U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 30,539 times

Advertisements

my husband, 2 small kids, and i are looking to relocate. he is a carpenter, and i'm a stay at home mom. we want to live somewhere with fair weather(not too hot or too cold) for most of the year. alaska is gorgeous, but i would like to go outside without bundling up all the time- take the kids to the park, garden, play in the water! we do not want a big city or flat lands. we do want greenery, warmth, low crime, and a place to raise our family happily! where do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,253,023 times
North Carolina comes to mind when I read your description.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:59 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,713,185 times
Whats your definition of cold weather? I mean...lol... Your definition of hot would probably be nice to me...Get Temperature specific...
Colorado came to mind... UP Michigan has a not so nice winter...but has really nice summers....Maybe Oregon? or Washington?... uhh... Spokane? ...yeah...hehe

Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 PM

14 posts, read 30,539 times
gosh, anything above 50 would be nice. not alot of snow too.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,912,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller32579 View Post
my husband, 2 small kids, and i are looking to relocate. he is a carpenter, and i'm a stay at home mom. we want to live somewhere with fair weather(not too hot or too cold) for most of the year. alaska is gorgeous, but i would like to go outside without bundling up all the time- take the kids to the park, garden, play in the water! we do not want a big city or flat lands. we do want greenery, warmth, low crime, and a place to raise our family happily! where do you suggest?
How about right here in Knoxville, Tennessee? Four distinct seasons, mild winters (a few inches of snow a year, but today it was in the 60s), low cost of living, low taxes, lots of mountains and lakes, low crime, good family environment.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,050,716 times
Although New England gets a lot of snow, it does have four seasons and the summers are milder than other parts of the country. It may be the place for you. Being from Alaska, you could probably handle the winters in Vermont or Maine.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times
I'd suggest the middle-region of the country.

North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentcuky, Virginia. Possibly Colorado or California.

All have fairly moderate weather.

Since you want to stay around 50 with minimal snow, avoid the northern part of the country as a whole.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 26 days ago)

9,830 posts, read 21,140,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
How about right here in Knoxville, Tennessee? Four distinct seasons, mild winters (a few inches of snow a year, but today it was in the 60s), low cost of living, low taxes, lots of mountains and lakes, low crime, good family environment.
Knoxville is a HIGH CRIME city. It would be by far the most dangerous metro area in many states. Tennessee as a whole ranks as the 5th MOST DANGEROUS state

Moderator cut: URL removed

Last year two college students were abducted in East Knoxville, repeatedly raped, sodomized, and tortured before having their bodies dumped.
Murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tennessee is also were the KKK was started and where Martin Luther King, Jr was assassinated

By comparison, Kentucky offers many safe metropolitan areas with a lost cost of living, surrounded by beautiful scenery. If you're looking for a bigger city Louisville would be a great pick. Lexington is a mid sized college town surrounded by horse farms and just 40 minutes from the Appalachian Mountains
http://www.city-data.com/forum/louisville-area/232504-louisville-photo-sticky.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/lexington-area/233321-lexington-photo-sticky.html

Last edited by Marka; 02-17-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM

279 posts, read 710,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Knoxville is a HIGH CRIME city. It would be by far the most dangerous metro area in many states. Tennessee as a whole ranks as the 5th MOST DANGEROUS state
http://www.morganquitno.com/met05a.pdf

Last year two college students were abducted in East Knoxville, repeatedly raped, sodomized, and tortured before having their bodies dumped.
Murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tennessee is also were the KKK was started and where Martin Luther King, Jr was assassinated

By comparison, Kentucky offers many safe metropolitan areas with a lost cost of living, surrounded by beautiful scenery. If you're looking for a bigger city Louisville would be a great pick. Lexington is a mid sized college town surrounded by horse farms and just 40 minutes from the Appalachian Mountains
http://www.city-data.com/forum/louisville-area/232504-louisville-photo-sticky.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/lexington-area/233321-lexington-photo-sticky.html
OP i would ignore him, he has an anti-TN, pro-KY agenda. see his other topics

Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM

50 posts, read 146,434 times
Washington (state), Oregon, and maybe Northern California are your best bets, but check out Maryland and North Carolina, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or