Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:32 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
No, it's not. The Tropic of Cancer is south of Florida, even the Keys.
Southern Florida may not be in the Topic of Cancer, but it is a tropical climate, so it can be called tropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I wouldn't call the states you labeled semi-Southern except West Virginia which I view as being an overall Southern state. Maryland and Delaware are southern in tiny portions of their states but are decidedly Mid-Atlantic.
Maryland is a decidedly northeastern state. The great northern legacy, culture, history and dialect are quite obvious and present throughout. That you consider it Mid-Atlantic is hilarious. Maryland is more similar and connected Pennsylvania than Virginia because nobody served my cousins sweet tea when they lived there.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
I think of Virginia as Upper South.
Virginia has enough in common with Maryland with the Chesapeake and DC that I consider it to be a northeastern state .

Old 06-21-2016, 02:40 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Maryland is a decidedly northeastern state. The great northern legacy, culture, history and dialect are quite obvious and present throughout. That you consider it Mid-Atlantic is hilarious. Maryland is more similar and connected Pennsylvania than Virginia because nobody served my cousins sweet tea when they lived there.
If I recall, many northern states have confederate fight songs as their state song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IYjvCv8g2E

Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,311 times
Quote:
You clearly get a kick out of following me around on here. That I consider Maryland Mid-Atlantic is hilarious? IT IS MID-ATLANTIC Maryland is more similar to Pennsylvania in terms of politics, linguistics, industrial history, it's large German American population, etc. It's sad how bad you want the state to be part of the South like Virginia. It really is. Why don't you publish a book about your feelings on it...maybe you'll sell out

Old 06-21-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If I recall, many northern states have confederate fight songs as their state song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IYjvCv8g2E
Except Maryland didn't fight for the south in the Civil War.

Last edited by U146; 06-21-2016 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Virginia has enough in common with Maryland with the Chesapeake and DC that I consider it to be a northeastern state .
Most of Virginia is not similar to Maryland at all. You're clearly trying to provoke me and I'm not going to engage. Find someone else who cares about what you say and quit following me around.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
Quote:
What? Are you serious? VA is, at best, mid-atlantic.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
Quote:
How do you know that it's not Virginia influencing Maryland?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 PM

150 posts, read 219,182 times
Quote:
Virginia is the very Southern tip of the Mid Atlantic region in terms of Geography. However, it is definitely not a Northeast state. Call it Mid Atlantic or something, which may fit. But Northeast in terms of native culture? No. Even Northern Virginia is more Southern in feel than anything a bit further north. Maryland is a mixed bag. I consider it a Mid Atlantic State with Southern overtones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.