U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,055 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking to relocate to either Houston, D.C or Nashville. I grew up in Miami but I currently live in Atlanta and I hate it. My commute is over an hour long, the dating scene is horrible for me and jobs are hard to come by. Overall I am just looking for a new place to call home. A little about me, I am an African American woman in my late 20's with no kids. I do have a degree in finance and I'm also looking to attend Grad School for my masters in Accounting. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I've been going back and forth with this for over a year now. If there are other cities you can recommend please feel free to list them.

My list of things I'm looking for in a city:
4 seasons
Walkable city ( somewhat)
Great economy
Diverse (similar to Miami)
Great colleges
Good nightlife
Museums, parks, and festivals

If i can find majority of these things in a city, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 AM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Would you consider places out West? I only ask because areas out West tend to have more men than women.

Another area that comes to mind may be the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area. Perhaps Raleigh/Durham too.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie3 View Post
Hello. I'm looking to relocate to either Houston, D.C or Nashville. I grew up in Miami but I currently live in Atlanta and I hate it. My commute is over an hour long, the dating scene is horrible for me and jobs are hard to come by. Overall I am just looking for a new place to call home. A little about me, I am an African American woman in my late 20's with no kids. I do have a degree in finance and I'm also looking to attend Grad School for my masters in Accounting. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I've been going back and forth with this for over a year now. If there are other cities you can recommend please feel free to list them.

4 seasons
Great economy
Great colleges
Good nightlife

Do you have more specific reasons for hating Atlanta? The long commute sounds like it is understandably souring your experience but I don't think D.C. or Houston commutes are significantly better if you also choose to not live by where you work.

Also, what specifically about the Atlanta dating scene did you think was horrible or that would be different in Nashville or Houston?

It sounds like you are focused on living primarily in the southern portion of the U.S. If this is not the case then I would recommend giving Chicago a look.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:30 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,273,953 times
Quote:

4 seasons- No
Walkable city ( somewhat) Not very walkable overall. Walkability is limited to a few neighborhoods
Great economy Still relatively strong despite oil downturn. Economy in Houston much more diversified than people realize.
Diverse (similar to Miami) Houston is extremely diverse.
Great colleges- Rice is fantastic, with regards to all others, rather mediocre. The state flagship universities (UT, A&M) have often weekend Master's programs in all the big Texas cities. Probably depends on degree program. That might be an option.
Good nightlife- Don't have a lot of experience with nightlife anymore, but I'd say Fair to Good.
Museums, parks, and festivals Yes

Depending on what you don't like about Atlanta, I'm not sure Houston would be a good substitute. If you dislike the traffic congestion and sprawl of Atlanta, you'll find Houston even worse in that regard.

I have given my opinion about your specific questions above with regards to Houston (which is where I am from and recently relocated back to after many years away).

Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:

4 seasons
Great economy
Great colleges
Good nightlife

Washington DC nails each of your criteria. Is it more expensive? Yes, but a great many in your exact situation make it work each and every day. Colleges like George Mason U, U of Maryland, Catholic U, Howard U, George Washington U, American U and Georgetown U are excellent options for grad school too.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Do you have more specific reasons for hating Atlanta? The long commute sounds like it is understandably souring your experience but I don't think D.C. or Houston commutes are significantly better if you also choose to not live by where you work.

Also, what specifically about the Atlanta dating scene did you think was horrible or that would be different in Nashville or Houston?

It sounds like you are focused on living primarily in the southern portion of the U.S. If this is not the case then I would recommend giving Chicago a look.
I guess coming from Miami, it seems segregated here. It was a culture shock. I never like the sprawl and not many activities going on besides the strip club, church and eating. It's hard to find festivals, plays or different activities here in Atlanta. The dating scene is not very good. A lot of gay men are here and the men that are straight are taken. I thought everyone was kidding when they said Atlanta is a man's playground.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
Minneapolis has all those (except diverse - it's a fairly segregated city geographically but does have some interesting cultures you don't find much elsewhere like Somolian and Hmong). Economy is great. U of MN in in Minneapolis and tons of private colleges. Tremendous public amenities (park system #1 in nation, most bike friendly city in the US) and daily free arts and festivals in the summer. Progressive educated area with an incredibly strong and stable economy. But yes it's really cold Dec-March.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM

992 posts, read 938,555 times
Chicago or St. Louis; 4 seasons, short commute (if you choose to train it in Chicago), both have good colleges and nightlife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or