U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Climate A Significant Factor Causing High Obesity Rates In The US South?
Yes 33 31.13%
No 73 68.87%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2016, 07:05 PM
 
20,179 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20188

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
The Southern states of the US have always had the distinction of being among the most obese in the country. A lot of the blame is said to go towards the hot, humid weather the Southern US sees.
Who ever said that? It's always been blamed on southern "comfort" food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 PM
 
20,179 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok. many people do argue that hence the confusion.

i think there is a big genetic component as you see more obesity in black and hispanic people than whites. the south has more of both black and hispanic. slower metabolism maybe.

i rarely see people that i would call obese, regardless of skin color.
You don't see that in old videos and photographs of blacks, not even in the 70s. There is something else happening today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 07:58 PM
 
4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
Reputation: 4104
I've heard the opposite on climate in some regards. Apparently baseball players are more easily grown in Florida because you can play year-round.

As for Seattle and Portland, while the urbanites walk in good numbers and being able to walk up a hill is a basic life requirement, (a) much of the region is built in the same pedestrian-unfriendly way as most of the US, and (b) six months of the year are chilly and either rainy or "potentially rainy" half the time. Also both states have desert-like eastern halves with snow in the winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 09:35 PM
 
379 posts, read 204,703 times
Reputation: 162
I am remaining unbiased in this thread so as to facilitate discussion and opinion (I won't try to debate people's decisions on this matter); I will, however, correct certain misconceptions/untruths:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok. many people do argue that hence the confusion.

i think there is a big genetic component as you see more obesity in black and hispanic people than whites. the south has more of both black and hispanic. slower metabolism maybe.

i rarely see people that i would call obese, regardless of skin color.
No race really has a greater genetic propensity towards obesity than another; as has been shown through this thread, poverty/low education plays a huge role in determining obesity, and, unfortunately, blacks and hispanics in the US are more likely to be in poverty than whites.

With that said, some tribes in the Pacific Islands are very susceptible to obesity when they abandon traditional diets for a more Western diet:
WHO | Pacific islanders pay heavy price for abandoning traditional diet


Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
low income being reason for being overweight is not legit. studies have shown that poor immigrants from countries more poor than the US come here and they aren't obese, but the longer they stay in the US they tend to put weight on, and their offspring tend to be more overweight.
Keep in mind that the poor in under-developed countries will be quite thin/skinny; this is because in those countries, the poor literally are lacking in food whatsoever, to the point of malnourishment. The rich in those countries will have all the food they can, since they have all the money to acquire every little scrap of food. Those countries aren't industrialized, and, thus, often can't produce food to the vast extents as seen in industrialized agribusinesses.

In post-industrialized societies like the US, food is produced in great quantities, in expense of great quality, often times (in order to cheapen production). This leads to an effect where the most healthful, least processed foods are the most expensive (as they are much more rare), in contrast to the less healthy, chemical laden junk (which comes through more often, and, thus, is less expensive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,589 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Reputation: 2926
the fact majority of poor people are not obese contradicts and refutes your linking obesity to poverty. obviously poor people don't all make the same lifestyle choices and everybody has different genes.

if your contentio is poverty causes obesity, then it logically follows every poor person should be obese, unless you concede there is a genetic component. your argument is one with severe constraints.

again, water is cheaper than soda and more readily available but you and others claim poor drink sodas more than water. Soda more than anything is the reason behind increase in weight issues in Americans the last 60 years, yet water is much cheaper than it. by your own logic, the poor should be drinking water b/c it is cheap.

in any given city the majority of chain restaurants, fast food, etc is located closer to middle class areas, not near poorer areas.

the reason there are more poor obese people is more of them engage in bad lifestyle choices that result in obesity such as sedentary existence. it isn't related to income.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-09-2016 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 10:07 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,592 posts, read 3,674,133 times
Reputation: 12401
Maybe a crazy idea but.....Hookworm disease was essentially wiped out in the south 100 years ago. I wonder if the CDC has studied whether there might be a genetic defense process at work. After many generations of the local population dealing with the disease, could a defense mechanism have developed that is no longer needed causing weight retention? Around 1910 about 40% of school kids in Mississippi were infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,589 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Reputation: 2926
i looked and confirmed smoking is more common among low income people. cigarettes are not inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 10:14 PM
 
379 posts, read 204,703 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the fact majority of poor people are not obese contradicts and refutes your linking obesity to poverty. obviously poor people don't all make the same lifestyle choices and everybody has different genes.

if your contentio is poverty causes obesity, then it logically follows every poor person should be obese, unless you concede there is a genetic component. your argument is one with severe constraints.
This is all about trends, risks, and likelihood. Obviously not every single poor person in the US is going to be fact; however, what is true is that as a whole, the poor in the US are more at risk of obesity (since they are more at risk of falling into the habits/mindset that contribute to obesity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
again, water is cheaper than soda and more readily available but you and others claim poor drink sodas more than water. Soda more than anything is the reason behind increase in weight issues in Americans the last 60 years, yet water is much cheaper than it. by your own logic, the poor should be drinking water b/c it is cheap.
What type of water are we talking about here? Often times, bottled water is sold at higher price than soda. Here is a simple video that explains why soda can actually be cheaper than bottled water:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
in any given city the majority of chain restaurants, fast food, etc is located closer to middle class areas, not near poorer areas.

the reason there are more poor obese people is more of them engage in bad lifestyle choices that result in obesity such as sedentary existence. it isn't related to income.
Fast food is also quite cheap, and it isn't unlikely for the poor to make the journey just to get fast food; often times, fast food is all they can afford, rather than separately buy the ingredients necessary to make a healthful meal. Even without fast food, the food left for the poor in the US can still be unhealthy; supermarkets (which offer real chance of healthy food, like fruits and vegetables) are rare in extreme poverty stricken areas of the US, with corner stores full of processed junk often being the only food places available.

Those bad lifestyle choices the US poor partake in are the result of low income, as well as lack of education. Low income contributes in that the people aren't as likely to afford the necessary foods, as well as programs (gym memberships, personal trainers, extracurricular activities, etc) needed for a healthful lifestyle; lack of education contributes since the people are less likely to have knowledge about just what is good or bad for their bodies. Low income, in fact, can lead to lack of education (especially in those that lack will), since there is less chance of purchasing the resources (internet, books, etc), that can give one knowledge about healthful habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,589 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Reputation: 2926
if there are skinny poor people, it proves obesity is result of lifesytle choices and/or genetics, not income.

you can get water at fast food places for free or like 25 cents. people have tap water at their home. water is less expensive than soda so you can't say poor drink sodas b/c it is cheap if there are cheaper altneratives to soda.

i think everybody knows eating junk food and not exercising can leave to weight gain. you are acting like poor people literaly know nothing.

and you don't need a gym meberhsip to exercise, walking, running, playing basketball at a playground, etc costs little or nothing. there are gyms that have 10 dollar a month rates.

it is not true supermarkets are rare in poor areas, in my hometown there are 4 or 5 local markets in the poor area. these poor areas also tend to be away from the fast food places so that also contradicts your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 10:30 PM
 
20,179 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is not true supermarkets are rare in poor areas, in my hometown there are 4 or 5 local markets in the poor area. these poor areas also tend to be away from the fast food places so that also contradicts your argument.
You might want to google the term "food desert." Generally, the situation is the opposite of your hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top