U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 AM

127 posts, read 123,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Houston Is DIVERSE,
but Most of the Hispanics are what? MEXICAN
Most of the Asians are what? VIETNAMESE with a touch of Chinese
Houston is what 5% Asian?

NYC
for Hispanics: Dominican, Puerto Rican, and what not
Asians: Korean, Chinese, Filipino, and what not...
NYC is what? 10% asian?
Houston isn't really integrated anymore then NYC...
Chicago is like Houston... Houston is diverse no where does it say its a city full of red necks which believe me I want to crush that stereotype as much as you do.
IF anything Chicago is more integrated then Houston, you said it yourself Mexican are new so if like no one speaks english how is that integrated?
Look I'm not trying to say Houston is worth crap, It is a diverse place more then DFW I'll admit (but don't get all haughty...not by an outrageous margin). But There is honestly in my opinion no comparison to NYC.
You guys have really been pushing Houston lately? is there a reason? no honestly...do you feel you city is underrated? Because I've been seeing a lot of Houston pride posts and polls...I'm not trying to exactly get you to stop, I'm just wondering if the community understands that better that leaves room for improvement, instead of pushing pride to an annoying extent, which I'll admit to doing sometimes...
Oh Dallas, that wasn't the argument sweetie. Houston is diverse, but you're right, there are more nationality diverse cities (NYC and LA especially. I also note Sacramento) on this list, but the majority of the cities on this list lack is the integration.The point is that in Houston people actually mix, the neighborhoods in Houston have a more even amounts of latinos, black, whites and asians. And don't you ever say that NYC is more integrated than Houston because that is an OUTRIGHT lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM

697 posts, read 2,024,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
just thought i'd point out a little known fact, since most people automatically assume that Houston is a "Mexican city" just because it's in Texas. the influx of mexicans in houston is due to the city's rise in opportunities, because it really isn't all that close to the border.
Whether or not this was true in the past, this is true in the present.

Quote:
but what you're not understanding is that those facts are kind of irrelevant to how diverse a city. yes about half of houston's foreign born population is mexican, but there are sooooo many other nationalities here, I don't even know them all

Diversity means a wider variety of things. i keep hearing people making references to rainbows. well, some cities may have larger ribbons of color in their rainbow, but houston has more colors. that's what diversity means. there are some nationalities here that you are not likely to find in any other city except for new york and los angeles

there's no rule that says in order to be diverse, you have to have great numbers of people from each country. especially in a city like houston where virtually every nation in the world contributes to the culture.
I agree with you. Diversity doesn't mean having large amounts of a few colors. My argument was that other cities have both more amounts of colors, and more in each color as well in their rainbows.

Quote:
and i wouldn't doubt that this credit has something to do with houston's energy field, which is all we receive acknowledge for...if that

I swear this city epitomizes the term Underdog.
Houston has credit for being energy capital of the world, and credit for being one of the fastest growing areas in the country - not only in population growth, but economic growth as well. The city also has credit for being family friendly, people friendly, great shopping, great place for business, great place to find many of the attractions that other cities have at a lower cost of living, as well as many other things.

It is also gets credit for being very diverse. Just not in the top 5.

Quote:
look at the polls above. now i'll admit, most people are probably just voting off of hearsay, but there's some truth to the numbers. except for the fact that people here actually believe new york is more integrated than houston, but if they want to keep lying to themselves it's fine by me
You try to say there is truth to the numbers on the poll, but the city with the largest amount of votes is New York City. New York City is not integrated on the whole, both of us know that. So trusting the poll and hearsay is not really a good idea.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 AM

127 posts, read 123,943 times
Yeah tenken I think NYC wins diversity and Houston wins integration. I just think it's sad that a city so diverse is limited by its real estate. I think Houston meets both requirements the best on this list. People are more likely to go with what they know though, or think they know and more people know NYC than Houston.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Yeah tenken I think NYC wins diversity and Houston wins integration. I just think it's sad that a city so diverse is limited by its real estate. I think Houston meets both requirements the best on this list. People are more likely to go with what they know though, or think they know and more people know NYC than Houston.
once again, no one was suggesting that houston was more diverse than new york

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Whether or not this was true in the past, this is true in the present.
well i guess the same goes for chicago

Quote:
I agree with you. Diversity doesn't mean having large amounts of a few colors. My argument was that other cities have both more amounts of colors, and more in each color as well in their rainbows.
you just contradicted yourself

Quote:
Houston has credit for being energy capital of the world, and credit for being one of the fastest growing areas in the country - not only in population growth, but economic growth as well. The city also has credit for being family friendly, people friendly, great shopping, great place for business, great place to find many of the attractions that other cities have at a lower cost of living, as well as many other things.
another subtle way of saying that houston isn't "all that"

Quote:
It is also gets credit for being very diverse. Just not in the top 5.
what cities have more nationalities than houston (besides ny and la, and probably dc---thanks to the embassies), and where is your proof of this? if there even is any, i have yet to see it.

the facts i have that support my claims are the facts that houston has the third largest amount of consulates in the u.s. more than chicago, more than san francisco, more than sacramento (???)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,661,713 times
Wow, reading these posts it sounds like St. Louis is almost as integrated as some of these cities, although not so much in the suburbs. Actually, I'd say it's more diverse in the Central West End and Downtown. 3 major colleges might have a reason for that, though.

But I don't live there, this is just from my own observations.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,715,292 times
I don't know what part of Houston you come from...but most Hispanic in not only Houston but all of Texas are Mexican, by an overwhelming majority.
They're Puerto Ricans and Cubans present but not like in NYC...well for the Borcuas anyways... Florida P00ns everyone is Cubans...
^
when I was referring to DFW that last post...i was referring to the Houston/Dallas Rivalry...it was sort of a joke...but whatever...
Integration is the same, I can go down to Houston and still find some FOB from Vietnam or some Mexican going 'me no english' just all the same in NYC.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,984,234 times
I thought we were voting on most diverse and intergrated CITY not metro or consolidated metropolitan area.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I don't know what part of Houston you come from...but most Hispanic in not only Houston but all of Texas are Mexican, by an overwhelming majority.
when did i ever say that mexicans were not the majority of latinos in houston? what i said is that a lot of the most prominent latinos in houston were in fact not mexican

Quote:
They're Puerto Ricans and Cubans present but not like in NYC...well for the Borcuas anyways...
never said there were

Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I thought we were voting on most diverse and intergrated CITY not metro or consolidated metropolitan area.
whose post are you questioning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or