U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Climate A Significant Factor Causing High Obesity Rates In The US South?
Yes 33 31.13%
No 73 68.87%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times

Advertisements

Florida is hot but with less obesity because there's beaches to deal with the heat. Compared with Mississippi. Income level also plays a role. When your poor, fast and fatty food is more accessible than fruits, vegetables, fish etc.

I would say I would be more active in Minnesota than Texas. The weather in Minnesota is more favourable to me. Summers are mild and highs are generally in the 80s versus the 90s or 100s. Winters are cold but the snow and ice opens up more outdoor activities that are not or seldom possible down south. Snow is not an excuse to stay inside, it's an invitation to enjoy another season. However with all that being said, no I don't think weather is a primary factor. Income, diet and recreational activities being readily available play bigger factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 05:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,311 times
If you see a higher instance of obesity in a particular racial group it isn't necessarily genetic. It could also be cultural.

It's not genetic. It's not activity. It's food choices.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:04 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
there is a genetic component for many people with obesity. you can look at websites like WebMD and see various studies that say this.

low income being reason for being overweight is not legit. studies have shown that poor immigrants from countries more poor than the US come here and they aren't obese, but the longer they stay in the US they tend to put weight on, and their offspring tend to be more overweight.

also, given poor people have less money, it is more difficult for them to overconsume foods because they will be spending a lot of money over time if they do.

also consider water is cheaper and often free at restaurants, and people have water at home, so it is cheaper for them to drink water than to buy a super size Coke. and water is the healthiest thing to drink. i think sodas are the biggest factor in people being overweight in this country.

Also, cooking meals at home is always cheaper and healthier over the long run than eating out all the time.

here is an interesting article from the NY Times challenging the conventional wisdom junk food is cheaper. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/op...y-cheaper.html

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-09-2016 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
there is a genetic component for many people with obesity. you can look at websites like WebMD and see various studies that say this.

Only if they have true metabolic syndromes. There's no fat gene. There are however learned food choices, values and preferences that would be called...cultural factors.

low income being reason for being overweight is not legit. studies have shown that poor immigrants from countries more poor than the US come here and they aren't obese, but the longer they stay in the US they tend to put weight on, and their offspring tend to be more overweight.

This paragraph literally contradicts your first sentence of the same paragraph. Poor non-fat immigrants tend to become fat poor people? Surely it couldn't be food values, choices and preferences. Something must alter their genetics upon entering the US.

also, given poor people have less money, it is more difficult for them to overconsume foods because they will be spending a lot of money over time if they do.

False. The most calorie dense foods are cheapest (sugars, fats etc). It's more expensive to eat less but fresh and healthy.

also consider water is cheaper and often free at restaurants, and people have water at home, so it is cheaper for them to drink water than to buy a super size Coke. and water is the healthiest thing to drink. i think sodas are the biggest factor in people being overweight in this country.

I agree soda is a big problem. You know that poorer people consume more soda per person? Huh go figure.
Responses in bold

Old 07-09-2016, 06:21 PM

i don' thtink there is any evidence poor people consume more soda per person. again, people with more money will buy more sodas. and water is cheaper than soda, so if it is just about cheap, then they should be drinking water most of the time. i think unsweetened tea bought at the grocery store, is also cheaper than sodas at a store or grocery store. sodas at gas statons are quite expensive b/c u pay for the refrigeration as well.

numerous studies have said their is a genetic component to obesity. not identifyin a specific obesity gene does not mean there is no genetic component to it.

i never said the only reason for obesity is genetics. you make an illogical inference. why would i be talking about sodas if that is the case.

studies have shown poor people from other countries have less obesity, which refutes the low income equals obesity theory. andobviously not evne a majority of poor Americans born in the country are obese, despite having less money. so how do they aford healthy food if it is more expensive.

the NY times article refutes you contenton that eating healthy costs more. if you cook at home, you will spend less.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
i don' thtink there is any evidence poor people consume more soda per person. again, people with more money will buy more sodas. and water is cheaper than soda, so if it is just about cheap, then they should be drinking water most of the time.
You'd be wrong then...
Regular Soda Popular With Young, Nonwhite, Low-Income

Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 PM

soda is popular with everybody especially young people.

again water is cheaper than soda, and easily available at home. that totally refutes your theory that poor people consume more sodas b/c they are cheaper.

you can save a lot of money by drinking water vs sodas and other sugary drinks.

a large soda at a fast food place is 2 dollars, and most people who eat fast food do drive through so they don't get refills. refrigerated sodas at gas statons are not cheap.

if majority of poor people are not obese, income has nothing to do with obesity in poor people. this is a logical proof.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:

again water is cheaper than soda, and easily available at home. that totally refutes your theory.
No it doesn't. My argument isn't that poor people are fatter because they always choose the absolute cheapest food option. My argument is that the south is fatter because of food choices not climate.

A smaller part of my argument is that cheaper foods are also calorie dense and nutrient poor. Many poor people live in 'food deserts' where access to fresh healthy foods is very restricted. Fixed income people can 'feed' themselves more cheaply buying starches, corn and flour based foods, sugars and fats than proteins, quality fats and fiber (fruits and veggies).

And yes despite your opinion, poor people drink more soda than non-poor people. And no that does nothing to refute any of my arguments. Soda is still VERY calorie dense (infinitely more so than water) and also comparatively cheap.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:

again water is cheaper than soda, and easily available at home. that totally refutes your theory that poor people consume more sodas b/c they are cheaper.

you can save a lot of money by drinking water vs sodas and other sugary drinks.

a large soda at a fast food place is 2 dollars, and most people who eat fast food do drive through so they don't get refills. refrigerated sodas at gas statons are not cheap.

if majority of poor people are not obese, income has nothing to do with obesity in poor people. this is a logical proof.
Oh my... Well you got me with that logical proof.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:38 PM

that makes no sense, everybody lives near grocery stores that have fruits and veggies. i think fruits and veggies are more readily available in the south at local farmers markets, roadside stands ,etc. this is an agricultural area.

water is cheaper than soda and more readily avaiable than sodas. if your theory is poor beeline it straight to cheap food, then they would be drinking water. unsweeten tea that u buy at the grocery store is also cheaper than sodas that are bottled.

it doesn't make any sense that non-poor people consume less soda, if they have more money. people who consume soda have a sweet tooth, nothing to do with income.

if you cook at home, you will spend more money and in genera consume less empty calories, because buying at grocery store is buying in bulk compared to eating out.

refute my proof if it is not logical. how can there been skinny poor people if the lack of money means they must eat high calorie foods. how can they afford to eat healthy but not other poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or