Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does this have to do with my claim that Los Angeles is more diverse than Houston? T

Welp, it looks like Insider Monkey and its rigorous analysis settles the matter. I'll leave it to 18Montclair or some other Cali booster to dismantle this when tons and tons of data. I'm not in the mood for that sort of thing tonight.

But this is simple enough

Foreign Born

Houston - 22.5%
Los Angeles - 33.8%
That doesn't prove anything other than, well, according to you (and apparently people use all sorts of different criteria to determine diversity), LA has a higher percentage of foreign born people than Houston.

At least I provided sources to back what I was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That doesn't prove anything other than, well, according to you (and apparently people use all sorts of different criteria to determine diversity), LA has a higher percentage of foreign born people than Houston.

At least I provided sources to back what I was talking about.
My source is called the U.S. Census. Do you know of a more reliable source?

I already told you why Los Angeles is more diverse. Not only does it have a larger share of racial minorities, but it also has more diversity among "Whites." The L.A. metro is home to more than 600,000 Jews while Houston has around 40,000. L.A. has more than 200,000 Armenians while Houston has around 2,000. L.A. has around 180,000 Russians while Houston has around 23,000. L.A. has 126,000 Iranians while Houston has 13,000. It also has 3 times as many Arabs as Houston despite its MSA being only about twice the size.

Then if you want to dig into the specifics of the Asian population, Los Angeles opens a big can of whoop ass since there are all types of groups there that aren't found in any significant number in the Houston metro. Houston has fewer Asians than the D.C. Metro area, so do we really want to go head to head here? L.A. beats Houston across the board whether we're talking about Filipino, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.

L.A. even beats Houston on % of foreign born Blacks (7.1% vs 6.9%).

Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My source is called the U.S. Census. Do you know of a more reliable source?

I already told you why Los Angeles is more diverse. Not only does it have a larger share of racial minorities, but it also has more diversity among "Whites." The L.A. metro is home to more than 600,000 Jews while Houston has around 40,000. L.A. has more than 200,000 Armenians while Houston has around 2,000. L.A. has around 180,000 Russians while Houston has around 23,000. L.A. has 126,000 Iranians while Houston has 13,000. It also has 3 times as many Arabs as Houston despite its MSA being only about twice the size.

Then if you want to dig into the specifics of the Asian population, Los Angeles opens a big can of whoop ass since there are all types of groups there that aren't found in any significant number in the Houston metro. Houston has fewer Asians than the D.C. Metro area, so do we really want to go head to head here? L.A. beats Houston across the board whether we're talking about Filipino, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.

L.A. even beats Houston on % of foreign born Blacks (7.1% vs 6.9%).
Thanks for naming your source - a link would be even better.

Your criteria for determining diversity is only one set of criteria. Clearly other people choose other criteria and therefore reach the conclusion that other cities are more diverse than LA - in many lists, Houston outranks LA in diversity. But so what? The point that I and others was making is that Houston is VERY diverse - much moreso than most other US cities and much moreso than many peoples' perception of it.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
I personally never argued that Houston was more diverse than LA but then again the fact that there are even Armenians in Houston boggles my mind. I really thought they were mostly concentrated in LA and few other cities. But the point is that Houston is diverse and the numbers that Bajan posted prove it to even though he was arguing another point entirely.

Foreign born black difference is pretty marginal. So someone is definitely moving some goal posts. How can someone name off so many different groups of people and not come away thinking the city is diverse?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
How has a thread about states devolved into LA vs. Houston

Old 07-05-2016, 08:17 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Look at the amount of threads for Texas and North Carolina.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Because it's cheap and has the perception of a friendly business climate. Nobody is dying to move to Texas.
It's also got every climate like CA. Not a bad choice at all.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
How has a thread about states devolved into LA vs. Houston
Because of a few Texas homers who won't accept the fact that Texas has a branding issue and outsiders perceptions tend to be skewed negative whether its based on fact or not.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:35 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's also got every climate like CA. Not a bad choice at all.
Where can one find a Mediterranean climate, cool oceanic, or boreal climate within Texas?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Because of a few Texas homers who won't accept the fact that Texas has a branding issue and perceptions tend to be skewed negative whether its based on fact or not.
All I argued was for was that Houston is diverse and a big city. That's all. But I can't even have that apparently because it would counter the negative perception and branding issue of it being a honkeyville that's just a bigger version of Tucson. LOL.

I think the perception is skewed negative but that's because of the goal post moving and narrative affirming stuff that's said on here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.