Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 08:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,244,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
This is just flat out wrong.
You have no clue what you're talking about.

Again, NYC and SF were dirt cheap in the 1970's. They were just as NIMBY back then as now, perhaps even worse back then. These are facts.
Quote:
Clearly you haven't kept up with the major issue that is tearing up LA and even causing the state government to intervene to block the NIMBYism that's causing the severe housing shortage.
You're all over the map and don't even know what you're talking about. Please focus.

We're talking about housing prices, not NIMBYism or housing shortages. Whether or not there's a "severe housing shortage" in LA has nothing to do with housing prices in Coastal CA. State-supported workforce housing in San Bernadino isn't going to make Corona del Mar cheaper for zillionaires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Not by those of us who have made a choice to live there. Obviously, most of us don't care what others think.
Exactly.

My coworkers and I could choose to work literally anywhere. And have a great standard of living.

And we choose North Texas.

Although I have to say it's starting to get annoyingly crowded here, too.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:39 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,896,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But it isn't. In fact it's the exact opposite of flyover country. A 90 minute drive from Manhattan puts you in the middle of NYC-area suburbia. We're talking towns like Westport, Princeton, Huntington.

Um, yeah, they absolutely are. The cost is a direct function of what people are willing to pay.
This is largely because people aren't willing to leave the region their family is in. If you look at these expensive, outlying areas in the northeast, you don't find a ton of transplants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101
That makes no sense. The U.S. is one of the most transient nations on earth, and that has nothing to do with relative housing costs. The periphery of historical population centers are, by far, the cheapest parts of these metro areas.
The areas I'm speaking of are so far out, that no reasonable person outside of this forum considers them connected to the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101
But this has nothing to do with housing costs. Housing prices are only what people are willing to pay. NYC was dirt-cheap in the 1970's, because the city was going in the toilet. It had the same restrictions then as now. SF was cheap too.
I can't find any data supporting your assertion that NYC was cheap in the 70s, but it was definitely one of the most expensive cities in the country during the height of the 80's crack epidemic, so I find it hard to believe that it was dirt-cheap in the 70s.

Also, DC's height-restriction is probably one of largest contributing factors to its high cost of living.

[/quote]

Barstow is like the ass-crack of Southern CA. So, yeah, the absolute worst town in Southern CA probably is somewhat less desirable than an average suburb in Houston. That kind of proves my point, if you're actually comparing such things. LA is obviously much more desirable than Milwaukee, or Houston, and for good reason.[/quote]

Barstow and Bakersfield are NOT LA. They are considerably less desirable than many cities in the interior of the country. That's kind of the point of this entire thread. These costal dumps are pricier than far more vibrant, interesting places away from the coasts.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,934,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It was never "just LA and NYC". The difference is that in recent years, certain metros have separated themselves from the pack in terms of desirability, as certain niche industries hyperconcentrate in desirable locales, and the best and brightest tend to be drawn to those locales.

But this isn't true. You can't force people to pay a price for housing unless they're willing to do so. Coastal CA is so expensive because it's so damn desirable, not because of artificial housing restrictions or whatever.

It doesn't even make sense because the LA metro has built more housing over the last few decades than any other U.S. metro, so not seeing too many housing restrictions.

I mean, how many places on earth are more desirable than Coastal CA? Not too many. That's exactly why it's so expensive.
I think you're confusing two things. LA will always be more deseriable than other cities in the states. That's a given i'm not debating that. What I am debating is bang for buck. Los Angeles is desirable but five sometimes 10 times more expensive than the average city? No man you're crazy if you think that. Your pain five times more for older housing stock in the city with the biggest disconnect between wages and housing costs. Not to mention a big thing propping up the inflation is the injection of foreign cash from places like Asia where the LA property market is seen as a lucrative investment. The problem is artificial restriction of supply.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:45 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,424,648 times
Quote:
Get off it and don't start thinking that this is just boosting. I said almost in the sense that it's no longer just LA and NYC that only offer such things but that they simply offer more and in more variety. I was saying that many things that can be found in LA can be found in an international city such as Houston. That's all. And that you get more bang for your buck too. That's just one example. And I only said overrated compared to the hype. When I first moved to LA I didn't have this grand culture shock. Why? Because I had already experienced a huge variety of international cultures in Houston. I've met and have had foods from India, Russia, Pakistan, Philippines, Guatemala, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Thai, etc etc. LA was just a bigger version. Farmers market? Done. The only thing LA has miles over any other city is scenery. Everything else the gap is not a chasm. Saying otherwise is just boosting on your part.

Have you ever been to other cities anyways? To say that the Grand Canyon gap still exists is to be ignorant and a huge booster.

Last, the situation in CA is more complex than a simple supply and demand desirability thing. Yes, CA will always be more desirable. That's no question. It has superior amenities and qualities about it. I'm not biased like that but the thing that grinds my gears is how much you guys understate the fact that your cities are 5 times the national average cost because of structural problems due to zoning and other issues, not just cus its so desirable. I already explain it in my last post but many are getting hosed due to the artificially restricted supply of housing.
Dc suburbs have alot of ethnic places. Just because its there doesnt mean its almost on par with la or nyc.
theres a differemce you just want to ignore.
Same goes for everythng else i listed. Houston vs la shopping? Neighborhoods?
And houston has a san gabriel valley? Koreatown? Little tokyo?
Really?

And scenery isnt the only thing, please.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 AM

27,261 posts, read 28,327,256 times
I think the major difference is between actual cities, not the suburbs.

If you live in a suburb of New York as opposed to a suburb of Cleveland, how different is your day-to-day life going to be? Not much different, in my opinion. Except you will probably be able to afford much more house in the Cleveland suburb for the same price tag.

The differences used to be much greater in the past. But lifestyles in suburban American are pretty much the same everywhere nowadays.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,424,648 times
"La is a bigger version"

And more people decide to pay more money for it. If it didnt matter, why is there massive population difference?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Dc suburbs have alot of ethnic places. Just because its there doesnt mean its almost on par with la or nyc.
theres a differemce you just want to ignore.
Same goes for everythng else i listed. Houston vs la shopping? Neighborhoods?
And houston has a san gabriel valley? Koreatown? Little tokyo?
Really?

And scenery isnt the only thing, please.
Dude you're too much! Houston lacks the natural scenery of Los Angeles that's a given. But when it comes to shopping and dining I never said there wasn't a gap but that gap has gotten much much smaller over the decades. Little Tokyo is a tiny shopping center what are you babbling on about too? Korea town I will give you. Houston is one of the top three diverse cities in the country along with New York and LA. You can find almost everything there that you can in LA it's just LA has more variety. And it's not comparing DC to New York size variety either

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,244,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is largely because people aren't willing to leave the region their family is in. If you look at these expensive, outlying areas in the northeast, you don't find a ton of transplants
None of this is true. The NYC region tends to more transient than other regions, and this fact has nothing to do with relative housing costs.

In fact Manhattan is among the most transient counties in the U.S., yet is the most expensive county. Detroit and Cleveland metros are among the least transient metros yet are dirt cheap.

Quote:
The areas I'm speaking of are so far out, that no reasonable person outside of this forum considers them connected to the metro.
This isn't true either. No one (except for you, apparently) would think that somewhere like Huntington, LI isn't part of the NYC metro area.

Quote:
I can't find any data supporting your assertion that NYC was cheap in the 70s, but it was definitely one of the most expensive cities in the country during the height of the 80's crack epidemic, so I find it hard to believe that it was dirt-cheap in the 70s.
Not my fault if you refuse to Google.

Prime parts of NYC were absolutely booming in the 1980's, so were obviously much more expensive than in the 70's.

I have no idea what you mean by "80's crack epidemic" which has nothing to do with anything. Crack was a nationwide phenomenon, not unique to NYC, and has nothing to do with high-end RE costs.

Quote:
Also, DC's height-restriction is probably one of largest contributing factors to its high cost of living.
Completely ridiculous. Height restrictions have nothing to do with housing costs, DC tends to be pro development, with generous zoning rules, and not even 10% of the DC metro is within DC city limits.

Downtown DC has basically out-built 99% of the U.S. city cores in recent years, so going by your theory should be cheap.

Quote:
Barstow and Bakersfield are NOT LA. They are considerably less desirable than many cities in the interior of the country. That's kind of the point of this entire thread. These costal dumps are pricier than far more vibrant, interesting places away from the coasts.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. The worst, dumpiest desert hellholes in Southern CA are arguably somewhat worse than typical places in the American interior. OK, and? No one claimed that the absolute worst parts of SoCal are better than the best parts of Kansas or wherever.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
"La is a bigger version"

And more people decide to pay more money for it. If it didnt matter, why is there massive population difference?
How is it that you LA boosters don't do your research? Houston just started getting desirable because of the massive job creation and development that happened just a decade ago. And I never argued that it is more desirable than Houston. That would be silly to argue. But that the gap is in the Grand Canyon anymore that's all. That the gap isn't the Grand Canyon anymore that's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.