Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:27 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That list is pretty deceptive because U.S metro's typically sprawl out a lot further than Canadian one's and don't resemble anything of a city in such suburban/exurban areas. Looking at that list, one would get the impression that Boston, Philly or D.C are larger 'cities' than Toronto when the truth is Toronto packs in quite a bit more people in a more compact and dense area than those cities. It actually packs in a bit more people in its city proper as Chicago's city proper does in the exact same area. S.F, Boston, Philly and D.C don't.
Very good point. If you include the entire Philadelphia metro area (Delaware Valley) as "Philadelphia" (you could even include much of South Jersey and some of Delaware), then it's truly massive. But I'd argue much of it doesn't feel that way. There are plenty of suburbs with lots of open space.

But going by the same standards, the GTA is no less massive. Maybe a little more compact, though, as you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Very nice city. I enjoy visiting Toronto. Especially in my Habs gear . Unfortunately I can't afford to go to a game there.
I guess it is rather expensive. I still wanted to do it, though, so I did. Last time I was in Toronto, I saw a Flyers-Leafs game. That was on January 14, 2010. Flyers lost...

Old 06-25-2016, 09:53 AM

150 posts, read 215,205 times
Just search for the latest Seattle vs. Toronto thread in City vs. City, for example. There are dozens of pages.

The most common comment in the thread essentially goes like this: "Yeah, I admit that Toronto is objectively better at everything I can think of, but Seattle has mountains, therefore, I choose Seattle!" As soon as you compare Seattle to Chicago, Washington DC, Boston, or San Fran, all of a sudden these same posters miraculously don't care about Seattle's mountains anymore and think it's a bland city.

Toronto is City-Data.com's most unjustifiably disliked city, and the least appreciated.

Most ironically of all, is that I think it's safe to say that Chicago seems to be the most liked and well received city on this forum, often even beating New York in "where would you rather live?" threads. Yet, Toronto is Chicago's most comparable city on Earth. What am I missing here?

Last edited by joey joe-joe; 06-25-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 03:02 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser755 View Post
This site is very pro American, Toronto gets crap because it's "not American". None of its merits are ever praised and many are even detracted of played down (I have seen this on other threads). A U.S city has yet to achieve the diversity of people of Toronto. Or the ethnic harmony, culture or safety. Only NYC can compare and despite its turn around in safety in recent years it's still an incredibly dangerous and dirty city when compared to Toronto.
Well why do so many Americans rave about Montreal?
I dont hear Toronto getting "crap"

Toronto is undoubtedly a city that is the most liveable city on North America.Most people get that.However it lacks and edge and does come off as bland.Culturally and Architecturally. Thats the only crap I hear.
Its a great city but not much soul their.

A city of great interest does not have to be big and urban.Places like Victoria,Savannah,Santa Fe, and cities even smaller are more interesting than many big cities

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 06-30-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 06-30-2016, 04:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
People in NY go all the time

Old 06-30-2016, 10:54 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
We're heading to Toronto this summer (as well as Montreal and Ottawa). Can't wait! I was in Toronto only once before many years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yes they do.Also of course Montreal to NYC.Those cities are very connected to NYC

Old 07-01-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
One of the reasons WNY seems like a nice place to live is the easy access to Niagara Falls & Toronto. I'd visit often, too, if I lived there.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
A city of great interest does not have to be big and urban.Places like Victoria,Savannah,Santa Fe, and cities even smaller are more interesting than many big cities
Best insight in this entire thread. "Clean, safe, and livable" =/= "interesting."

Old 07-02-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Best insight in this entire thread. "Clean, safe, and livable" =/= "interesting."
Well thats a simplistic way of seeing it but I'm not suggesting a city can't be safe,clean,liveable and interesting but there are some examples that safe clean etc but not interesting as well as those that are all of that.
Montreal is as safe as Toronto but it seems more interesting by far.
Calgary even seems more interesting but I understand if others dont agree.Its just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.