U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Midwestern Rust Belt city has made the strongest recovery?
Detroit 5 8.77%
Cleveland 10 17.54%
St. Louis 11 19.30%
Milwaukee 11 19.30%
Cincinnati 20 35.09%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2016, 12:58 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 1,431,826 times
Reputation: 2169

Advertisements

Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,514 posts, read 3,968,032 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I'm talking cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and St. Louis... Which cities have the most projects going on downtown, etc.
In evidence of its strong recovery, in 2015 Site Selection Magazine ranked Cincinnati among the nation's top five metros of over 1-million in the number of construction projects. In the Midwest, Cincinnati ranked second, only behind Chicago and well ahead of other peer cities; nationally, it ranked fourth, only behind Chicago, Houston, and Dallas:

Top Metropolitans of 2015: Dare to be Greater || Site Selection Online

...and a year before that, the prestigious business publication ranked Cincinnati in similar fashion:

Top Metros: Strength in Diversity || Site Selection Online
_________________________________________________

From the second article, one quote provides apt summary:

“Greater Cincinnati is not an overnight success,” says Johnna Reeder, president and CEO of the Regional Economic Development Initiative (REDI) Cincinnati. “While other regions fought to hang on during the 2008 recession, Cincinnati doubled down with investment in infrastructure and housing. It’s created an environment where new companies are moving to town and expanding. Cincinnati is hot right now.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 08:05 AM
 
5,805 posts, read 8,571,065 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Pittsburgh.
for the 1000000000000000000000000000 time, it's NOT the Midwest. Its a Northeastern Rust Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,514,463 times
Reputation: 1861
Is Cinncinnati nice? I want to experience the midwest because I have never lived there before, but I have a lot of friends from the Midwest. People tell me to really experience the midwest I have to go to Milwaukee or Minneapolis but I geniunely fear the Winters up there might kill me (I don't know how to survive in real winter). Looks like the unemployment rate is low..... There must be some hills around town because it isn't far from the Appalachian mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 PM
 
Location: East of the Appaichans
325 posts, read 208,104 times
Reputation: 353
Hard to tell. All except for Milwaukee has lost a lot of people in the last 6 decades or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM
 
2,199 posts, read 2,323,547 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Is Cinncinnati nice? I want to experience the midwest because I have never lived there before, but I have a lot of friends from the Midwest. People tell me to really experience the midwest I have to go to Milwaukee or Minneapolis but I geniunely fear the Winters up there might kill me (I don't know how to survive in real winter). Looks like the unemployment rate is low..... There must be some hills around town because it isn't far from the Appalachian mountains.
Cincinnati is exceptionally charming. Minneapolis is probably "nicer" by most people's definition. Milwaukee is a really unique city. Can't go wrong with any of them. St. Louis and Cleveland are also great spots to check out for a taste of the urban Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,721 posts, read 1,405,651 times
Reputation: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Is Cinncinnati nice? I want to experience the midwest because I have never lived there before, but I have a lot of friends from the Midwest. People tell me to really experience the midwest I have to go to Milwaukee or Minneapolis but I geniunely fear the Winters up there might kill me (I don't know how to survive in real winter). Looks like the unemployment rate is low..... There must be some hills around town because it isn't far from the Appalachian mountains.
Cincinnati (and lower-Midwestern winters in general) are much more mild than what you would find in the Upper Midwest. Cincinnati is quite hilly, especially for Ohio. I don't think that Milwaukee or Minneapolis are any more "genuinely midwestern" than Ohio cities, I just think like any other large geographic region there are going to be sub-regions that differ from one another.

I don't know Cincy well enough to give you recommendations but my impression is that it's an old river city that fell on hard times and is seeing revitalization once more. It's a lot more gritty, older and compact than where I live in Columbus. With being old Cincy benefits from some really cool architecture that we miss out on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,514 posts, read 3,968,032 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Is Cinncinnati nice? I want to experience the midwest because I have never lived there before, but I have a lot of friends from the Midwest. People tell me to really experience the midwest I have to go to Milwaukee or Minneapolis but I geniunely fear the Winters up there might kill me (I don't know how to survive in real winter). Looks like the unemployment rate is low..... There must be some hills around town because it isn't far from the Appalachian mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Cincinnati (and lower-Midwestern winters in general) are much more mild than what you would find in the Upper Midwest. Cincinnati is quite hilly, especially for Ohio. I don't think that Milwaukee or Minneapolis are any more "genuinely midwestern" than Ohio cities, I just think like any other large geographic region there are going to be sub-regions that differ from one another.

I don't know Cincy well enough to give you recommendations but my impression is that it's an old river city that fell on hard times and is seeing revitalization once more. It's a lot more gritty, older and compact than where I live in Columbus. With being old Cincy benefits from some really cool architecture that we miss out on.
This kind of digression only steers the thread away from its original purpose - ie, to determine which Rust Belt city in the Midwest has made the strongest recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 AM
 
2,199 posts, read 2,323,547 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
This kind of digression only steers the thread away from its original purpose - ie, to determine which Rust Belt city in the Midwest has made the strongest recovery.
Oh...then, Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,514 posts, read 3,968,032 times
Reputation: 1858
Whenever Midwestern Rust Belt city recoveries are being examined, their return to manufacturing becomes important. From such a related article:
The U.S. Cities Where Manufacturing Is Thriving | Newgeography.com

...and that article's enclosed chart:
Large Cities Manufacturing Jobs - 2016 Best Cities Rankings | Newgeography.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top