U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:36 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,047,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I know that you want to stay in the northeastern part of the country but just wanted to put it out there...

There are several lake towns in WA. One I think you might be interested in is Bellingham, it is a decent sized town with a population of 85,146 and is sandwiched in between Bellingham Bay(Salish Sea) and Lake Whatcom.

Bellingham: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellingham,_Washington
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...4d-122.4781609
Lake Whatcom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Whatcom

There is also Chelan on Lake Chelan which is much smaller at a population of 4,060 but still very beautiful.
Chelan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelan,_Washington
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...4d-120.0191116
Lake Chelan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chelan

Also the Salish Sea is basically a very large salt water lake since the waters are for the most part very calm and often times is as flat as glass and there are a lot of little towns as well as large cities such as Seattle on it's shore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea

Also on the east coast have you considered the towns on the Chesapeake Bay as a viable candidates such as Annapolis, the capital of Maryland?

Annapolis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapolis,_Maryland
https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...!4d-76.4921808
Chesapeake Bay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay

Washington is a beautiful place, and also where my mom was born, but it just isn't what we are looking for. I have no doubt that the Bellingham area is great, but we really want to stay east.

We haven't researched much about the towns along the Chesapeake Bay, actually. To be honest, we were a little worried about how conservative the area would be with all of the military presence nearby. I know Virginia Beach is usually ranked one of the most conservative large cities in the country, and military areas are usually pretty conservative overall.

We haven't ruled them out though, so city recommendations along the Bay are certainly worth checking out. VA would be good to keep my wife close to her family, so I will strongly consider it even if it isn't perfect. You know, "Happy wife, happy life" and all that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another possibility in Michigan that could work is East Lansing. It has just under 50,000 people, Lake Lansing is a short drive from the city and Detroit is a little over an hour away. You also have Michigan State sports as well. It is walkable and has an active Downtown/business district(Grand River Ave.). Schools are very good and it is a generally safe city.
Another one I will look into. I greatly respect all that MSU has done athletically, so it would be nice to be near that. I know very little about the area though, so it will definitely go on my list to check out.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:09 AM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
In terms of music, is there a certain kind that the spouse is looking for? I was wondering because a previously mentioned NY community(Canandaigua) has a venue like this: Welcome to CMAC Events | CMAC Events

So, you have that with this: Canandaigua, New York *

Downtown Canandaigua -

Home - Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce, NY

Canandaigua Wine Trail, Finger Lakes

Canandaigua City School District

It is only about 30 minutes from Rochester and an hour or so from Buffalo and Syracuse.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of music, is there a certain kind that the spouse is looking for? I was wondering because a previously mentioned NY community(Canandaigua) has a venue like this: Welcome to CMAC Events | CMAC Events

So, you have that with this: Canandaigua, New York *

Downtown Canandaigua -

Home - Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce, NY

Canandaigua Wine Trail, Finger Lakes

Canandaigua City School District

It is only about 30 minutes from Rochester and an hour or so from Buffalo and Syracuse.
She has actually done some opera stuff in the past, and she really enjoys that. She also like to go to classical shows. We also both enjoy blues and jazz as well.

I guarantee you that the Canandaigua Wine Trail would peak her interest as well! I also see that it includes breweries as well, so that peaks MY interest!

It also seems to have quite a few festivals and artsy stuff nearby, so it could definitely be a contender.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
She has actually done some opera stuff in the past, and she really enjoys that. She also like to go to classical shows. We also both enjoy blues and jazz as well.

I guarantee you that the Canandaigua Wine Trail would peak her interest as well! I also see that it includes breweries as well, so that peaks MY interest!

It also seems to have quite a few festivals and artsy stuff nearby, so it could definitely be a contender.
She could get her fix in terms of music here: Eastman School of Music

This thread may help: Albany vs Syracuse vs Buffalo

Old 07-13-2016, 12:17 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,669,405 times
Charlottesville, VA - 2 hours from DC, 1 hour from Richmond, beautiful scenery, educated population

A few other ideas:
Winchester, VA - cute town about 1-1/2 hours from DC in non-rush hour, may be more conservative, not sure of crime and schools
Roanoke, VA - may be more conservative than you like, but is close to Smith Mountain Lake and is a pretty town.

In PA:
Somewhat commutable to Philadelphia but on the outer edge are:
New Hope, PA - Has Bucks County Play House
Doylestown, PA. Both towns are in Bucks County, PA which has beautiful countryside. Good schools, 1 hour from Phila., low crime, lots to do. Each are towns in and of themselves, not just suburbs of a larger city.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Charlottesville, VA - 2 hours from DC, 1 hour from Richmond, beautiful scenery, educated population

A few other ideas:
Winchester, VA - cute town about 1-1/2 hours from DC in non-rush hour, may be more conservative, not sure of crime and schools
Roanoke, VA - may be more conservative than you like, but is close to Smith Mountain Lake and is a pretty town.

In PA:
Somewhat commutable to Philadelphia but on the outer edge are:
New Hope, PA - Has Bucks County Play House
Doylestown, PA. Both towns are in Bucks County, PA which has beautiful countryside. Good schools, 1 hour from Phila., low crime, lots to do. Each are towns in and of themselves, not just suburbs of a larger city.
Charlottesville is on our list to check out actually. We have been through there before, but never actually spent any time. It looks like a nice area, has a great college, and is a pretty good location as well.

I have been told by a friend of mine to check out the area from about Leesburg, over to Winchester, so having someone else mention it.... I think I will do some research.

I have looked into the Roanoke area previously, and can't quite get a good read on it. Looks like a cool town with some cool little areas around it, but there are a lot of people who say to stay away from it. We will probably take a look at it, as well as the Blacksburg area, when we are near there..

I have done absolutely zero research on the 2 PA cities, but Philly is a city that intrigues us. If we could find a town close by that would work for us, that would be great. I will add these 2 to my list to research.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:35 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Charlottesville is on our list to check out actually. We have been through there before, but never actually spent any time. It looks like a nice area, has a great college, and is a pretty good location as well.

I have been told by a friend of mine to check out the area from about Leesburg, over to Winchester, so having someone else mention it.... I think I will do some research.

I have looked into the Roanoke area previously, and can't quite get a good read on it. Looks like a cool town with some cool little areas around it, but there are a lot of people who say to stay away from it. We will probably take a look at it, as well as the Blacksburg area, when we are near there..

I have done absolutely zero research on the 2 PA cities, but Philly is a city that intrigues us. If we could find a town close by that would work for us, that would be great. I will add these 2 to my list to research.

Thanks!
To add further to those options you might consider Harrisonburg VA (home of James Madison University), Radford VA (home of Radford University and a bit of hidden gem) or Staunton VA (home of Mary Baldwin College) when scoping out Charlottesville and Blacksburg. For Philly area options check out West Chester PA (home of West Chester University) and the Main Line area NW of Philly stretching from Overbrook to Wayne (home of Villanova University, Haverford College, St Joseph's University and Bryn Mawr College).

Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To add further to those options you might consider Harrisonburg VA (home of James Madison University), Radford VA (home of Radford University and a bit of hidden gem) or Staunton VA (home of Mary Baldwin College) when scoping out Charlottesville and Blacksburg. For Philly area options check out West Chester PA (home of West Chester University) and the Main Line area NW of Philly stretching from Overbrook to Wayne (home of Villanova University, Haverford College, St Joseph's University and Bryn Mawr College).
I will definitely check them out! As many as possible anyways! My aunt's husband actually went to Radford, but I have never asked him about the area, so that is something to explore. Wayne I am actually somewhat familiar with, as a previous employer of mine had a branch there, and I spent a few days there doing some training. Didn't get to scout out the area though, as they kept me busy pretty much all day, and always took us out to eat at night. This was about 8-9 years ago though.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 PM

This may work as well: Aurora...America's Best Kept Secret?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or