Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially "northern" city?
Boston 49 37.12%
Buffalo 9 6.82%
Chicago 14 10.61%
Cleveland 3 2.27%
Detroit 0 0%
Milwaukee 2 1.52%
Minneapolis 18 13.64%
New York 14 10.61%
Philadelphia 18 13.64%
Pittsburgh 5 3.79%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Washington had few settlers or transplants from the south, mostly Midwest and some of the northeast. Plenty of place names in the PNW named after New England towns, few southern ones. There's commonalities between the western states from being newer, and just geographical similarities; but the most of the west has more northern than southern influence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Washington had few settlers or transplants from the south, mostly Midwest and some of the northeast. Plenty of place names in the PNW named after New England towns, few southern ones. There's commonalities between the western states from being newer, and just geographical similarities; but the most of the west has more northern than southern influence
Even the interior West?

Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How so, besides scenery and foliage? You're saying unsweet tea is more popular in NC than sweet tea, or there's far less confederate flags, less of "the south will rise again" types? Both NC and LA are southern states and they have a lot in common like the vast majority of Dixie, especially in rural areas. The biggest distinction is NC is east coast/Appalachian south, and LA is gulf coast/bayou south. The demographics vary slightly with LA having more Cajun and Creole influence, but otherwise they're not that different like you're implying. They both had a plantation slave based economy prior to the Civil War, they have a strong confederate heritage, and rednecks in both states will gladly remind you of that.

I know you live there and all but I'm not buying that its got more in common with PA or NY than LA. I've been to Tennessee right across the border and despite the mountains and lack of black people (which is unusual in most of the south) it wasn't that different to Louisiana. Not enough to be of a separate region.

Even Florida, a state that has been "yankee-fied" to death, is still far more like Louisiana than New York, old white ladies that sound like Fran Drescher and clog up the interstates going 2 MPH, aside.
Yeah dude....like I said...this very important issue clearly means more to you than it does to me. You can be right. It's ok. NC and LA are like Jenny and Forest.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Even the interior West?
Depends on where in the interior West. California got some southern migration in the lower Central Valley, otherwise looks like Arizona and New Mexico was migration from the south large, elsewhere northern migration was much larger. In-migration in recent decades for Arizona was from the north and other parts of the west, but early settlers were southern. California had the most Northeastern transplants, but still a lot more Midwesterners.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n.html#Arizona

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/up...ince-1900.html

Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The history. Everywhere you go in Boston you feel the history of the country's founding. From the cobble stone streets to the old cemeteries. You feel as though you're truly in America.

I'm sure Philly has some of that too but cmon Boston is the city people think of when they think Yankee.
With Independence National Historical Park and Valley Forge National Historical Park, I don't think Philadelphia takes a back seat to Boston or anywhere as a destination to experience the history of the nation's founding. The Brandywine and Princeton battlefields are nearby, as is Trenton, where Washington saved the Revolutionary War cause with his famous Christmas night crossing of the Delaware River and lopsided victory over Hessian troops in Trenton. Nassau Hall, which was a battle site in the Revolutionary War and which once held the entire American government, also is in Princeton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfreth%27s_Alley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_City,_Philadelphia

Then throw in the proximity (admittedly 2 1/2 hours) to Gettysburg, as a destination for "northern" Civil War history.

In total, I think I prefer Philadelphia to Boston as an historical destination, although Boston is in the big three, inclusive of Washington, DC.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The only city I city I could see having a southern influence is Detroit. What other cities have that up north?

I can see the southern influence of Louisiana on the AA population and their neighborhoods in Los Angeles but where is there southern influence in cities up north?
New York and Chicago were the largest destination cities of the Great Migration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...d_destinations

Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I didn't say the Midwest isn't "Northern." If you re-read my post, you'll see I said that the upper Midwest is solidly "Northern." I said that when I hear the term Northern I automatically equate that to be referring to the Northeast. Just like the "South" usually refers to the "Southeast." The Midwest is a defined region,so it's usually referred to by that name and not "northern."

Your question is like asking why isn't the Southwest (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc) "southern" to most people? Obviously because "the south" or "southern" is usually referring to the southeast (which would include both Virginia and Alabama, to answer your question).
When someone says "northern" United States, it always comprehends the Midwest.

Yes, when persons refer to the Midwest, they say "Midwest," and when they refer to the Northeast, they say "Northeast."

Old 08-05-2016, 10:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
When someone says "northern" United States, it always comprehends the Midwest.

Yes, when persons refer to the Midwest, they say "Midwest," and when they refer to the Northeast, they say "Northeast."
Actually that's not true. Lots of people, especially on C-D, usually only mean the Northeast when they say "Northern." People usually specify the Midwest if they are speaking of that region.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually that's not true. Lots of people, especially on C-D, usually only mean the Northeast when they say "Northern." People usually specify the Midwest if they are speaking of that region.
Have you polled them?

The North mostly refers to what is north of the Mason Dixon and the Ohio River. This includes the Midwest. Historically the North was also this.

If you're going by what North originally meant, then it only meant New England.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Have you polled them?

The North mostly refers to what is north of the Mason Dixon and the Ohio River. This includes the Midwest. Historically the North was also this.

If you're going by what North originally meant, then it only meant New England.
I agree that the definition of the North is the Northeast + the Midwest. I've argued such here before.

However, when many people say "the North" on this site in particular, they are only or primarily referring to the Northeast. It's a pretty common thing I've noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.