Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:28 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,264,797 times

Advertisements

I agree with the opportunity thing people mentioned earlier. I had an engineering professor who graduated from one of the IIT schools in India. He told us that he came to the US with $20 in his pocket and was able to create a successful career. He found it repugnant when people here in the US, with more educational opportunity and more social services than he could dream of in India, would complain about how the government or society or whatever was holding them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:23 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
pretty cool flag
best popcorn in the world
+ In-N-out burger

Old 07-09-2016, 12:42 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I agree with the opportunity thing people mentioned earlier. I had an engineering professor who graduated from one of the IIT schools in India. He told us that he came to the US with $20 in his pocket and was able to create a successful career. He found it repugnant when people here in the US, with more educational opportunity and more social services than he could dream of in India, would complain about how the government or society or whatever was holding them down.
That's the irony of the US and the western world more generally. You give westerners more, they want even more. I don't know if it is unique to westerners or if we're just more "developed" as a whole than other regions of the world and thus fall into that trap.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
That's the irony of the US and the western world more generally. You give westerners more, they want even more. I don't know if it is unique to westerners or if we're just more "developed" as a whole than other regions of the world and thus fall into that trap.
America has become a victim of its own success. People have simply become too comfortable and lazy.

That and the fact that too many people missed the boat on higher educational opportunities. Fortunately, it's not too late to change.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,765,894 times
It has almost every type of climate in the world.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:59 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
That it took us less than 300 years to become the worlds most powerful nation. Most countries on Earth are much older than that and haven't even come close to what we accomplished.

The thing that we have done is destroy what we came here for. Most of our natural beauty has been destroyed by miles of malls, gas stations, movie theaters, strip clubs, bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. How sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.