U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 4,115 times

Advertisements

I think I might need to mention something else about our situation, even though I have met a couple of older interracial couples that involved Indian men with white women, there aren't too many young ones I've met. The racism we've received, oddly enough, has been from people in their 20s and 30s as opposed to the elderly. While interracial older couples involving Indian men and white women do exist, it is not too common in the city to meet younger interracial couples that fit the bill. I did meet an Indian college kid who was dating this tanned brunette that could easily pass for a latina but she was white, no one gave them any troubles at all. The couple told me that people didn't really think they were interracial at all.

Instead of her being white, I think my fiance being more northern European looking is what is ticking some people off. Unlike in Seattle, she has been stalked and followed by sleazy guys a lot here in Atlanta, especially in the Buckhead area.

Not too familiar with southern culture but a couple of guys I've known (one black guy in particular) have told me that my girlfriend has the kind of look that a lot of good ol southern guys go crazy for (blonde, fit, and blue eyes) so I can expect to get a lot of hostility for that, I have. I have also received some hostility from southern women, one who looked to be in her 20s even told me right to my face "boy, you are lucky to have her because I can promise you that you would never be able to get a girl like that here in Georgia". She said in a very loud and unhappy tone, like she seemed angry about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Do you have any other desires besides affordability and a non-hostile environment?
Fun things to do, good restaurants, decent nightlife, and a somewhat exciting area.

We've always wanted to go to Florida but there is not much of a demand for tech jobs there.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Please don't tell me this is back again. lol

Anyway, I've actually seen a few Indian guys with white wives or dating white females in Upstate NY. Some are college students, but I've seen a couple of older adult couples as well. This thread may help: How is the state of New York like for a couple like my two friends? (young interracial couple)
My cousin is a white woman married to an Indian man living in upstate New York.

But is it just me or is the OP suspicious? This question has been asked a million times by seemingly the same person.

Upstate NY is actually a good recommendatiom though, it's affordable and close enough to NYC in some spots that you can go on a day trip if you want things beyond the local amenities.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM

56,502 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
My cousin is a white woman married to an Indian man living in upstate New York.

But is it just me or is the OP suspicious? This question has been asked a million times by seemingly the same person.

Upstate NY is actually a good recommendatiom though, it's affordable and close enough to NYC in some spots that you can go on a day trip if you want things beyond the local amenities.
My thoughts exactly and it has.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My thoughts exactly and it has.
Yeah lol, just look in the similar threads

It's always about an Indian guy and a white woman

Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 AM

I do see that the question has been asked before but isn't it a bit unfair to say that I am making all of this up or that I am some person who does this for fun? Honestly, I would love to be left alone with my fiance so we can both enjoy a peaceful time together instead of dealing with the drama, because we have a lot of other issues to do deal with as well.

Couldn't it be very likely that in some areas of the country, people just aren't comfortable with seeing a blonde with an Indian guy? I mean that is not an irrational question for me to ask and I find it offensive that someone would start calling me a liar and say I am doing all of this for fun.

It doesn't look like I will get anymore good suggestions from people on here for it, guess I offended some Atlanta residents who don't want the less desirable parts of the city's culture to show. Either ways, I will just have to look for an answer elsewhere. To those that did try to help, thank you, your time did not go to waste. I just find it unfortunate that a select few feel the need to call me some sort of a liar with too much time on his hands.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Just come to NYC and be done with it.

Live in Queens --arguably the most ethnically diverse county in the nation -- where you can ditch the expense of a car, spend the added monthly expenses on rent, and minimize the hostility and weird comments about being an interracial couple in more affordable neighborhoods like Astoria, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, among others. Someone will give you a look, I'm sure. With 2.3 million people there will inevitably be some a**holes. But it seems there will be a lot less than where you are now.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:28 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,195,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasloves View Post
We are both originally from the Pacific Northwest, Washington state to be exact, and we recently had to move down to Georgia (Atlanta to be exact) due to my job and because it is a lot more affordable than Washington. I am a Punjabi guy but completely westernized and my fiance's background is Danish. I have the black hair, brown eyes, and light brown skin while she has the blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. We are both in our late 20s but we often got told that we look "younger". Both of us met back in college, hooked up, and it became serious for us after that.

Back in Washington, no one really cared, it was somewhat common to see Indian and Asian guys dating white girls. Definitely not the case in Atlanta, as we learned the hard way.

Well, Georgia has been a lot more affordable but a bit different for us. We have gone to stores and out to eat to where people practically stare at us, some of the stares are definitely met with anger. At times when we go to eat out together, I look around and there are tables just staring at us, it is that blank stare of disapproval. Some of the people have made comments like "brown boy with blonde woman, don't see that too often" and laughed afterwards.

I remember one time when we were eating, this guy (looked to be in his 20s and white) came over and stood next to my fiance, kept on hitting on her like I was not there. We ignored him but then he commented saying "guess some women do hate the American flag, hope that Muslim is worth it *****". We just stared and reacted in shock but then what came next shocked us even more, some guy clapped and gave him a thumbs up and said "Make America Great Again!". We ignored them and ate our meal but that meal was ruined due to what we went through.

At first we didn't want to admit it but then it became more and more obvious. I was talking to my fiance a week or so ago and some of the things she has told me about what other people have said about me behind my back have been, well, not too welcoming.

My fiance tells me about how some of the "southern" girls she became friends with through church who later became aware of me have pushed her into going for a "southern gentleman" who she would look good next to. She tells me about how she constantly gets grilled about dating a "Muslim" (I am not a Muslim btw) and whether she is aware of how they treat women, some of these girls are in their 20s btw. A lot of jokes about how she gets to have "711 for free" and she has told me how some of the people she has met, younger ones surprisingly, have made a lot of off hand racist comments to her about going with me.

She stopped hanging out with them and going to church but her cellphone did keep getting hit hard with texts, she blocked the #s.

I get it too, just a lot of questions and other things from guys who are our neighbors talking about "what I like about white girls so much" and "what's wrong with Indian girls?".

Being from Washington, I was not used to this sort of stuff but after being in Georgia for a little over a year, it has been eye opening.

People don't make too big of a deal out of white guys here dating interracial or black guys dating white girls but Indian guy with a blonde is definitely not okay by Atlanta standards from what I observe.

The one thing to love about the state is that unlike Washington, it is very affordable here.

Are there any other affordable areas of the USA where things are a lot less hostile? We both live in an apartment so we can definitely afford to move.
THis Sounds eerily similar to your situation: Is California the only place in the USA that is accepting towards interracial couples like us? and so does this: City Data: Can you please suggest some good locations to a young interracial couple?.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 15,342 times
Nashville, TN and to an extent Charleston, SC are both good options. The reason I say that is because I have met young interracial couples in both cities that fit the bill (Indian guy with a hot blonde) and no one gave them any hate for it. In fact, a couple of the ones I met in Charleston are dating because a local South Carolina guys hooked the two up.

I went to school in Nashville (you can guess by the name) and a couple of my fraternity brothers were of Indian descent. One of them used to almost exclusively date blonde girls and no one gave him any hate for it. I remember a couple of us actually pushing him to go for this one blonde he found to be hot. A doctor I knew in the city was also married to a beautiful blonde southern belle, her family and his family loved each other.

Atlanta has a pretty bad history with racism and as a rule of thumb, I would generally avoid Georgia and Alabama because the hate there is pretty bad compared to other southern states. When we visited Athens for a football game during my undergrad years, one of my brothers got a lot of racial slurs thrown at him and his girlfriend at a bar as well as a few guys mocking him. I am familiar with the Atlanta area and it does have a very country club type of feel to it once you get outside of the few trendy areas of the city.

Buckhead is pretty much post grad Greek Life 2.0.

Go to Nashville, I promise you won't regret it. Charleston might not have the tech jobs you need so you might be screwed there but Nashville is very affordable (can live on 30k/yr salary here) and pleasant, miss it tbh.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:13 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,195,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formely_A_Commodore View Post
Nashville, TN and to an extent Charleston, SC are both good options. The reason I say that is because I have met young interracial couples in both cities that fit the bill (Indian guy with a hot blonde) and no one gave them any hate for it. In fact, a couple of the ones I met in Charleston are dating because a local South Carolina guys hooked the two up.

I went to school in Nashville (you can guess by the name) and a couple of my fraternity brothers were of Indian descent. One of them used to almost exclusively date blonde girls and no one gave him any hate for it. I remember a couple of us actually pushing him to go for this one blonde he found to be hot. A doctor I knew in the city was also married to a beautiful blonde southern belle, her family and his family loved each other.

Atlanta has a pretty bad history with racism and as a rule of thumb, I would generally avoid Georgia and Alabama because the hate there is pretty bad compared to other southern states. When we visited Athens for a football game during my undergrad years, one of my brothers got a lot of racial slurs thrown at him and his girlfriend at a bar as well as a few guys mocking him. I am familiar with the Atlanta area and it does have a very country club type of feel to it once you get outside of the few trendy areas of the city.

Buckhead is pretty much post grad Greek Life 2.0.

Go to Nashville, I promise you won't regret it. Charleston might not have the tech jobs you need so you might be screwed there but Nashville is very affordable (can live on 30k/yr salary here) and pleasant, miss it tbh.
This is your first post and you had the audacity to state that Atlanta has a country club feel to it but then go on to recommend Charleston, SC. LOL! Georgia and Alabama are racist but not South Carolina or Tennessee (States that border GA)?

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 07-11-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or