Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 02:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
True, but most of the midrise housing in NYC isn't tenement-style housing. It's mostly elevator buildings, from the 1920's boom, and then from the 1950's-1960's boom.

19th century tenements aren't common in NYC outside of core Manhattan, and even then, they don't dominate except for a few parts of the Lower East Side, Clinton and the like. Even the South Bronx is mostly from the 1920's and 1930's.

The typical midrise housing typology in NYC is like this (where a friend of mine lives in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn)-

A six or seven floor elevator apartment building, converted to a co-op, probably dating from the late 1940's or early 1950's. This is standard Outer Borough middle class housing, not for the rich or for the poor. It's the NYC equivalent to the South Philly rowhouse or the Boston triple-decker; ie, where the regular people typically live.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/96...105c59!6m1!1e1
Interestingly, the tenements tend to be quite pricy to live in due to their prime location.

Based on the housing stock alone, someone might think the LES and Alphabet City are bad neighborhoods at first glance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 03:25 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are the rowhouses in Philly single family townhouses or are they typical 3 story buildings built next to each other? Probably both I'm guessing.
Correct. It is a mix everywhere. I live in a 4 story row house with only stairs. There is 8 units. I shared a house with two buddy's before were we had all 3 floors of the place. Had a 2 story row house one time. Lived on the bottom floor of a 3 floor row house that had a unit on each floor. My next door neighborhoods are just an old couple who still own the big mansion to themselves.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Correct. It is a mix everywhere. I live in a 4 story row house with only stairs. There is 8 units. I shared a house with two buddy's before were we had all 3 floors of the place. Had a 2 story row house one time. Lived on the bottom floor of a 3 floor row house that had a unit on each floor. My next door neighborhoods are just an old couple who still own the big mansion to themselves.
Interesting, that's what I figured. That graph is inaccurate in that case, as many rowhouses are not "single attached units".

Old 07-09-2016, 03:56 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Interesting, that's what I figured. That graph is inaccurate in that case, as many rowhouses are not "single attached units".
No, I think the graph is correct. Subdivided rowhouses are rare when considering the entire city.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, I think the graph is correct. Subdivided rowhouses are rare when considering the entire city.
yes was going to say it probably is right. There are only so many that are chopped up. I just rent, so I have lived in a few.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
yes was going to say it probably is right. There are only so many that are chopped up. I just rent, so I have lived in a few.
But what about those 3 story buildings all over North Philly? I have to imagine most of those are multi unit. Maybe they're not considered rowhouses, though.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
But what about those 3 story buildings all over North Philly? I have to imagine most of those are multi unit. Maybe they're not considered rowhouses, though.
Why can't a three story rowhouse be one unit? I've lived in three story rowhouses myself. often the third story was originally designed just for storage, and even today only adds another two bedrooms.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Why can't a three story rowhouse be one unit? I've lived in three story rowhouses myself. often the third story was originally designed just for storage, and even today only adds another two bedrooms.
Hmm good point

Well what do you think about these 3 story buildings are most likely?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9839...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 07-09-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Hmm good point

Well what do you think about these 3 story buildings are most likely?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9839...2!8i6656?hl=en
kensington is mostly single family homes.

However, if you look at these down the road a little

these are apartments. You can tell by the front doors in my opinion. Apartments will have two sets of front doors with people's mailboxes usually in between the doors.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
kensington is mostly single family homes.

However, if you look at these down the road a little

these are apartments. You can tell by the front doors in my opinion. Apartments will have two sets of front doors with people's mailboxes usually in between the doors.
So the street view I posted shows mostly 3 story single family buildings?

And isn't the neighborhood I posted considered Cecil B Moore? Then again it seems like Kensington is broadly used, an area that I thought was considered Fairhill I heard referred to as Kensington by a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.