U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,557,483 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place in the United States for a new English teacher interested in the arts and furthering her education to move? I'm a member of generation Y, and I'm approaching age 30. I've kind of squandered my emerging adulthood stage on going to school and looking for a job. I want to have some fun now and build experiences and wealth, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,141,891 times
What can you afford re; housing? That's an important question.
How do you want to "build wealth"? By being an English teacher? I'm certainly not implying that there's anything wrong at all with that profession but i imagine it's not the fastest way to wealth although i'm not sure what you mean by wealth.
What region of the country are you living in now and what region of the country attracts you and what other criteria can you provide to narrow things down a bit?

Old 07-10-2016, 04:15 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,557,483 times
I said that I'm interested in the arts: theater and music. I'm attracted to big cities where there is a lot going on. I want to choose one that would be welcoming to an ESL and regular English teacher, though, one that is likely to pay teachers well and offer good retirement and benefits.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:10 AM

21,210 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I said that I'm interested in the arts: theater and music. I'm attracted to big cities where there is a lot going on. I want to choose one that would be welcoming to an ESL and regular English teacher, though, one that is likely to pay teachers well and offer good retirement and benefits.
If looking for big city cultural amenities in a city/state that values public education and offers a more moderate cost of living you might consider the Baltimore/Annapolis area, which also has close proximity to Washington DC's treasure trove of cultural activities. Maryland is one of the highest ranking states for public education and teacher salaries.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,194,224 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Education is very much supported in Minnestoa, and teachers are well paid. In the Cities there is a need for ESL teachers. And the arts scene in the Twin Cities is very strong and well supported.

Anyone who isn't a weather wimp really loves the Mpls/St. Paul area.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 PM

721 posts, read 301,661 times
Quote:
Where is the best place in the United States for a new English teacher interested in the arts and furthering her education to move? I'm a member of generation Y, and I'm approaching age 30. I've kind of squandered my emerging adulthood stage on going to school and looking for a job. I want to have some fun now and build experiences and wealth, if possible.
Abroad.

International teachers get good money and housing allowances. You will get the cultural experience of living in a city like Tokyo or Shanghai while you save money.

A friend of mine gets $12,000 USD per month plus housing provided free on a compound teaching English in Doha, Qatar.

In Singapore, high school teachers at IB international schools also make 6 figure salaries.

I spent several years teaching in Phnom Penh, getting paid in US dollars, and it was a great experience.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 AM

9,483 posts, read 5,279,638 times
Quote:
Philadelphia. We have an entire university, for example, devoted to the arts/theater/dance: University of the Arts(aka UArts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or