U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern Rust Belt city has made the strongest recovery?
Detroit 5 8.77%
Cleveland 10 17.54%
St. Louis 11 19.30%
Milwaukee 11 19.30%
Cincinnati 20 35.09%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,227,304 times

Advertisements

I'm talking cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and St. Louis. Cast your vote and explain why. Which cities have gained population from the lows they hit, which ones are gaining population today vs. losing population, etc. Which cities have the most projects going on downtown, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 12:49 PM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
I voted Cincinnati which while flying under the radar has shown a lot of redevelopment, particularly downtown. Detroit gets a lot of bad-mouthing, however anyone familiar with what Dan Quinn (Quicken Loans) has done/is doing have it on the verge of passing other Rust Belt cities over the next several years.

Forbes Welcome

Old 07-08-2016, 01:13 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Probably Cincinnati, but it wasn't quite as industrial as the others so deindustrialization didn't affect it as much.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,675,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I voted Cincinnati which while flying under the radar has shown a lot of redevelopment, particularly downtown. Detroit gets a lot of bad-mouthing, however anyone familiar with what Dan Quinn (Quicken Loans) has done/is doing have it on the verge of passing other Rust Belt cities over the next several years.

Forbes Welcome
I think you mean Dan Gilbert?

Anyway, yeah, Detroit is a very close second. Just watching development news for the downtown area, almost every single abandoned building is being renovated and refilled, and plenty of empty lots are seeing infill as well. It's truly impressive, and is a great comeback story in the making.

But my #1 vote goes to Cincinnati. It's probably the only Midwestern city with any neighborhood seeing gentrification on a coastal city level, and that's being done in the OTR neighborhood (which is spectacular btw). Cincinnati also has a very strong corporate base and thus is recovering quicker than its peers. There's a lot of development downtown going on as well, it's pretty damn impressive. And it's not just downtown either; other 'hoods such as Walnut Hills and Uptown are seeing a lot of new stuff going on as well. Because its renaissance is so widespread, compared to the other cities here where it's only in and around downtowns, Cincy gets my vote.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I think you mean Dan Gilbert?
Yep! I blame it on the heat!

Old 07-08-2016, 03:39 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,321,104 times
None. To be the strongest, one of them would have to be making a strong recovery, when in reality, the best of them are seeing modest recovery and there are a couple candidates for "not actually" or "barely" recovering on that list.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:48 PM

521 posts, read 479,887 times
Pittsburgh isn't on the list.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:19 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,963,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Pittsburgh isn't in the Midwest.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,962,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Pittsburgh isn't in the Midwest.
Hopefully, ASAP, the OP will settle this hot button issue before it quickly derails the thread; it's been debated, ad nauseam, elsewhere.

Other such issues that will derail the thread are dwelling on either the parameters of the Rust Belt or on two other large cities that weren't included, Columbus and Indianapolis.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,627,885 times
1. Cincinnati (has a very clean, conservative feel, a very well managed decline and really smart planning downtown and riverfront area)
2. St. Louis (going crazy with eds/meds right now but shedding old economy just as fast, could really take off if it got its archaic governmental system under control)
3. Milwaukee (never fell is hard as the rest, reflected by not losing near as much as population)
4. Cleveland (still suffering from regional decline, but a lot of good development happening downtown and along Euclid corridor)
5. Detroit (the scale of the destruction will be hard to recover from, bright spots, but Detroit is so much larger and was really a one industry town)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or