Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially "northern" city?
Boston 49 37.12%
Buffalo 9 6.82%
Chicago 14 10.61%
Cleveland 3 2.27%
Detroit 0 0%
Milwaukee 2 1.52%
Minneapolis 18 13.64%
New York 14 10.61%
Philadelphia 18 13.64%
Pittsburgh 5 3.79%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:35 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The Census and better yet, history. Traditionally the Union states which included the Midwest were collectively referred to as the North.
The Census has a region called "The North"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Census has a region called "The North"?
Sorry had to make it clear. The Census does NOT have a region called The North so it makes no sense for people to designate it only to the Northeast.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:46 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Sorry had to make it clear. The Census does NOT have a region called The North so it makes no sense for people to designate it only to the Northeast.
Or maybe there is no "North" since nobody seems to recognize such a region. There is a "Northeast" and "Midwest," however.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or maybe there is no "North" since nobody seems to recognize such a region. There is a "Northeast" and "Midwest," however.
That could be it but I think there are similar cultural markers at least across similar latitudes.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:14 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Well that's Iowa. It is a Heartland state and they sure love to own the whole "middle" idea just like Kansas.

But ask anyone from Michigan if they are "Northern" and their answer would be an emphatic "YES" probably followed with "what else would we be, we border Canada". And yes, ask a Michigander if they are Midwestern and they will emphatically say "YES" as well. Then ask them what they consider Missouri or Kansas and they would probably say "The South".

Ask a Minnesota and they too will reply "YES". Ask them if they are Midwest and the answer will probably vary. Some will say "no/yes but we prefer the North" and others will say "it doesn't get more Midwest than us".

Ask a Minnesotan where the South begins and they will probably say:

"Iowa"
That wasn't an Iowan that said it, it was my friend, a Texan. I'm sure most people are on agreement that the "middle" is just another section the Midwest/North. Iowa is still pretty far north regardless of its central location.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That wasn't an Iowan that said it, it was my friend, a Texan. I'm sure most people are on agreement that the "middle" is just another section the Midwest/North. Iowa is still pretty far north regardless of its central location.
No I meant that Iowa's people tend to think that they represent all things Middle America so they own the whole Midwest thing more than anyone. Iowans don't really think of themselves as Northern whereas someone from Michigan, Minnesota, or Chicago would.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Well that's Iowa. It is a Heartland state and they sure love to own the whole "middle" idea just like Kansas.

But ask anyone from Michigan if they are "Northern" and their answer would be an emphatic "YES" probably followed with "what else would we be, we border Canada". And yes, ask a Michigander if they are Midwestern and they will emphatically say "YES" as well. Then ask them what they consider Missouri or Kansas and they would probably say "The South".

Ask a Minnesota and they too will reply "YES". Ask them if they are Midwest and the answer will probably vary. Some will say "no/yes but we prefer the North" and others will say "it doesn't get more Midwest than us".

Ask a Minnesotan where the South begins and they will probably say:

"Iowa"
People that think Missouri and Kansas are the South are very misinformed and incorrect. The Lower Midwestern states are just as much a part of the Midwest as the Upper Midwestern states.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
People that think Missouri and Kansas are the South are very misinformed and incorrect. The Lower Midwestern states are just as much a part of the Midwest as the Upper Midwestern states.
I agree and I consider those the Midwest. Many Rust Belters who have not ever left their home are just basing it off little knowledge they have. Heck, there are some Chicagoans that swear St. Louis is in the South for some reason.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:35 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
No I meant that Iowa's people tend to think that they represent all things Middle America so they own the whole Midwest thing more than anyone. Iowans don't really think of themselves as Northern whereas someone from Michigan, Minnesota, or Chicago would.
That's probably more to do with the fact the "North" doesn't have as strong of a regional pride as the "South." People in the South make a bigger deal about the fact that they're in the South than people in the North do, that they're in the North. But Iowa, like the rest of the Midwest, is definitely in the North. Hell, I consider it to be part of the Upper Midwest.

I always found it baffling though how people label West Virginia as a "Southern" state. I think even Virginia and Kentucky are a bit too far north sometimes but West Virginia practically stretches to the Great Lakes! I think at some point, geography must override culture lol. We allow the South to stretch so far as Kentucky and to some folks, WV.. but yet some people find it hard to accept that the north can stretch even only as far as St. Louis. Cities like St. Louis or Wichita do not reach that far south... cities like Lexington or Richmond, however, are pretty far north.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That's probably more to do with the fact the "North" doesn't have as strong of a regional pride as the "South." People in the South make a bigger deal about the fact that they're in the South than people in the North do, that they're in the North. But Iowa, like the rest of the Midwest, is definitely in the North. Hell, I consider it to be part of the Upper Midwest.

I always found it baffling though how people label West Virginia as a "Southern" state. I think even Virginia and Kentucky are a bit too far north sometimes but West Virginia practically stretches to the Great Lakes! I think at some point, geography must override culture lol. We allow the South to stretch so far as Kentucky and to some folks, WV.. but yet some people find it hard to accept that the north can stretch even only as far as St. Louis. Cities like St. Louis or Wichita do not reach that far south... cities like Lexington or Richmond, however, are pretty far north.
Well if we are talking geography...

From a purely geographical standpoint, the center of the lower 48 is in Lebanon, Kansas. Only West Virginia would stretch too far north to be considered the South. Kentucky would be firmly below this geographic center.

Now, using this argument, the Southern regions of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and most of Kansas would be in the South. Virginia, Maryland, even Delaware are at the upper limits but still below this center. I mean a lot of people don't actually realize how SOUTH these places are in terms of geography. If a city like Baltimore was in Illinois, it would be in the Southern region of the state if at the same latitude. Once you go north of the Carolinas people seem to act like New England begins.

Also, Upper Midwest isn't geographic only but cultural too. It refers to the areas of the Midwest with heavy Northern European influence. Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, and the UP are considered this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.