Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,368,183 times

Advertisements

Well the North hasn't been flooded by Southern migrants aside from the Great Migration which was a long time ago. Although northern black culture is heavily influenced by southern black culture. Also, I think when it comes to "changing a place to be more like back home" Californians and New Yorkers, and other Northeasterners, are the worst offenders. We got lots of Midwestern transplants around here, mostly from Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Illinois. They don't try to change anything they appreciate differences. Southerners tend to be proud of their culture if they move up north but they're not so insistant on complaining about how things are done or trying to change things. This is partly because culturally southerners are known for being more polite but also people who move from the South to the North tend to do so because of less superficial reasons than the reverse. So many Northerners move to Florida or the Carolinas just for warm weather. Then they complain about the culture or the politics or the infrastructure.

Someone from the South who moves up North, well maybe part of the reason is they want seasons (that's one of mine) but more important, they're paying attention to jobs or schools. When you actually research a place before moving there, as opposed to only wanting to move so you can show your pale legs and hairy toes that no one wants to see, in December, then you're less likely to complain about how different things are and try to change them. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM

869 posts, read 1,559,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
People forget about this as well.

Many Southern whites moved to the Midwest for jobs, particularly in the auto sector, a couple of generations ago. That generation is mostly dead or older retiree, but there are still many people, especially in small towns, that are just one, maybe two, generations removed from the South, in communities that have a large percentage of people like them, and few new transplants.

That's part of the reason why small towns and rural areas, especially those with auto industry connections, in states like IN/MI, seem country with Southern influence.
Believe me, there are plenty of native northern rednecks out there!

Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,132,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The North cannot get less Northern. The lousy weather they have to endure causes them to be that way. I would probably act just like them if I had to live in such miserable weather. We spent one week in RI and I could not wait to leave. The weather was so awful we mostly stayed in our condo.

The last few weeks I keep watching the weather channel and am so thankful for our wonderful winters. We may have had two weeks of winter this year but I don't think we have had even that much.
That's how many of us feel about your summers.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,424,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Have you noticed that blacks in DC and Chicago have a very similar accent?
Chicago is more southern. Dc-Baltimore black accents are more of a fluid/mumbly mix of southern and the white 'accent' (if you can even call t that) of white Marylanders. I wouldn't say they sound northern at all but not southern like some of the blacks in Chicago. The Blacks in Chicago who came up from the 40-70s sound way more southern than the older generations of black Chicagoans who came up from 1900-1930, lighter skin blacks in Chicago are more often descended form the first group, who come from more middle class and established segregation era black families. The second wave of black Chicagoan is much more country, tends to be a little darker, more likely to have lived in the old public housing and thus remained socially and linguistically isolated into the 2000s...DC area never had a cultural and linguistic invasion as blacks sort of gradually accumulated there after moving in and out for centuries.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
True, it's like depending on what state that they ended up in, they seem to have traveled due north from their original state except Louisiana and Texas, which tended to move out west.
True, Im from Boston my dd moved up from NJ and his family moved up from VA,. My mom moved from NC to Boston when she was 1 in 1962.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellGuy View Post
It's known as African American Vernacular English.
Thats the grammar not the accent

Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The Black population in NYC and Boston is hardly representative of Afro-American culture as a whole for this very reason. Outside of maybe NYC, Boston, DC, Miami (a few other metros to a lesser extent) the Afro-Caribbean, Afro-Latino, and African population is negligible and has no influence on Black America.
Hold on were actually talking about Northern New Jersey, all of Connecticut, all of Rhode Island, all of Massachusetts, 'downstate NYC' and Southern FL-all having an extremely prevalent Afro Latino/Afro-Carribean influence. Thats about 4.5 million blacks right there (2.5 mill in NYC, .5 mil in Mass, .5 Mil in Northern NJ, .5 in Southern FL and .5 Mil in CT/RI) So about 10% of the overall black American population is affected by that culture. But with NYC having such an outsized cultural influence perhaps it feel larger than that? I dont know objectively as im from the region..i know there is some of that influence in Dc and even Philly but honestly compared to New England it doesnt seem very large it just seems unique to people n the DC are because theyre surrounded by African Americans outside of the inner DC metro.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,545,095 times
Neither North or South define their cultures, especially small towns. A handfull of corporations define our culture and stereotypes. Corporate culturmeisters generally avoid South themed constructs thus Southern culture so to speak disappear as TV and parents teach their kids proper corporate English rooted in the North.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Southerners should take comfort in the fact that outside the US, it is their Southern culture that is seen as representing the whole of America. You may see the subtle changes coming from Northerners moving down as sea-changes, but Southern culture isn't going anywhere soon.
This.

If you talk to Europeans or Asians, for example, when they tend to think of America they tend to think of cowboys (Texas, southern/southwestern state), Disney (CA/FL), BBQ (Southern), and Coca-cola (Atlanta).

My ex-inlaws from Switzerland loved having fried catfish, coleslaw, hush puppies, and okra. So they loved visiting the South. When up North they said that the pizzas in NYC/Chicago were worse than in Italy and that the corned beef and cabbage in Boston wasn't like Ireland. But oh did they love catfish!

In NYC or Boston, the culture is defined by immigrants (NYC Italians, Boston Irish immigrants).

In the South, the culture is a unique mixture of all the previous cultures. The South is the true culture of the US. I speak the truth.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This.

If you talk to Europeans or Asians, for example, when they tend to think of America they tend to think of cowboys (Texas, southern/southwestern state), Disney (CA/FL), BBQ (Southern), and Coca-cola (Atlanta).

My ex-inlaws from Switzerland loved having fried catfish, coleslaw, hush puppies, and okra. So they loved visiting the South. When up North they said that the pizzas in NYC/Chicago were worse than in Italy and that the corned beef and cabbage in Boston wasn't like Ireland. But oh did they love catfish!

In NYC or Boston, the culture is defined by immigrants (NYC Italians, Boston Irish immigrants).

In the South, the culture is a unique mixture of all the previous cultures. The South is the true culture of the US. I speak the truth.
A very parochial post. The South received very few 19th century immigrants from Europe, and thus remained outside of the cultural forces which eventually shaped modern-day America. The South is largely just Anglo-Saxon Protestant America, with very little of anything else.

It's not 1865 anymore, but I sense that parts of the South have never changed from that, and they truly missed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.