Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
In NYC, Upper East Side, SOHO, West Village, Chelsea, Tribeca- these neighborhoods will drain your bank account fast!
Okay, when I first started reading your post I saw SOHO and I though H.E. double hockey stick's no, then I continued to read and see what your saying!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Not meaning to attack you, but that is completely false. The worst areas by far in NY state are all in or right around NYC. Right now and historically, the Bronx alone has had areas that are much worse than any area in NY state, they make Buffalos worst areas look nice. As far as crime, there are still really dangerous areas in NYC, specifically areas in the South Bronx, South Queens and Queensbridge, North and East Brooklyn, and Uptown Manhattan(although that area has improved a lot). Dont let NYCs murder rate fool you, there are neighborhoods in the city with many many times that rate, much higher than any other place in NY state. Just to correct you.
+1, Correctamundo. I just moved out of one of those areas.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
For Maryland it's very very very easy Baltimore, but it's being said the Prince George county will surpass Baltimore in crime in the near future!!!

Hell no slim..pg is on a upswing and crime is down....we're about wealth not about foolishness.....come to the outer parts of the Beltway and see what im talking bout.....I wish Bmore folks would actually travel outside of bmore half of yall dont even know PG is the wealthiest african american majority county in the nation....or yall dont want to know

Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Camden, Irvington, West Newark, parts of Paterson, a lot of Trenton, and Greenville Jersey City.
There's more too..

Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodovico1984 View Post
How did Newark, and Irvington not make the list. Take a drive down the Garden State Parkway sometime most digusting cities ever
Disgusting?
From the Parkway, EO and Irvington don't look that bad visually (from the parkway anyway). The city has nice architecture, they were once middle class cities until crack took over.

Now the turnpike can be disgusting. Elizabeth-Carteret-Linden, egh.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
In D.C.: Certain blocks in NW, most of NE, most of SE, most of SW.

In Maryland: Baltimore City, PG county (inside the beltway), Montgomery County (Certain Parts of Takoma Park, Silver Spring, East Rockville- Lincoln Park and parts of Twinbrook, Wheaton, Gaithersburg, and Germantown.)

Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM

39 posts, read 67,665 times
illinois: east. st louis, some neighborhoods on the southside (englewood, roseland, washington park, etc...) some neighborhoods on the west side (west garfield park, north lawndale, austin, etc...) and then prob some south burbs (harvey, robbins, ford heights)

Old 04-29-2010, 03:37 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intil90 View Post
illinois: east. st louis, some neighborhoods on the southside (englewood, roseland, washington park, etc...) some neighborhoods on the west side (west garfield park, north lawndale, austin, etc...) and then prob some south burbs (harvey, robbins, ford heights)
Thats East St Louis in general and Chicago neighborhoods Im guessing... Dolton seems to be going downhill a little bit too...

I travel alot and I have family and friends in some of every city in America. I visit alot of them regularly and have lived in alot cities. For those who do travel to alot of places here is a general list of some of the roughest parts of cities Ive been to or heard of. Not trying to put anyones neighborhood on blast, but for tourist some of these places one should be very careful if they visit. Im only naming a few....

New York City - Bedford-Stuyvesant, Flatbush, Crown Heights, East New York, Redhook, Southside Jamaica Queens, South Bronx, (I would not say Harlem in general being there has been alot of changes since I was last there, but East Harlem still seems very dangerous especially around the Robert Wagner's close to where I stayed at while in Harlem) there are more of course, but Im just naming a few....

Los Angeles - Watts, Crenshaw District, Imperial Courts, Nickerson Gardens, Jordan Downs, East LA, MacArthur Park...

Chicago - Englewood (lived there for a while) Humboldt Park, North & South Lawndale, East & West Garfield Park, Roseland, Austin, (parts of Pilsen and Rogers Park are considered Dangerous) Woodlawn, Over East, Jeffery Manor, Auburn/Gresham, Back of the Yards, (parts of Bronzeville that havent been gentrified yet) Some of the Southside Suburbs such as Harvey, Chicago Heights, Calumet, etc...

Detroit - Eastside, Brightmoor, Highland Park (actually is another city) parts of the Southwest side... Most of Detroit's Eastside & Westside is very dangerous, but some streets would be McNichols & Wyoming, Schafer, Dexter, Mack ave, Livernois, Davidson, Linwood, Joy Road, Fenkell, Grand River, Schoolcraft, Outer Drive, etc...

Others in general

Miami - Overtown, Little Haiti, Liberty City

Atlanta - Bankhead, Mechanicsville, Cleveland Ave, Memorial Drive, Edgewood (going thru some major gentrification) Decatur (Flatshoals, Gresham, Candler Road) Vine City, Cascade Road (East of 285) Campbellton Road, Pittsburgh, etc...

Dallas - OakCliff, Pleasant Grove parts of the Westside

Fort Worth - Eastside, Berry Street, parts of Seminary Ave...

Houston - Third Ward, Fifth Ward, McGowen & Live Oak, South Park, etc

Washington DC - Anacostia (I actually got lost at night once on Good Hope & MLK) most of Southeast DC, Barry Farms, Northeast, the area around Howard University... parts of PG County inside the Beltway....

Orlando, FL - Washington Shores, Carver Shores

Dayton - Westside, Dunbar area, Third Ave (parts of Trotwood)

Columbus, OH - Eastside

Cincinnati - Over-The-Rhine (was actually rated one year as the most dangerous neighborhood in the US)

Cleveland - Glenville, Kinsman, 105th & Superior, East Cleveland, Hough, parts of the west side

Toledo - ONYX, Northside, The Old South End, Weiler Homes, Brandwhitlock Homes, Central Toledo... (Toledo's crime rate has drastically increased in the past year, however in 2007 this city had the lowest murder rate in the midwest for a city its size)

St. Louis - Northside, Euclid & Page, Kings Highway, parts of Southside closest to Downtown...

Norfolk, VA - Olde Huntersville, Tidewater Gardens, Park Place

New Orleans - Third Ward, Central City, Uptown, Lower Ninth Ward

Flint - Northside, Hamilton & Saginaw, MLK...

Again this is a list of places Ive been to or lived in or have friends and relatives from... This is only my knowledge

Last edited by lastonestanding; 04-29-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Granted southeast I believe is only 100k ppl give or take a few thousand

High crime rates, associated with drug trade, reached a peak in the 1990s. In 2005, 62 of Washington, D.C.'s 195 homicides occurred in the 7th District of the Metropolitan Police Department, which also includes the neighborhoods of Barry Farm, Naylor Gardens, and Washington Highlands. This figure is down from the 7th District's peak of 133 homicides in 1993.[5]

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
We all know about Camden, NJ, Detroit, Little Rock & New Orleans. Those in NYC, California, Florida may also have troubles pinpointing a hotspot. But how about other places?
Which part of your town or state will you go out of your way to avoid?
I'd say that Kansas City and St. Louis are probably a tie.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.