Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 PM

87 posts, read 74,887 times

Advertisements

Hello, I decided that I am no longer as liberal as I was. I think the reason is in my very liberal university I met so many left-wingers claiming they embrace everyone all the while being rude to me and making me feel like cr*p. I decided to rank people based on their individual qualities, not on their claimed ideology or race, so I will never say a stupid generalization like "I love Blacks/gays/Asians" as every group has its good and bad apples, that's the only thing I learned abroad. But the left has the most bad apples it seems to me, especially white college liberals with white guilt issues and a "Saving the Other" complex. As a Bulgarian I have no white guilt whatsoever as my people have never enslaved Africans or Arabs or stolen their resources like W.E. and US whites. It's so stupid how the American left and minorities think all white countries had colonies abroad and traded slaves. Typical propaganda.

Mind you, I am not racist or homophobic, but I wouldn't go our of my way in order to have gay, black or Muslim friends just for the sake of it like left-wing Westerners do. To me common interests are more important. The problem is that I think the USA is separated in 2 black-and-white thinking camps - the ultra-conservative and the ultra-progressives, there are almost no towns or cities where the majority of people are center-right or moderate. I guess Americans like extremes lol.

I want to live my life as I like. I like family values and home-cooked meals. I prefer country life to the concrete jungle, despite growing up in a relatively big city (almost 2 million). The reason why I am center-right now? Well lets say the extremely left-wingers and the constantly offended ones made me change my mind, I don't wan to be part of those.

Do any real American places still exist where people have that community spirit from the past without the too right-wing nut, overly religious mentality? Or are Western Societies so sick that they're either crazy left-wing hippies or religious zealots? BTW, I am asking about moderate areas to visit for a vacation, I've decided the Western world is going down the drain and it's not safe for living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times
Phoenix and the rest of Arizona except three towns

Old 06-11-2016, 08:27 PM

3,394 posts, read 4,562,911 times
Western slope of Colorado, Colorado Springs, suburbs of Salt Lake City, Idaho, Wyoming, most of Texas and Arizona.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM

Are the country areas and towns close to those specific cities OK:
Dallas
Denver
Minneapolis
St Louis
New Orleans
Cincinnati
San Diego
Chicago

Old 06-11-2016, 08:52 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,752,716 times
If you're a centrist I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Texas. At the state level Texas is as nutball to the right as California is to the left.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 10,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbg View Post
Are the country areas and towns close to those specific cities OK:
Dallas
Denver
Minneapolis
St Louis
New Orleans
Cincinnati
San Diego
Chicago
I would agree that Dallas is likely to be extremely conservative and religious in the areas far enough out to be considered to be country. Both Texas (state Texas is in) and Louisiana (state New Orleans is in) are both part of the American South which is the southeastern part of the country and known for its nickname the Bible belt. The region gets this nickname for the high percentage of locals who are practicing Christians and socially conservative attitudes which are prevalent. It's not a bad area just not near the center. New Orleans itself tends to be more left than outlying areas. Chicago is a common place for the help liberal/left problems you speak of. I would suspect based on living within the state that St. Louis is center-left. Denver seems like it would trend near the center but I have never lived in the region so I can't say for sure. San Diego is in one of the top three or four most left leaning states but I'm not sure about the immediate area. I have no clue about the other cities in your list.

Last edited by boo_boo_8706; 06-11-2016 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 PM

473 posts, read 516,446 times
How long are you planning to vacation that this is even going to come up?? Just go see something that interests you.

Anyway, I'll bite. The ideology of the non-religious conservative is usually summed up as "libertarian." And it actually dovetails with positions are that are held by the left and the right. It's basically the "mind your own government business" ideology. So it's anti-gun control AND pro-legalization of marijuana. A lot of Western states (Colorado, Nevada) have a strong libertarian bent.

That said, racial politics will always be more charged in the U.S. than other countries. Our history IS one of enslavement and legalized disenfranchisement and now we're having a national conversation about whether and how to address past wrongs and level the playing field. Illegal immigration also is a hot-button issue here. So what you're saying is that just because YOU never felt what you demeaningly coin "white guilt," you don't want to even VACATION around others who are more socially conscious?

I'm finding hard to believe this isn't a troll post.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:55 AM

Not a troll post, I went to college and university in the Netherlands where I met your typical left-wing indoctrination which made me more conservative. Coupled with the way locals treated me like **** for being Eastern European and anorexic-looking all the while accepting people of color and gays. I thought being liberal meant to accept everyone and not judge, but nee. Same thing happened in London where back in 2006 my host family went on and on how EE will steal their jobs.

I was offended and insulted to my face or with passive aggressiveness on a daily basis by white Dutch people and other Western Whites like Germans and French people. But not just whites - even some minorities and POC were nasty and rude - most notably some Mexicans. The Indians (both Hindu and Christian) were the ones I found most accepting, also most South-East Asians and Asia-Pacific people. Black people were 50-50. White NA and Canadians were very embracing, I really felt accepted by them, no "I'm better than you" vibes or behavior from them. Based on this I refuse to communicate with White Western Europeans.

Last edited by michaelbg; 06-12-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 09:19 AM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_boo_8706 View Post
I would agree that Dallas is likely to be extremely conservative and religious in the areas far enough out to be considered to be country. Both Texas (state Texas is in) and Louisiana (state New Orleans is in) are both part of the American South which is the southeastern part of the country and known for its nickname the Bible belt. The region gets this nickname for the high percentage of locals who are practicing Christians and socially conservative attitudes which are prevalent. It's not a bad area just not near the center. New Orleans itself tends to be more left than outlying areas. Chicago is a common place for the help liberal/left problems you speak of. I would suspect based on living within the state that St. Louis is center-left. Denver seems like it would trend near the center but I have never lived in the region so I can't say for sure. San Diego is in one of the top three or four most left leaning states but I'm not sure about the immediate area. I have no clue about the other cities in your list.
I lived in St. Louis for 4 years. Like almost any other place I have ever lived, I believe the closer one approaches the center of a city, the more liberal the population becomes. I lived in Clayton, which is probably the most liberal place I have lived in. I lived in suburban New Jersey, about 35 miles from Manhattan, and the area I lived in was considerably more conservative than Clayton Missouri, one town from St. Louis proper. Also, having been in Dallas, the city proper is as liberal as St. Louis, Lakewood/Lakewood Hills has the same vibe as does inner ring suburban St. Louis.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Actually I would not mind a liberal place if it's not the modern-day version that shame women who (gasp!) like to be stay-at-home moms for example or guys like me who love farms and country life and hate urban music and the way people in big cities avoid personal contact. Those people are just as bad and retarded as the religious nuts, why cannot anyone on CD see it is beyond me.

See, I don't care if someone is gay or trans as that's not my business but I WILL NOT stand there being shamed for preferring the simple country life and smaller communities where everyone knows your name? I dislike urban environments with their rudeness, that people shout at others, etc. Besides, I would help my wife with cleaning as I'm a clean freak, but I would never cook, I suck at it and hate it. Oh and I want to drive my car, not suffer in a subway or public transport. And did I mention how much I love hay and nature?

Last edited by JMT; 06-12-2016 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.