Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,644,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
When I started looking for a place to relocate, Lakeville, MN was high on my list. If you look at my early posts and read the threads, the MPLS crowd can't even agree with each other. My question threads usually ended with two or three of them in some heated battle over who was being more offensive, completely ignoring the original question.
I posted an ARTICLE from the Star Tribune (of MPLS) with FACTS. I was being a bit cheeky, but as you can see, the MPLS crowd is quick to rush in and start slandering. If that is what the OP is looking for in neighbors, then Minnesota is obviously the better choice.
So Lakeville was high on your list, but you chose to move to Wisconsin instead because of comments from some posters on City Data.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:38 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
I prefer Wisconsin to Minnesota, but both are nice, and each state has its trade-offs. If you prefer larger cities, go with MN since the Twin Cities are > Milwaukee (although you are closer to Chicago). If you prefer medium or smaller cities, I would go with Wisconsin.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:47 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,974 times
Wisconsin has better smaller-mid sized cities. Minnesota has the superior metro. Western WI and Eastern/Doutheastern MN are mirrors of one another geographically.

Culturally I'd say MN is a bit more reserved, slightly better educated, a tad more Northern European. Wisconsin feels a bit more like the Great Lakes culturally and has a far superior set of shorelines.

Lots of folks bag on WI politics as of late. MN currentky has a surplus, but also has a weird history of electing weird political figures.

Milwaukee IMO is disappointing, but Madison is a terrific area. In MN the major university (and multiple small private schools) are in the major metro (Twin Cities) so MPLS/STP has an interesting mix of young, creative, hipster vibe with lots of arts and theatre programs.

Duluth is shrinking but a cool town (really really cold actually in winter). Appleton area in WI is strong economically.

I prefer the Twin Coties metro to any one metro in WI. To me the rural areas are similar enough (farmland in the southern areas, woods and lakes up north) that they are a wash.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,576,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
When I started looking for a place to relocate, Lakeville, MN was high on my list. If you look at my early posts and read the threads, the MPLS crowd can't even agree with each other. My question threads usually ended with two or three of them in some heated battle over who was being more offensive, completely ignoring the original question.
I posted an ARTICLE from the Star Tribune (of MPLS) with FACTS. I was being a bit cheeky, but as you can see, the MPLS crowd is quick to rush in and start slandering. If that is what the OP is looking for in neighbors, then Minnesota is obviously the better choice.
The only person who directly responded to you was Ghengis who is known to joke around, but in all fairness Wisconsin is known for some quite famous serial killers.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:55 PM

300 posts, read 345,399 times
Just like one person mentioned on here and from me living in the city for a long time, avoid Milwaukee. In my opinion, while I miss my friends (and places to go for a custard), there is really nothing worthwhile I would move back there for. The entire metro literally feels like you are going back in time. Most of it is entirely blight and\or blue collar. Even most suburbs like West Allis feel very old. Employment is stable\stagnant and I never heard of any employment booms. Not since the manufacturing jobs left the area after the 1980's. I find it an overall depressing place to be in with exception of the lakefront and Brady St.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
Just like one person mentioned on here and from me living in the city for a long time, avoid Milwaukee. In my opinion, while I miss my friends (and places to go for a custard), there is really nothing worthwhile I would move back there for. The entire metro literally feels like you are going back in time. Most of it is entirely blight and\or blue collar. Even most suburbs like West Allis feel very old. Employment is stable\stagnant and I never heard of any employment booms. Not since the manufacturing jobs left the area after the 1980's. I find it an overall depressing place to be in with exception of the lakefront and Brady St.
That is so biased. Please take this post with a grain of salt, anyone who doesn't know Milwaukee. I'm from Minnesota, originally, and much prefer Wisconsin (and Milwaukee). I'm not going to going to get into an argument over this with someone with such a bias. Just go, OP, and judge for yourself.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,644,456 times
Rochester, Mankato and Northfield are some interesting cities/towns to check out in Minnesota. Rochester is supposed to be heading to another employment boom with Mayo research (at least that's what they say in the news). St. Cloud is not bad either, but for some reason I never really liked that place.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
That is so biased. Please take this post with a grain of salt, anyone who doesn't know Milwaukee. I'm from Minnesota, originally, and much prefer Wisconsin (and Milwaukee). I'm not going to going to get into an argument over this with someone with such a bias. Just go, OP, and judge for yourself.
Are you not missing the part where it says "in my opinion?" Also, I've lived in Milwaukee for over 20 years. Besides, I have a lot of sources underneath my sleeve that will back me up. Not a place to be if your a minority as proven by Journal Sentinal; Wallethub ranks Milwaukee towns and cities above 200 for economy diversification. Also, Milwaukee was even ranked #10 on most dangerous cities list and it is a city spread throughout Milwaukee County, not an independent city mind you.

Wisconsin tops nation in black joblessness, study finds

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...onomies/10852/

Milwaukee #10 on Forbes’ “Most Dangerous Cities” list | FOX6Now.com

Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
Are you not missing the part where it says "in my opinion?" Also, I've lived in Milwaukee for over 20 years. Besides, I have a lot of sources underneath my sleeve that will back me up. Not a place to be if your a minority as proven by Journal Sentinal; Wallethub ranks Milwaukee towns and cities above 200 for economy diversification. Also, Milwaukee was even ranked #10 on most dangerous cities list and it is a city spread throughout Milwaukee County, not an independent city mind you.

Wisconsin tops nation in black joblessness, study finds

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...onomies/10852/

Milwaukee #10 on Forbes’ “Most Dangerous Cities” list | FOX6Now.com
Nice that you looked for the worst things you could. Parts of Milwaukee (and Minneapolis) are dangerous...it's not, typically, random crime. I'm not minimizing that, but that's what it is. If you know where not to go, as in any large city, you should be just fine. My son-in-law is an MD in Milwaukee, and chose it over numerous cities. Also, there are suburbs in every city that aren't the best. You know that. I'm sorry you lived in an area that you didn't love. Your feelings aren't shared by all.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Nice that you looked for the worst things you could. Parts of Milwaukee (and Minneapolis) are dangerous...it's not, typically, random crime. I'm not minimizing that, but that's what it is. If you know where not to go, as in any large city, you should be just fine. My son-in-law is an MD in Milwaukee, and chose it over numerous cities. Also, there are suburbs in every city that aren't the best. You know that. I'm sorry you lived in an area that you didn't love. Your feelings aren't shared by all.
I don't think you understand that it isn't just in "parts." It is in entirety. I've moved around the metro at least a few times to know that. Well if your son likes it there, that's great. Obviously, other than what your son says, I am not sure if you even lived there. Well whatever, your opinion is different than mine obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.