U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Climate A Significant Factor Causing High Obesity Rates In The US South?
Yes 33 31.13%
No 73 68.87%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:32 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you don't get to decide for other people which cities they like best. you have never even been to greenville and appear to loathe the south in general. why does obesity levels in the south even interest you. how does it affect your life.

i don't care if there are more obese people in the south because they don't bother me or affect my life and it is a private medical issue.

the solutions to obesity are the same regardless of where you live. if weather is to blame, there is nothing we can do to change that. we have AC in the south and nothing stops people from exercising indoors.

if poverty is to blame, then it appears the soluton is to give poor people more money. but as I've noted, welfare and entitlements have increased exponentially the last 60 years, yet people say obesity has also increased. it seems likely welfare helps subsidize the poor lifesystle choices that lead to obesity.

but as i've pointed out most poor people are not obese despite low income. this is a logical proof that low income is not a reason for obesity. it is more logical to argue that lack of motivaton is more common among poor people, and the lack of motivation to exercise and cook at home (which is also cheaper) leads to more obesity among them. the reasons obese people are obese in the south are the same reason people are obese in other areas regardless of income.

i'd like to point out again that more populated states outside of the south have a higher number of obese people because they have more people. if you are concerned about obesity, it makes little sense to focus on southern states with less obese people while ignoring other states that have more obese people in number.
The American diet in general is the reason for the obesity epidemic. Poor people get fat off of the same foods wealthy people do. The difference is in the options. Wealthier people have the means to incorporate more whole foods into their diet, putting them at a lower risk for being obese. It's possible for most poor people to live off whole foods alone, but they're greatly limited when it comes to variety. Few people want to eat nothing but eggs every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
given it is only hot about 12 weeks a year in the south, and the winters are mild, the weather here on average is more conducive to getting outside compared to colder and snowier places like denver. i don't know where people get the premise it is always hot here. it is a 4 season climate. i play tennis year round and golf year round.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:36 PM

gunion

so how do you explain poor people who are not obese, the vast majority.

genetics?

i've seen studies that have concluded that there is no correlation between income and obesity and that poor people are not more obese.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
gunion

so how do you explain poor people who are not obese, the vast majority.

genetics?

i've seen studies that have concluded that there is no correlation between income and obesity and that poor people are not more obese.
I never said there was a direct correlation between poverty and obesity. I'm saying it could explain the disparity between whites and minorities (which is only drastic amongst women).

There's no telling why someone is not overweight unless you're their personal nutritionist. They could be one of the few poor people that manages to eat healthy or they could be very active and have a body type conducive to shedding weight. Thin doesn't mean healthy, though.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:06 PM

i've seen something about how using a standard BMI to determine obesity for all races is not legit which may be why blacks and hispanics are supposedly more obese on average.

i also thnk a lot of studies don't even involve getting the BMI, the people just self report their obesity, and they many just be overweight. i think most of the obesity studies have a small sample size, and the surveys are done with people who have landline phones, and i think it is probable people who only have cell phones are more active and fit.

regarding poor people, i believe lack of motivation is more prevalant as well as alcohol and drug abuse which also increases the lack of motivation. if we could reduce drug abuse, it would solve so many other problems in this country.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
i've seen something about how using a standard BMI to determine obesity for all races is not legit which may be why blacks and hispanics are supposedly more obese on average.
If race were the determining factor than you would see high obesity rates in Africa.

As another poster put it, culture is the ethnic component here.

Quote:
also thnk a lot of studies don't even involve getting the BMI, the people just self report their obesity, and they many just be overweight.

regarding poor people, i believe lack of motivation is more prevalant as well as alcohol and drug abuse which also increases the lack of motivation. if we could reduce drug abuse, it would solve so many other problems in this country.
A pack of Ramen noodles is only about 25 cents. Trust me. Poverty is a factor.

People who abuse drugs tend to be underweight not overweight. And wealthier people can easily lead sedentary lifestyles and suffer from a lack of motivation. I don't know where you're getting any of this from.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:24 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,171,255 times
Quote:
given it is only hot about 12 weeks a year in the south, and the winters are mild, the weather here on average is more conducive to getting outside compared to colder and snowier places like denver. i don't know where people get the premise it is always hot here. it is a 4 season climate. i play tennis year round and golf year round.
Depends on which place in the south you live in. Coastal plain/low elevation/lower south sees its hot weather from late May-late September. That's 17 weeks. Florida sees it even longer.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:25 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,171,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
The Southern states of the US have always had the distinction of being among the most obese in the country. A lot of the blame is said to go towards the hot, humid weather the Southern US sees.

However obesity levels run high in the Rust Belt, higher than in many Southern US states. Meanwhile, Florida, with its long periods of hot, humid weather, has lower levels than the much cooler PNW states of Washington and Oregon. As a result, it is clear that climate is not the full story, with culture, demographics, and education also playing a huge role into determining the areas of the country that are fit and healthy.

With that said, though, do you all think that the climate of the South plays a significant role into why obesity levels run high in the region? Or is weather not all problem at all, with the cause relating solely to an unfortunate combination of demographics/culture/education levels?

Mississippi is the fattest state for 10th straight year, Colorado still leanest, Arkansas getting fatter, D.C. slimmer
Lol, cold epoch Anthony. How many alt accounts do you have now?!

Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
A lot of it is race. Blacks, especially black females, have the highest rate of obesity. Mississippi the state with the highest % of blacks always ranks #1 for obesity.

Also,poor states in general have more obesity. The South has the poorest states. The conventional wisdom is poor people can't afford healthy food. I call BS. Look at the hundreds of dollars worth of junk food poor people pay with their food stamps card. It's a cultural thing where poor people are generally less concerned about looking good and staying healthy than their more affluent counterparts. I read an article that claims the only thing that will stop the obesity crisis is fat shaming.

Science Proves It: Fat-Shaming Works - Breitbart

Old 07-10-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
If race were the determining factor than you would see high obesity rates in Africa.

As another poster put it, culture is the ethnic component here.

A pack of Ramen noodles is only about 25 cents. Trust me. Poverty is a factor.

People who abuse drugs tend to be underweight not overweight. And wealthier people can easily lead sedentary lifestyles and suffer from a lack of motivation. I don't know where you're getting any of this from.
u make weird inferences.

i've said lack of motivation is a main reason for obesity across all income levels but it may be more prevalent among poor people and a contributing factor to their poverty.

water is cheaper than soda and diet soft drinks are same price as coke. the poor also smoke more and abuse alcohol and drugs more. it would obvously save them money not to do these things.

cooking at home saves money especially if a person has a family. cooking at home is generally healthier than eating out.

and obesity has increased as government spending on the poor has increased.

i only brought up race to explain why south has more obese people compared to other areas, as a percentage of population. many studies say black people are more obese than whites. but i also linked to a study that shows black people actually become more obese as income increases.

if there are studies with the opposite conclusions, obviously some of the studies are flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or