Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM

979 posts, read 2,083,092 times

Advertisements

Sacramento has to be on that list. I agree that Sac is not a top tier city like SF or DC but it isn't El Paso, Fresno, or Rochester. How can it be that Albuquerque, Nashville, Tampa and Portland be on that list. Sac is in the same tier as Portland, Nashville and Tampa and notches above ABQ. And to the person who started this tread, what is ur definition of a major city?? its pretty subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
The other areas may indeed be incorporated into different cities with a separate identity, they still would fall under the Houston metropolitan area like how Galveston is.
Much like how Dayton is figured in the Cincinnati MSA and Akron-Canton is figured in the Cleveland MSA.

While these areas may end up being under different local government jurisdictions if Houston was only 60 square miles, they would still be Houston's market. Houston's metropolitan would remain unchanged.
Galveston was the first major city in Texas. The whole state depended on Galveston for artisans, business, etc. It was the economic centre of the state, until the Hurricane of 1900. Over time the economic center shifted to Houston. If Galveston becomes a separate identity, it would be like a Baton Rouge-New Orleans or Orlando-Tampa separation.

Speaking of markets, the FCC allotted before the license freeze all 7 VHF TV channels to Houston-Galveston. The bottom 4 would go to Houston and the other 3 would go to Galveston. The only station to go up in Houston before the freeze was KPRC-TV (Ch 2), on one of the 4 channels that were allocated to Houston. The freeze was necessary to revise the allocations all over the country. In Houston, the plan was revised after the freeze to have all the VHF channels on the air now.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,254,756 times
Quote:

I never said Houston was not diverse, but can you prove to me that it is a top tier city in that regard? Do not other cities also have a rainbow of different people, with more amounts of each color in that rainbow? Houston has one VERY large color (from Mexico). And while it still has many other colors, the other colors are smaller than other cities in not just percentage, but actual numbers as well.
Chicago's mexican population is greater than houston's. also, mexicans in houston is still a relatively new thing. before the 20th century, there are more city-data members than there were mexicans in houston.

and everyone is saying, "prove to me that houston is one of the most diverse cities" and i'm saying "prove to me that it's not"

point is, when it comes to the qualities of diversity and integration, HOUSTON TOPS THE LIST, and it's no secret that no one ever wants to give this city credit for ANYTHING

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM

699 posts, read 2,228,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Galveston was the first major city in Texas. The whole state depended on Galveston for artisans, business, etc. It was the economic centre of the state, until the Hurricane of 1900. Over time the economic center shifted to Houston. If Galveston becomes a separate identity, it would be like a Baton Rouge-New Orleans or Orlando-Tampa separation.
I'm not sure, but I thought Galveston was part of Houston's metropolitan area? And has large, strong ties to Houston through employment and commerce?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Chicago's mexican population is greater than houston's. also, mexicans in houston is still a relatively new thing. before the 20th century, there are more city-data members than there were mexicans in houston.
I admit that I didn't know that there weren't many Mexicans in Houston pre-1900. I'm actually surprised if true. I'm not sure where you are trying to go with that first opening line though.

Quote:
and everyone is saying, "prove to me that houston is one of the most diverse cities" and i'm saying "prove to me that it's not"
I think I tried to at least put up some actual proof that there are more diverse cities in the U.S. I was hoping you would do the same. Maybe you can get me to change my mind.

I hoped that you could maybe engage in point and counter-point with me, and where we could actually uncover the truth. I don't want to get into just a spouting match trying to make a statement true just by saying it is so.

Quote:
point is, when it comes to the qualities of diversity and integration, HOUSTON TOPS THE LIST, and it's no secret that no one ever wants to give this city credit for ANYTHING
I give Houston a lot of credit for different things. I did put Houston as #3 in my most important cities for America's survival list.

But, it is hard to define and compare integration. Unless one area is well known for ethnically dividing lines in the past, how do you truly determine if a city is more integrated than another?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think I get the point; let me try. The Houston metro would be the same size regardless of the size of the city, yes? Interestingly, in geographically smaller cities, the city people complain that the suburban folks have all the advantages of the city with the lower taxes of the suburbs. At least in Houston, most people are paying taxes to support Houston's infrastructure, arts facitlites, etc.
Yes, that is true. Many people in geographically-challenged cities (I like that, geographically-challenged, hmm...) do complain of money being made within the city and being spent elsewhere. At least in Houston's case, much of the money is going straight back to the city of Houston. Like many things, there are pros and cons to this, but I think this is probably getting a little way too off topic for the thread, and is probably worthy of having its own thread.

Last edited by tenken627; 03-03-2008 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I thought Galveston was part of Houston's metropolitan area? And has large, strong ties to Houston through employment and commerce?
6,000 people died in the 1900 hurricane. After the storm, Houston slowly ascended to power. If not the storm, these would be 2 separate areas making up most of the population of this state.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,270,715 times
Quote:

Houston Is DIVERSE,
but Most of the Hispanics are what? MEXICAN
Most of the Asians are what? VIETNAMESE with a touch of Chinese
Houston is what 5% Asian?

NYC
for Hispanics: Dominican, Puerto Rican, and what not
Asians: Korean, Chinese, Filipino, and what not...
NYC is what? 10% asian?
Houston isn't really integrated anymore then NYC...
Chicago is like Houston... Houston is diverse no where does it say its a city full of red necks which believe me I want to crush that stereotype as much as you do.
IF anything Chicago is more integrated then Houston, you said it yourself Mexican are new so if like no one speaks english how is that integrated?
Look I'm not trying to say Houston is worth crap, It is a diverse place more then DFW I'll admit (but don't get all haughty...not by an outrageous margin). But There is honestly in my opinion no comparison to NYC.
You guys have really been pushing Houston lately? is there a reason? no honestly...do you feel you city is underrated? Because I've been seeing a lot of Houston pride posts and polls...I'm not trying to exactly get you to stop, I'm just wondering if the community understands that better that leaves room for improvement, instead of pushing pride to an annoying extent, which I'll admit to doing sometimes...

Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I admit that I didn't know that there weren't many Mexicans in Houston pre-1900. I'm actually surprised if true. I'm not sure where you are trying to go with that first opening line though.
just thought i'd point out a little known fact, since most people automatically assume that Houston is a "Mexican city" just because it's in Texas. the influx of mexicans in houston is due to the city's rise in opportunities, because it really isn't all that close to the border.

Quote:
I think I tried to at least put up some actual proof that there are more diverse cities in the U.S. I was hoping you would do the same. Maybe you can get me to change my mind.

I hoped that you could maybe engage in point and counter-point with me, and where we could actually uncover the truth. I don't want to get into just a spouting match trying to make a statement true just by saying it is so.
but what you're not understanding is that those facts are kind of irrelevant to how diverse a city. yes about half of houston's foreign born population is mexican, but there are sooooo many other nationalities here, I don't even know them all

Diversity means a wider variety of things. i keep hearing people making references to rainbows. well, some cities may have larger ribbons of color in their rainbow, but houston has more colors. that's what diversity means. there are some nationalities here that you are not likely to find in any other city except for new york and los angeles

there's no rule that says in order to be diverse, you have to have great numbers of people from each country. especially in a city like houston where virtually every nation in the world contributes to the culture.

Quote:
I give Houston a lot of credit for different things. I did put Houston as #3 in my most important cities for America's survival list.
and i wouldn't doubt that this credit has something to do with houston's energy field, which is all we receive acknowledge for...if that

I swear this city epitomizes the term Underdog.

Quote:
But, it is hard to define and compare integration. Unless one area is well known for ethnically dividing lines in the past, how do you truly determine if a city is more integrated than another?
look at the polls above. now i'll admit, most people are probably just voting off of hearsay, but there's some truth to the numbers. except for the fact that people here actually believe new york is more integrated than houston, but if they want to keep lying to themselves it's fine by me

Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
NYC
for Hispanics: Dominican, Puerto Rican, and what not
Asians: Korean, Chinese, Filipino, and what not...
NYC is what? 10% asian?
all of these nationalities...found in houston. in fact, some of the most prominent latinos in houston are colombian and cuban. not mexican.

Quote:
Houston isn't really integrated anymore then NYC...
yeah ok

Quote:
Look I'm not trying to say Houston is worth crap, It is a diverse place more then DFW I'll admit (but don't get all haughty...not by an outrageous margin). But There is honestly in my opinion no comparison to NYC.
who said there was?

Quote:
You guys have really been pushing Houston lately? is there a reason? no honestly...do you feel you city is underrated? Because I've been seeing a lot of Houston pride posts and polls...I'm not trying to exactly get you to stop, I'm just wondering if the community understands that better that leaves room for improvement, instead of pushing pride to an annoying extent, which I'll admit to doing sometimes...
i'm brand new on this site, so i don't know who has been pushing what, but since you asked, yes i do feel it is underrated and we owe that to the media coverage or lack thereof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.