Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Maryland is about 30% black. Are you saying that the amount of black people makes it less southern?
In a way, if we're talking about Black immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In a way, if we're talking about Black immigrants.
But immigrants aren't that large relative to the whole black population.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
My point was specifically about NoVA and transplant-heavy parts of MD, like the DC suburbs and, to a smaller extent, the Baltimore suburbs. Immigrants (and their children) have played a very significant role in the dilution of "Southerness" in these areas.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Immigrants and their descendants are nearly half of NYC's black population. Substantial portion of Boston's as well.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Immigrants and their descendants are nearly half of NYC's black population. Substantial portion of Boston's as well.
I was specifically taking about the "Maryland" part of his statement. Just wanted to understand what hr was saying.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
What happened to all of those southern whites that went up North in the 1940s?

I am a descendent of a Southern white family that moved north in the 1930s. I am now back in the South....a great many of the children and grandchildren of these people returned to Dixie. Of those in my family descended from these original Northern immigrants, only a few remain in the North. I guess it was never meant to be.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
It was intimated by others, but this is the simplest way to put it:

The U.S. has had historically a number of unique, regional cultures. The most distinctive of those, at least in terms of accent included the South, along with many of the major urban centers in the North, like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. As the 20th century has wore on, the U.S. has also developed a "generic American" culture, which is cosmopolitan and which someone is increasingly likely to conform to as they move up the socio-economic ladder.

Hence, the north isn't getting less "Northern." But individual Northern cities are getting less distinctive in time. They are losing their cultural heritage just as the South is. It's just the culture that it is being replaced with doesn't seem quite as different.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 AM

150 posts, read 219,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It was intimated by others, but this is the simplest way to put it:

The U.S. has had historically a number of unique, regional cultures. The most distinctive of those, at least in terms of accent included the South, along with many of the major urban centers in the North, like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. As the 20th century has wore on, the U.S. has also developed a "generic American" culture, which is cosmopolitan and which someone is increasingly likely to conform to as they move up the socio-economic ladder.

Hence, the north isn't getting less "Northern." But individual Northern cities are getting less distinctive in time. They are losing their cultural heritage just as the South is. It's just the culture that it is being replaced with doesn't seem quite as different.
brilliant post!

Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 PM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
I would contend that the urban South is becoming more Northern while the rural North is becoming more Southern. I recall a surreal moment driving between Detroit and Chicago wherein I stopped at a gas station in a small town... it was clearly the go-to place for food in the vicinity because it was packed with people wearing cowboy hats, speaking with pseudo Southern accents and listening to a song called Leroy the Redneck Reindeer. It reminded me quite a lot of the small towns my relatives in Mississippi live in, but it was not the kind of place you expected to see 90 minutes outside of downtown Chicago.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:47 PM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
How many 20-somethings these days do you hear with thick regional accents? None I've ever heard, honestly.

It seems like regional accents started dying out with the Baby Boomers, and have faded ever since. Even here in Minnesota, the only people who have the stereotypical accent (especially in the Twin Cities metro) are people over age 55 or so.

I work with a bunch of younger Millennials (kids born in the 90s) who are all Minnesota natives who can't even pronounce words the normal Minnesotan way. They all say "bahg" instead of "bayg" (bag), "ex-PAIR-ih-mint" instead of "ix-SPEAR-mint" (experiment), and "Cul-low-RAH-doe" instead of "Cahl-low-RAD-doe" (Colorado). The accent is slowly being eroded away due to influences from mass media and entertainment, as is the case all over the country.
I think most linguistics think the opposite, that regional accents are becoming stronger... just not all of them. The Northern Cities Vowel Shift, for example, is creating more distinct accents from St Louis to Buffalo via things like the bus/boss merger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.