U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most dangerous city in the United States?
Los Angeles 4 4.55%
Las Vegas 3 3.41%
San Diego 0 0%
Chicago 4 4.55%
New York City 8 9.09%
St. Louis 5 5.68%
Detroit 48 54.55%
Miami 3 3.41%
Atlanta 0 0%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Cleveland 2 2.27%
Houston 2 2.27%
Dallas 1 1.14%
Memphis 4 4.55%
Washington D.C. 4 4.55%
Denver 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,814,010 times

Advertisements

I find topics that talk about "safe", "dangerous", "murder", and which area has the nicest people to be really really stupid. It's all very meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,721,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
In your opinion what is the most dangerous city in the United States?

In my opinion, I think that LA is the most dangerous, followed by Vegas and Detroit...

What do you think?
Considering your time here, you should know the answers to this.

LA is a rose garden compared to Philly, Detroit, or Newark. Brooklyn North makes Compton look like paradise. Yes, Brooklyn North... The area of Brooklyn that has seen a 64% increase in crime over the past two years. Believe me, if I was poor, I'd rather live in a Compton bungalow with a yard than live in a Brooklyn tenement using the same living room as 2 other families and having to walk down a hallway filled with urine, graffiti, druggies, and gang members taunting everybody that walks by. Same goes for Philly, Detrot, and Newark... Dense cities are always more intimidating from the skyline to the streets.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,721,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I find topics that talk about "safe", "dangerous", "murder", and which area has the nicest people to be really really stupid. It's all very meaningless.
It's not meaningless. This is the perfect site to do this on... Many people come here looking for information on neighborhoods and people native to an area. This is an expression of views and what you experience. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I make a choice to move somewhere.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,814,010 times
Anyone on this site has to be smart enough to know that if they're moving to NYC, they should not even consider moving into the poorer sections of the Bronx. And they have to know that crime in certain sections of the Bronx is worse than in Yonkers. And that you can not assume that since crime in the Bronx is so high that all of NYC is also bad. It's a bad generalization. And this is certainly true for St. Louis. Especially since it's winning the poll (yea!!)

Old 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,997,202 times
Even though Detroit is bad, I am suprised to see no Philadelphia on here. Philly has one of the highest murder rates in the country, I actually think it is the highest.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,525,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Philly has one of the highest murder rates in the country, I actually think it is the highest.
And I think you are incorrect. ^^

Some quick research would be nice.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 PM

334 posts, read 1,261,202 times
I wonder where the crime takes place in Detroit. I've walked all over downtown and never felt unsafe. I'm guessing it's in the far out neigborhoods, that are decayed, and I think most of the violence probably happens between people that are dealing drugs, etc. So for the average person visiting, there's no need to panic.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 PM

386 posts, read 1,536,895 times
Poor Detroit. I actually feel bad for that city. It could be so much better but...when you've got the unions basically putting a giant noose over your economy....what do you expect? When the politicians finally grow a pair and stand up to the unions, Michigan will come back. And it's a great American state....I really hope it does get back on its feet soon!

And New Orleans? That city is just worthless.....

Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 AM

96 posts, read 102,961 times
I could name a few:

Detroit
L.A.
Chicago
Memphis
Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or