U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 PM

908 posts, read 912,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like I mentioned in another thread, Ithaca and Geneva in NYS would work. Perhaps Canandaigua, Auburn, Skaneateles, Fredonia/Dunkirk, Brockport, Plattsburgh, Cazenovia and Brewerton, among others in NY come to mind.
Fredonia/Dunkirk is a cesspool. Fredonia is a backwoods party town and Dunkirk is a crime-ridden wasteland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:20 PM

Sounds like you're looking for a place that doesn't completely exist. hahaha.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 PM

556 posts, read 698,629 times
Clearlake, CA. It's not quite within spitting distance of San Francisco, but close enough - there are a number of modest sized communities surrounding the lake, the seasonal change is modest, the summers hot, the winters cool(ish). The mountains occasionally get snow, but the valley stays clear, and there's even a little potentially-active volcano in Mt. Konocti!

And yes, I violated the zone, because as others have pointed out, what the OP is looking for doesn't exist in that area. Sometimes you have to broaden your horizons to get what you really want.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 PM

56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Fredonia/Dunkirk is a cesspool. Fredonia is a backwoods party town and Dunkirk is a crime-ridden wasteland.
Fredonia is a small college town with solid/good schools and Dunkirk, while more gritty, does have a beach and has had a big job announcement recently. A part of that thought by some in terms of Dunkirk may also be partially due to being quite diverse for a smaller city.

Also, posters have offered several potential communities that may work for the OP.

A community in MI that comes to mind is St. Joseph(yes, that St. Joseph) in the SW corner of the state. It is only an hour and a half or so from Chicago as well.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 AM

4,251 posts, read 2,522,601 times
Ann Arbor, MI
Kent, OH

Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,049,067 times
Quote:
Like I mentioned in another thread, Ithaca and Geneva in NYS would work. Perhaps Canandaigua, Auburn, Skaneateles, Fredonia/Dunkirk, Brockport, Plattsburgh, Cazenovia and Brewerton, among others in NY come to mind.
Yea, I have done some research on a few of these from seeing them mentioned previously. Plattsburgh is interesting, but seems a little far removed, with the exception of Burlington nearby. I know a guy who went to college in Fredonia, so I will ask him about that area. The areas on the Finger Lakes are on our list, and we plan to check out as many of them as possible. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Would Claytor lake be close enough to Blacksburg VA? Blacksburg is at 2000' so a little bit cooler than the Shenandoah valley but humidity could still be a dealbreaker.
We are looking at Virginia, so I can definitely check the area out. Being close to mountains would be great, and it would keep my wife close to her family. (Mt. Airy, NC, and Winston-Salem, NC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Perhaps Clarksville, VA would work - it's on a sizable lake, between Richmond and Raleigh/Durham NC.
I worry a little bit about just how conservative that area may be (We are agnostic/atheist, liberals...), but other than that it looks pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Sounds like you're looking for a place that doesn't completely exist. hahaha.
It doesn't have to have ALL of the things mentioned. Close would be good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Clearlake, CA. It's not quite within spitting distance of San Francisco, but close enough - there are a number of modest sized communities surrounding the lake, the seasonal change is modest, the summers hot, the winters cool(ish). The mountains occasionally get snow, but the valley stays clear, and there's even a little potentially-active volcano in Mt. Konocti!

And yes, I violated the zone, because as others have pointed out, what the OP is looking for doesn't exist in that area. Sometimes you have to broaden your horizons to get what you really want.
I understand there may not be anything that fits perfectly, but the same goes for areas outside of where we are looking. As beautiful as the lake areas of CA are, CA is a no go for us. Not to mention, we do not want to move out west, hence the states I mentioned. A little outside of those areas is okay, but going a few thousand miles west is not.

So again, the town doesn't have to be PERFECT. It doesn't have to meet or exceed every single thing I mentioned. If you want to mention somewhere slightly out of the area I mentioned, great. If you want to mention somewhere on the West Coast or in the Rockies or plains, you are free to do so, but that is not where we are looking or want to move.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM

56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yea, I have done some research on a few of these from seeing them mentioned previously. Plattsburgh is interesting, but seems a little far removed, with the exception of Burlington nearby. I know a guy who went to college in Fredonia, so I will ask him about that area. The areas on the Finger Lakes are on our list, and we plan to check out as many of them as possible. Thanks!
Plattsburgh is only about an hour south of Montreal. So, it does have a major city within a short distance away. Just have the enhanced Drivers license or Passport available. Is Plattsburgh Montreal's U.S. suburb? | NCPR News

Plattsburgh International: "Montreal's U.S. airport" | CTV Montreal News

This picture of Plattsburgh also kind of illustrates what the original post mentioned:
http://gotravelaz.com/wp-content/upl...urgh_23332.jpg

It is on Lake Champlain and the mountains in the background are the Adirondacks.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Plattsburgh is only about an hour south of Montreal. So, it does have a major city within a short distance away. Just have the enhanced Drivers license or Passport available. Is Plattsburgh Montreal's U.S. suburb? | NCPR News

Plattsburgh International: "Montreal's U.S. airport" | CTV Montreal News

Yea, I always forget about Canada! Even still, though, it is somewhat isolated. Montreal is close, Burlington is close, but other than that, you are at least 2 1/2-3 hours to the next nearest city of note. I am not sure we are ready to be THAT isolated. Even still, it seems like a cool city, so I am not going to discount it just yet.

Quote:
This picture of Plattsburgh also kind of illustrates what the original post mentioned:
http://gotravelaz.com/wp-content/upl...urgh_23332.jpg

It is on Lake Champlain and the mountains in the background are the Adirondacks.
You got that right! No doubt, it is a beautiful area!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Fredonia is a small college town with solid/good schools and Dunkirk, while more gritty, does have a beach and has had a big job announcement recently. A part of that thought by some in terms of Dunkirk may also be partially due to being quite diverse for a smaller city.
I'm from Chautauqua County. The biggest festival in Fredonia is "Fredfest". It was banned as an official festival because people were destructive and disorderly. They still have it, no less. The only other festival is the Chau. County Fair. Neither of those things, nor the school itself, have any liberal leans nor culture.

Fredonia has one decent performing arts venue besides the school and a few decent restaurants.

Dunkirk is easily one of the most terrible places in the state to live. 10000 people and stabbings and violent crimes monthly. Only someone who has actually been to Dunkirk or resided there knows how bad it is. The schools are some of the worst in the state. There is almost literally nothing there. People go there either to get drugs or sell drugs. This may be an exaggeration to someone who doesn't know better.

But I digress; OP gets my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or