U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,939 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am considering a job in either of the three cities listed.

Which is the best area to raise a young family? We have 2 little ones (3 and 6) so good schools are a must - we want to send our kids to public schools, not private. Cost of living is not an issue and we can spend up to $1.5m. We have heard Atlanta can be rough and schools are not as great, and that Stamford, CT can be a bit snooty. However, we have also heard that CT has very good schools, as well as Boston.

We just want some recommendations from people. It would be very appreciated!!!

Shawn and Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM

50 posts, read 146,425 times
I can't speak for the other cities, but I grew up in the suburbs of Boston and attended the public schools. The schools are grade A and, in my opinion, some of the best of the country.

$1.5m will not buy you as much as you might think, though, in Massachusetts so keep that in mind. My parents, who still live there, told me the other day that their neighbor's house went for $6m. It's a little ridiculous.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:01 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,193 times
The suburbs of Boston are awesome and though there are some very upper-class towns it's not as snooty as Stamford. Plus, if you want to get to the city it doesn't take nearly as long as the Stamford-NYC trip.I don't know too much about ATL but I know someone from Buckhead which is evidently a pretty nice area in the city itself. 1.5 mil might not get as much as you think, as GLPman said, but it will still get you pleeeeenty and more importantly you can live in any town in the Boston burbs you want. Schools are great in Mass too, generally speaking.

Last edited by TheWereRabbit; 02-17-2008 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM

11,875 posts, read 32,904,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshawn84 View Post
Hi all

I am considering a job in either of the three cities listed.

Which is the best area to raise a young family? We have 2 little ones (3 and 6) so good schools are a must - we want to send our kids to public schools, not private. Cost of living is not an issue and we can spend up to $1.5m. We have heard Atlanta can be rough and schools are not as great, and that Stamford, CT can be a bit snooty. However, we have also heard that CT has very good schools, as well as Boston.

We just want some recommendations from people. It would be very appreciated!!!

Shawn and Lisa
The schools in the city of Atlanta can be frightening, but some of the suburbs have much better schools. Or, you can use the money you save on housing and use it for tuition at some excellent private schools in Atlanta. If you want to live IN the city, you can get more for your dollar in Atlanta than in either Boston or Stamford.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,867 times
I lived in greater Boston (Brookline) for 15 years and, while it's a wonderful place to live, I'd have to suggest Stamford. You can get more for your dollar in Atlanta, but it can't compare to living in the Boston area or Stamford area because you're so close to major northeast cities and there is excellent mass transit in Connecticut (to NYC) and also in the Boston metro.

Stamford itself is an expensive city with good schools. Starter homes and small condos are around $500k and your average home will be close to a million dollars. The surrounding towns near Stamford give the area a wonderful reputation like New Canaan, Greenwich, Darien, Westport, etc. These are some of the wealthiest and most expensive towns in the nation, but you get what you pay for. Desirable leafy neighborhoods, among the best public school districts in the nation, easy access to Manhattan via metro north commuter rail, tons of culture (NYC culture mixed with New England culture), beaches and four distinct seasons.

I only went to college there but I think SW Connecticut is one of the most desirable places to live in the world. I don't find people there to be snooty, actually I think they are pretty down to earth for their wealth. I think people in less wealthy places like Atlanta and Dallas are snobbier.

Many fortune 500 companies reside in Stamford and if you do move to Fairfield County, you will be surrounded by many celebrities; it won't be the trashy celebs like Britney Spears and Tom Cruise, but more the well-respected and educated people you see on TV daily- Regis Philbin, Kathy Lee, Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters, Diane Keaton, Meg Ryan, Katherin Heigl, etc. You're likely to see them out and about running daily errands and living modest lives. Connecticut is also home to many intelligent authors and writers.

If you don't mind a modest 4 bedroom home in the Stamford area for $1.5 mil, you will do fine. In other places like Boston and Atlanta, you will find housing that is slightly more affordable (more Atlanta than Boston) but what you pay for in the Stamford area is location, location, and schools!

Also, TheWereRabbit, driving from Stamford to NYC takes less than 30 minutes (except during rush hour) and taking the local train out of downtown Stamford into Grand Central takes 36 minutes.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,381,193 times
Stamford itself is a nice small city, with much to offer-nightlife, shopping, great places to eat, less then an hour to NYC-and located on LI Sound with nearby beaches.

The school system has some issues- especially the secondary level; at least by Connecticut standards- though far better then Atlanta. The surrounding towns of New Canaan, Wilton, Westport, Bethel, Trumbull & Fairfield are nearby with far better schools- a nice home can be had for $1 million and up. And far less in Bethel, Fairfield & Trumbull.

Ridgefield and Redding are also wonderful towns- where a very nice home can be found for over 1 million.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,857 times
I'd go with Atlanta. You're going to get the best value for your money down there.

CT and MA are ridiculously over-priced, and although the people are nice, there is a bit of an elitist/aloof undertone that gets to some people. I guess it just depends on your personality whether you'll like the vibe or not.

Schools in the Atlanta suburbs are good, as are many of the private schools. It's just the inner-city public schools that one would have to worry about.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,017,717 times
boston hands down. atlanta is a reasonable choice too, as it has a lot of culture. just no character.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 10,922 times
Default The South Shore of Boston nice place to raise a family.

I have lived in Hingham, MA most of my life. Hingham school system is great, there is little to no crime in Hingham, if you check the national sex offender site, there are no registered sex offenders in Hingham. The town itself is beautiful. Shopping is handy and a Wholefoods is in the town. Also, your children have plenty to do with events at the town library, Hingham Community Center and Hingham Recreation Center. As for the commute to Boston, my husband take the ferry (40 Min) ($12) round trip, parking $2/day right into the financial area of Boston or now you can take the train which is about a 50 minute ride into town. Downsides to Hingham (there aren't too many) prices of homes are high (but 1.5 M will get you a nice home, 3/4 bed, 2 bath, .5 to 1 acre land in a nice area. Traffic can be tough driving to city during peak hours. The best place to start looking in Hingham is Hingham Center which puts you in walking distance to the town center, library and main playground with fields. It is worth a look!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 AM

30 posts, read 97,113 times
Hingham is snobby and I hate Greenbush, it makes the rest of the old colony lines late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.