Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I grew up in NW Pennsylvania. We had the woods and I remember how happy I was as a kid spending times running around there.

Hiking was great. I'd take the dogs for a walk and loved being outdoors. When I go home to visit I do the same.

But I couldn't handle the winters (cold from November through April) with little sunlight and so I moved to California.

But I do miss the woods.

I was wondering what US cities are warm (or warmish) year around that have plenty of woods.

Heck, I don't mind winter temperatures in the 40s or 50s. I simply love the woods and the sunshine and for the past few years I've been thinking about researching a place that has mild winters, plenty of woods, and a place where I can buy some land, rescue a few dogs and enjoy nature.

I thank you all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:48 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Just move north. Anywhere past Chico will probably do. From there to the Canadian border (and beyond) is mostly wooded, and average winter temperatures are in your preferred range.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Just move north. Anywhere past Chico will probably do. From there to the Canadian border (and beyond) is mostly wooded, and average winter temperatures are in your preferred range.
Awesome. I had one person recommend Portland. I need to do some traveling to check some places out. Thank you for responding. I appreciate it.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I have an uncle who lives about 30 minutes of north of Vancouver, Washington, and he loves it there. Heavily wooded, fairly mild temperatures. I've never actually been there, but I have seen a lot of pictures he has posted on facebook, and I would love to visit there. He owns a ranch and races horses, which I guess is popular there.

If memory serves me right, I think it's a rural area near Battleground. You can use google street view and look around that area some. Very pretty area.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I have an uncle who lives about 30 minutes of north of Vancouver, Washington, and he loves it there. Heavily wooded, fairly mild temperatures. I've never actually been there, but I have seen a lot of pictures he has posted on facebook, and I would love to visit there. He owns a ranch and races horses, which I guess is popular there.

If memory serves me right, I think it's a rural area near Battleground. You can use google street view and look around that area some. Very pretty area.
That sounds like an awesome place. I will definitely Google Street View the area. Thank you!

Old 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
I was in Orlando in December and it is very woody.

I love lush scenery myself and loved all the Pine Trees in Florida, especially Orlando.

I also know that alot of the land on the outskirts of metropolitan areas in North and Central Florida is rather affordable and there many properties that are acreages.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:16 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Check out Asheville, NC. Its sunny and in the 50s in the winter. In New Mexico; Silver City and Ruidoso could also work. Very sunny winters. Another option would be Arkansas unless you cant stand hot summers.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-11-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 02:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
The northern CA coast, or southern OR coast. Mild year round, lots of woods, no snow. But, there are a lot of overcast days and rain. Year round temps basically 60's during the day and 50's at night.

Not much in the way of jobs up here, though.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM

379 posts, read 289,102 times
Anywhere in the coastal Southeast US (stretching from the Texas Gulf Coast east to Florida, then as far north as North Carolina), or the lower Pacific Northwest (Northern California and Southern Oregon).

Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Uh, the OP described practically every city in the Southeast north of central Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.