U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Climate A Significant Factor Causing High Obesity Rates In The US South?
Yes 33 31.13%
No 73 68.87%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:28 PM

325 posts, read 252,204 times

Advertisements

I don't think climate plays a very big role. The summer months make outdoor exercise difficult, but it can still be done early in the morning. The rest of the year is pretty conducive to outdoor exercise, minus rainy days and occasional cold. People down here are fat because they eat way WAY too much food and don't move around enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,694,720 times
^This.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM

721 posts, read 301,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I lived in Phoenix which is a very hot city. There was basically two extremes there.

There are alot of very physically active people who take it to the max there but there is also a large segment of the population that lives in a very sedentary lifestyle and eats alot of caloric-laden food.
This is a national phenomenon I think. People these days are either fit or fat, and there aren't many average people in between anymore. We are a nation of extremes.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:06 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,281,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok

but there is poverty everywhere. why are you so focused on the south? if obesity is a sincere concern of yours, why is it you only talk about it in relation to the south?

my contention is that there may be more obese poor people but the obesity does not stem from the lack of income but rather a higher prevalence of poor lifestyle choices that lead to obesity in other groups of people. i have listed several specific examples of things that poor people do more, like smoke, that cost money. it would be cheaper not to smoke than to smoke. by your logic, they would opt not to smoke because it is cheaper, if they choose to drink sodas because it is cheaper (it isn't cheaper than water though).
Read the title. I disagred with climate and now what remains is the south. Thats all for now.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:57 PM

18,654 posts, read 27,097,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
So glad I quit trying you all should do the same.
lol I did on page two. I do not have the energy.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,025,752 times
or the arguments.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,281,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol I did on page two. I do not have the energy.
Lol. Im out too. Notice how he never responds when I provide answers proving him ridiculous or wrong and provide sources i.e. why am I focusing on the south? ANSWER: read the title.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-11-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,025,752 times
i don't believe you even commented on the topic question about weather until your previous post. your first post was about how I am a homer who wants to pull the wool over peoples eyes about obesity in the south. you just wanted to take shots at me. now you are saying you were just talking about the topic all along.

one of your false assertions is that i was denying obesity is more prevalent in the south but i never said that on this topic. i was questioning the theory poverty causes obesity. i pointed out several things that you and others never countered, like the fact water is cheaper than soda, and diet soda costs the same. this is a problem for your assertions if your assertion is that poor only buy the cheapest thing available. i also point out they smoke more, drink more, abuse drugs more, all of which costs money and is not the cheap alternative to not doing those things.

anyway, i'm done talking to you. you and others get so contentious over the topic. you seem to have a disdain for the south in general and obese people. you describe obese people as a 'negative' for a city or state, similar to pollution I guess rather than a private medical issue. is a large number of people with epilepsy, etc a negative for a city or state too.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 03:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 911,644 times
Just because water is cheaper doesn't mean that you are gonna buy water all the time. Being poor doesn't mean you make smarter decisions with money just because you have less of it. Poverty is correlated with obesity, because another side effect of being poor is having a lower level of education, which factors into making poor choices when it comes to food.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,515,864 times
In Summer time it is! Ugh. I started jogging again and I just could not even today with the heat. And now it is cooling down but I think it is going to rain.

Florida Summer is for indoor gym exercise. Late Fall through early Spring is heaven to be outside jogging though. This is one reason Florida is on the skinnier side when it comes to nationwide obesity rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or