U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2016, 02:04 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Reputation: 6091

Advertisements

Not counting those cities in New Jersey that are right across the river from Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,439 posts, read 11,944,656 times
Reputation: 10547
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not counting those cities in New Jersey that are right across the river from Manhattan.
It depends upon what you call a "high concentration." Both Chicago and Miami certainly have a lot along their waterfronts however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 02:17 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It depends upon what you call a "high concentration." Both Chicago and Miami certainly have a lot along their waterfronts however.
It's hard to describe what I mean exactly by high concentration. But I guess like Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and most of Queens where you see a lot of mid rise and high rise buildings in the housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:13 PM
 
Location: East Coast
59 posts, read 55,435 times
Reputation: 85
No place has what you're talking about to the extent that Manhattan does, Chicago and Miami are big but Manhattan is enormous. Google it you'll find numbers and figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:15 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
No place has what you're talking about to the extent that Manhattan does, Chicago and Miami are big but Manhattan is enormous. Google it you'll find numbers and figures.
I'm wondering if any other city can even match the outer boroughs (excluding the suburban parts) in terms of density
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:18 PM
 
Location: East Coast
59 posts, read 55,435 times
Reputation: 85
Rereading your question I see what you mean, Manh, Bk, Bx and Qns do have tons of mid rises and tenements and I also see similar in Philly but just not to the extent NY has them. So to answer, other cities like the ones you mentioned do just not like NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:23 PM
 
Location: East Coast
59 posts, read 55,435 times
Reputation: 85
When I lived on SI I had to travel between hospitals in the boroughs and I would pass tons of shorter 5-10 storied mid rises and larger. Mostly housing stock but it was crazy to see how many there were. Philly has a stretch of a few miles of them but I've personally never seen anything like NY. Cool topic though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:38 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
Rereading your question I see what you mean, Manh, Bk, Bx and Qns do have tons of mid rises and tenements and I also see similar in Philly but just not to the extent NY has them. So to answer, other cities like the ones you mentioned do just not like NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
When I lived on SI I had to travel between hospitals in the boroughs and I would pass tons of shorter 5-10 storied mid rises and larger. Mostly housing stock but it was crazy to see how many there were. Philly has a stretch of a few miles of them but I've personally never seen anything like NY. Cool topic though.

Philly mostly just has 2-3 story rowhouses though, and the occasional high rise here and there.

But yeah, the 5-10 story residential buildings are super common in NYC, even outside of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM
 
Location: East Coast
59 posts, read 55,435 times
Reputation: 85
I know there's a highway in Philly I just don't have the time to Google now but there's stretches of tenements that go on for some while. They look like Starret City or NYCHA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
I know there's a highway in Philly I just don't have the time to Google now but there's stretches of tenements that go on for some while. They look like Starret City or NYCHA.
Interesting, next time I'm in Philly I'll try to look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top