U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:18 PM

994 posts, read 599,801 times

Advertisements

I would think any major northern city would be a better fit for you guys. I know that NYC is unaffordable, but what about Philadelphia or Chicago? People in both of those cities tend to be friendlier and less intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 15,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
This is your first post and you had the audacity to state that Atlanta has a country club feel to it but then go on to recommend Charleston, SC. LOL! Georgia and Alabama are racist but not South Carolina or Tennessee (States that border GA)?
It is hard to explain why but I have definitely noticed a lot less hostility towards interracial couples in Tennessee (Nashville at least) and South Carolina than Georgia. I was shocked at the amount of white women with guys of various minority groups I met in South Carolina, not that I had a problem with it but it was almost somewhat common. I do not think OP would have any problems at all in Charleston.

Charleston has that old southern town feel to it culturally but the people there are very down to earth. Some of the most solid and friendliest southerners I've met in my entire life were from the state of South Carolina.

As for Georgia, I have only had experiences with people from Atlanta and Athens, there was definitely something up. The people were very disrespectful, condescending, and yes, racist. Of all the southerners, people of Georgia (especially from the Atlanta area) have that rugged, brash, disrespectful, and two-faced persona to them. I think that any brown guy looking to date white girls or current dating a reasonably good looking Anglo woman would be very wise to avoid Atlanta.

Just staying in Atlanta, I could tell that something was up, people there had the separate but equal mentality towards "foreigners" (anyone not white or black). I am thinking people in the city are shocked that a beautiful blonde would date someone they see as foreign, even though he may be born here, because they never met such couples growing up.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:42 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,360,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I would think any major northern city would be a better fit for you guys. I know that NYC is unaffordable, but what about Philadelphia or Chicago? People in both of those cities tend to be friendlier and less intense.
Manhattan is generally what's unaffordable for most newcomers. The rest of New York City generally is not, especially outside of trendy areas of Brooklyn. Yes, it is more expensive than Atlanta or Chicago or Philly, but not THAT much more expensive if you live in Queens or South Brooklyn or Staten Island or the nicer parts of the Bronx.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:10 PM

325 posts, read 252,204 times
I'm not sure whether you mentioned this earlier, but where do you live and/or mostly hang out in Metro Atlanta. This could make a pretty big difference if you happened to move into a rednecky, outlying suburb. Maybe you just need to move within the Metro for a better experience, and I don't even think you would need to move into the city. My parents live in Marietta, and it has become a pretty diverse community with people from all over the world. I can't imagine you would run into much of this type of bigotry there, much less in one of the inner city neighborhoods of Atlanta proper.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,611,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Manhattan is generally what's unaffordable for most newcomers. The rest of New York City generally is not, especially outside of trendy areas of Brooklyn. Yes, it is more expensive than Atlanta or Chicago or Philly, but not THAT much more expensive if you live in Queens or South Brooklyn or Staten Island or the nicer parts of the Bronx.
The outer borough neighborhoods of NYC are still way more expensive, the least expensive NYC neighborhoods are still way more expensive than the least expensive Philly neighborhoods.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:53 AM

994 posts, read 599,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The outer borough neighborhoods of NYC are still way more expensive, the least expensive NYC neighborhoods are still way more expensive than the least expensive Philly neighborhoods.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Manhattan is off the charts, while the other areas mentioned are "expensive".

I haven't been to Atlanta in a long time, but when I have been there, I could feel the racial tension thrumming through the city. I did not like Atlanta at all, even though there are nice areas of the place.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,281,601 times
I can understand the Ops experience. Atlanta has grown quite cosmopoliton in the last few decades but inside the perimeter vs. outside the perimeter are night and day sans a few burbs on the north side. Unfortunately outside the perimeter you still run into alot of the "stereotypical" south. I had so many friends experience uncomfortable situations. What about Baltimore or Philly, they are more affordable then NYC/DC but very close with decent jobs?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 PM

I know I am going to get a lot of heat for this politically incorrect comment but it is true.

The major reason that OP is facing so much animosity in Atlanta is because the truth is, Atlanta isn't exactly the best city in the south if you like white girls, especially of the blonde variety. The white population in Atlanta is not that large, the racist history is still there, and Atlanta is known more for having attractive black women as opposed to attractive white women.

Even though there are attractive blondes in the city, they tend to run in very tight knit cliques, usually former Greek Life from college or country club types. I've also noticed that Georgia guys are practically obsessed with blonde women and pounce whenever one is single. I have talked to blonde women from other states and countries who stayed in Atlanta and felt very vulnerable, said that men there were a lot sleazier and came on much more strong than men in other cities. Almost all of these women had stalkers who were somewhat aggressive, as they claim.

I know one woman from the upper midwest who was relatively average looking in her area full of European heritage groups where blonde hair is common (German and Scandinavian). When she moved down to Atlanta, guys were fighting to be with her so she simply picked the wealthier and higher quality guys in the city who were desperate to be with her.

So along comes OP who is engaged to this blonde beauty and the guys in Atlanta cannot rationalize it. How is it that some foreigner, who they have seen themselves above their whole lives, is getting the exact type of woman they daydream about?

Now in other cities like Nashville for example, the hot blonde types are in abundance so the thirst and frustration isn't really there. I noticed that in Nashville, there were so many of these kinds of women that guys could care less if one was dating an Asian, black, or brown guy. In Atlanta, the women with that kind of look are a lot less common so the competition is more stiff (pun not intended), hence the hostility OP is facing.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 4,132 times
Thank you guys, I am greatly appreciative of all the advice on this thread.

The thing is we actually love the south's lower cost of living and even some parts of its culture but Atlanta has clearly not been too hospitable to us. Nashville might actually be a good choice, we've thought about it. Being young, it is affordable and it does have a southern charm to it. One of my girlfriend's friends was a younger girl from Tennessee who kinda comforted her and told her not to let some of the more rude women of the city get to her for being in an interracial relationship.

I don't think of myself as ugly, we never had any problems in Washington at all, but it seems like whenever we go out in Atlanta we just stared at or some random strangers ask us questions about being an interracial couple. We never had to face any of these issues in Washington at all, I surely hope Nashville is better than Atlanta when it comes to this.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 PM

Your issue is relatively easy to explain.

Atlanta does not have that many hot blondes in it compared to other big cities, the white population in the city is pretty low. Your girlfriend is likely an attractive blonde and in Atlanta, those women almost exclusively go for country club types, former frat bros, and mostly white "southern" men. The guys see you guys being the couple that buck the trend, get frustrated that an Indian they see themselves as being better than is somehow with the same kind of woman that they themselves are obsessed with.

Most of the people cannot rationalize it so they are putting themselves through hell for it.

In Nashville, that would not be an issue at all but in Atlanta, it is for that very reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or