U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Climate A Significant Factor Causing High Obesity Rates In The US South?
Yes 33 31.13%
No 73 68.87%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,600 posts, read 4,033,357 times
Reputation: 2933

Advertisements

i don't think south are poorest states if you account for the high cost of living up north and west coast.

there are more poor people and obese people in number living in higher population states than those in the south. thus those states have more poverty and more obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:26 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,284,510 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't think south are poorest states if you account for the high cost of living up north and west coast.

there are more poor people and obese people in number living in higher population states than those in the south. thus those states have more poverty and more obesity.
I thought you didnt care about obesity rates and the correlation with the south. Why mention numbers at all for other areas if thats the case, I thought you only care about discussing what causes obesity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,174,643 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
u make weird inferences.

i've said lack of motivation is a main reason for obesity across all income levels but it may be more prevalent among poor people and a contributing factor to their poverty.

water is cheaper than soda and diet soft drinks are same price as coke. the poor also smoke more and abuse alcohol and drugs more. it would obvously save them money not to do these things.

cooking at home saves money especially if a person has a family. cooking at home is generally healthier than eating out.

and obesity has increased as government spending on the poor has increased.

i only brought up race to explain why south has more obese people compared to other areas, as a percentage of population. many studies say black people are more obese than whites. but i also linked to a study that shows black people actually become more obese as income increases.

if there are studies with the opposite conclusions, obviously some of the studies are flawed.
Okay, I'm not even sure what your point is, now. You still seem to be thinking I've suggested poverty is the leading factor for all obesity. I just want to reiterate that is not what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
 
1,292 posts, read 1,130,569 times
Reputation: 2153
So glad I quit trying you all should do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,600 posts, read 4,033,357 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I thought you didnt care about obesity rates and the correlation with the south. Why mention numbers at all for other areas if thats the case, I thought you only care about discussing what causes obesity
i was responding to your premise that obesity rates in the south is a 'negative', similar to air pollution, crime, etc and I am motivated to whitewash it. your premise must be based on a belief that obese people affect your life in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,284,510 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i was responding to your premise that obesity rates in the south is a 'negative', similar to air pollution, crime, etc and I am motivated to whitewash it.
The obesity rates are higher in southern states. Thats just a matter of fact. I provided numerous sources.

I will take mr robotos advice and stop from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,600 posts, read 4,033,357 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
So glad I quit trying you all should do the same.
it is weird how you and others seem to get upset over my arguments. why it is so important to you for other people to believe poverty and obesity are linked.

i'm still waiting for you to demonstrate how you are more credible on this issue than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,600 posts, read 4,033,357 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The obesity rates are higher in southern states. Thats just a matter of fact. I provided numerous sources.

I will take mr robotos advice and stop from here.
ok but you are mixing up two different discussions.

you describe obesity as a 'negative' for the south and for living in the south. this was your premise for me being a homer, that i want to whitewash a 'negative' in the south. my response is i don't see how obesity is a negative to living in the south if obese people aren't doing anything to me.

you and other people who don't live in the south seem to talk a lot about obesity in the south, and poverty in the south , and other things in the south that you view as negative. i find this bizarre.

i also pointed out that there are thousands more obese people in larger populated states that you like, but you focus on the south that has a smaller number of obese people. it seems lke if a state has a greater number of obese people, it has a bigger obesity problem. the number of non-obese people in those states doesn't change that.

the state a person happens to live in doesn't force a person to eat too much, or exercise too little, etc. it does not make a person poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 05:21 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,284,510 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is weird how you and others seem to get upset over my arguments. why it is so important to you for other people to believe poverty and obesity are linked.

i'm still waiting for you to demonstrate how you are more credible on this issue than me.
And you are not as credible as the national institute of health, the cdc or the mayo clinic. They all state that education attainment levels and poverty have a direct correlation with obesity.

http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p...es/PMC3198075/
http://http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/produ...riefs/db51.htm
http://http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/produ...riefs/db51.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,600 posts, read 4,033,357 times
Reputation: 2933
ok

but there is poverty everywhere. why are you so focused on the south? if obesity is a sincere concern of yours, why is it you only talk about it in relation to the south?

my contention is that there may be more obese poor people but the obesity does not stem from the lack of income but rather a higher prevalence of poor lifestyle choices that lead to obesity in other groups of people. i have listed several specific examples of things that poor people do more, like smoke, that cost money. it would be cheaper not to smoke than to smoke. by your logic, they would opt not to smoke because it is cheaper, if they choose to drink sodas because it is cheaper (it isn't cheaper than water though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top