenix. And only portions of SoCal too. For example San Diego and many inland places wouldn't count. Other than that there are certain places in the mountains at low latitude that do that but tend to fall below it at times. Even LA has avg nighttime lows in 50s in winter

Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Honolulu, Hawaii.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:55 PM

Honolulu hits upper 80s for four months during the summer, with decently high humidity to boot. Probably better than FL because of the breeze/slightly lower, but still not a joke. Waimea on the other hand? (North Shore) L-I-V-I-N.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 PM

A more realistic (albeit still difficult to pull) microclimate gig, that even with 2 residences would likely be significantly cheaper than SoCal, is Vegas and Mount Charleston. Obvi. Even during the summer one would have (and probably want to make their way into the valley) from time to time unless working from home, but the two are only 45 mins. apart, and said resident of both would never have to experience an average month colder than 58, or warmer than 79.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:25 PM

721 posts, read 298,887 times
There is a small strip of coastal California about 20 miles wide from about Santa Barbara to San Diego that stays 65-85 year round. Most of Hawaii is also 65-85 year round, but up the mountains it can get cold sometimes.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:07 PM

32 posts, read 32,882 times
I would be fine to drop it down to even 55-60 if the cities weren't pounded with rain all winter but sun. Many of those places are very expensive in California unfortunately. I like a lot of things in California actually so if I could stumble on the right city then that would be a win. Honolulu I love but crazy expensive, don't they kinda hate mainlanders anyway? I spent some time there honestly it was one of the most comfortable places I've ever been I was very happy to be there. Granted it was 15 years ago but the climate was perfect.

AZ is okay I went there twice last year in summer and winter but it felt kinda like post apocalyptic with very little green space, just dry dessert dirt and few sprigs of green here in there. (It's a desert) I understand that but when you're surrounded by green most of your life its sort of depressing. It's lack of parks was also a major downside as well unless you go up north. There's a few places to hike but they are also surrounded by houses. Pretty sure the only walking people do is on the golf course cause its roads roads roads. Terrible school rankings, a lot of air quality warnings.

*On the upside, The Grand Caynon is awesome, hiking around there is a lot of fun. Also Sedona, driving through it was beautiful along the wooded mountains and red rocks. In my top 10 of prettiest place I've ever been. Also housing prices are very affordable.

Vegas/ Henderson kinda felt the same was as AZ. Okay to visited but depressing. I used to work with homeless but I've never seen a people sleeping under a mattress like a tent with his dog 5 min off the strip. Felt like a 3rd world country. Not quite for me.

*On a lighter note the Hoover dam was awesome, I enjoyed it more than both trips to Vegas and hanging out on the strip.

Florida was okay but too politically backwards for me, when it's not humid it's awesome. *Also the Tupperware office has a museum we went to and enjoyed, recommend that. Lot of nostalgia they should expand it.

Sounds like HI and CA are the winners just need to figure out cities that aren't insanely expensive, safe, good schools, ect.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:32 AM

473 posts, read 358,662 times
What about central California? Monterey, Santa Cruz, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, etc?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 AM

721 posts, read 298,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbus View Post
I would be fine to drop it down to even 55-60 if the cities weren't pounded with rain all winter but sun. Many of those places are very expensive in California unfortunately. I like a lot of things in California actually so if I could stumble on the right city then that would be a win. Honolulu I love but crazy expensive, don't they kinda hate mainlanders anyway? I spent some time there honestly it was one of the most comfortable places I've ever been I was very happy to be there. Granted it was 15 years ago but the climate was perfect.

AZ is okay I went there twice last year in summer and winter but it felt kinda like post apocalyptic with very little green space, just dry dessert dirt and few sprigs of green here in there. (It's a desert) I understand that but when you're surrounded by green most of your life its sort of depressing. It's lack of parks was also a major downside as well unless you go up north. There's a few places to hike but they are also surrounded by houses. Pretty sure the only walking people do is on the golf course cause its roads roads roads. Terrible school rankings, a lot of air quality warnings.

*On the upside, The Grand Caynon is awesome, hiking around there is a lot of fun. Also Sedona, driving through it was beautiful along the wooded mountains and red rocks. In my top 10 of prettiest place I've ever been. Also housing prices are very affordable.

Vegas/ Henderson kinda felt the same was as AZ. Okay to visited but depressing. I used to work with homeless but I've never seen a people sleeping under a mattress like a tent with his dog 5 min off the strip. Felt like a 3rd world country. Not quite for me.

*On a lighter note the Hoover dam was awesome, I enjoyed it more than both trips to Vegas and hanging out on the strip.

Florida was okay but too politically backwards for me, when it's not humid it's awesome. *Also the Tupperware office has a museum we went to and enjoyed, recommend that. Lot of nostalgia they should expand it.

Sounds like HI and CA are the winners just need to figure out cities that aren't insanely expensive, safe, good schools, ect.
Charleston, SC is 60-90 year round. 8-9 months out of the year are in that 65-85 range with only June-Aug about 5 degrees warmer.

The average high in June is 88, July is 91, and August is 89. The December low is 62, January low is 59, and February low is 63.

That is pretty close to your criteria, and it isn't nearly as expensive as California.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 AM

5,278 posts, read 2,995,565 times
San Diego, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or