U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,017,670 times

Advertisements

I live on Maui, and I can tell you there's always jobs for young, healthy, strong people who are responsible and can pass a drug test. There is a shortage in the labor force here on Maui of people who can pass random drug tests.
There's construction jobs, service industry jobs, retail sales jobs, airport jobs.....always looking for clean workers

Many farming jobs offer free housing and food for farm workers. ( google WWOOOFERS) (and they don't drug test).

Even though political incorrect, being "attractive" would be a bonus in the Hospitality industry for resort/restaurant/beach jobs. Banquet servers/Pool Servers/Waiters at the resorts do very, very well here.

Also, there is a branch of University of Hawaii on Maui. After a year of residency, you can be eligible for Hawaii resident tuition. The college offers Culinary, Hospitality, Nursing , Business, Oceanography degrees among-st others. The Financial Aid office can step you thru Grants and Loans to fund your education and help with living costs.

For young people who have higher aspirations than smoking, drinking, and watching the sunset everyday, Maui has a lot of opportunity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:07 AM

721 posts, read 299,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
We have a lot of former Hawaiians here in Seattle - the overwhelming theme I get from them is that they felt trapped when living on the islands. It's a paradise, yes, but you tend to forget just how small a footprint it is.

I cannot in good conscience recommend Florida, either. Between the humidity, the uninspired scenery and the eternally depressed housing market, it's just not that great a place.

California is great, provided you can afford it - much of the state represents some of the most expensive real estate in the world, though, so you do need to keep that in mind.
You cannot in good conscience recommend a state that fits his criteria based on one of his criteria? OP wants tropical weather, and tropical weather is humid. That was not a well thought out answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
OP this is how I would break it down:

If you want a tropical climate, want something more isolated and akin to what tropical island life is like, and want a blend of mountains and ocean, then go with Hawaii.

If you want a tropical climate, and participate in a lot of water sports, and like to have a lot of cities and medium to large sized populations and the amenities that come with it close at hand then go with Florida.

If you just want a warmer climate, and are okay that it ISN'T tropical, and value outdoor activities more in the sense of mountains/hiking with some, not a lot, of water sports (sorry but the water in California is COLD), then go with California.
^^This is a good answer.

I have lived in all three states, so maybe I can offer some insight.

By California, I'm assuming that you mean Southern California by the coast, because the rest of the state is either gloomy, desert, or colder mountain climate(s). Southern California, by the coast, is a Mediterranean style climate because it is sunny and mild, but it is dry, so don't move there expecting balmy Caribbean style weather. The small strip of CA from Santa Barbara to San Diego has amazing natural beauty though. California is also very expensive to live in, so unless you have rich parents or a job lined up, moving there on a whim might be a challenge. Unless I were able to live fairly close to the beach, I would personally not want to live in that area though. It is very crowded and polluted, and traffic is horrible.

Hawaii is made up of different islands, so you have to think of it as moving to a certain island rather than the state of Hawaii. You are moving to the island that you have chosen. When I lived on Maui, I had to fly to visit any of the other islands, so I was basically a tourist there renting a car and staying in a hotel like all of the mainlanders. Some of the islands are small, so there might be limited job opportunities. Oahu has almost a million people, but that comes with city problems. So, if you choose Hawaii, you really should visit each island first and make an informed decision about which island is the best fit for you because moving to a different island isn't much easier than moving from the mainland. In terms of outdoor activities, the Hawaiian islands have the most to offer, and Hawaii has the best climate of any of the 50 states.

Florida, where I live now, is probably the middle ground between California and Hawaii in some sense. You will be connected to the rest of the country, and there are lots of universities and large companies, but it also has wonderful beaches(when the government isn't draining toxic sludge into the ocean, thanks for that Rick Scott). South Florida is basically a tropical climate, but the rest of the state is subtropical, so again, visit Florida and choose an area. Parts of northern Florida or certain inland areas might as well be the deep south in terms of culture too. Florida has more opportunities for water based recreation than California, so it is more similar to Hawaii in that regard. Florida is also by far the least expensive of the three in terms of cost of living. Like California, I would not want to live in Florida if I were not near the beach.

To me, Hawaii, Florida, and California are the best three states in the USA, but you really should visit each and get to know the place before moving.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
By California, I'm assuming that you mean Southern California by the coast, because the rest of the state is either gloomy, desert, or colder mountain climate(s).
Actually most of the state away from the coast has a typical Mediterranean climate, mild winter and hot, dry summers. Places like the inland Bay Area or Sacramento are certainly not deserts.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:57 AM

721 posts, read 299,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually most of the state away from the coast has a typical Mediterranean climate, mild winter and hot, dry summers. Places like the inland Bay Area or Sacramento are certainly not deserts.
I wouldn't say that Sacramento and LA have the same climate.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:00 PM

379 posts, read 204,534 times
Quote:
They do. The climate zone they are in is the same (Med Climate). While Sacramento is more extreme of a climate than LA is (hotter summers, colder winters), these slight differences don't change the general climactic patterns, which are shared by both cities.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:42 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
They have variations of the same climate classification, Mediterranean. Even parts of inland LA are more similar to Sacramento than they are to LA's coastal cities only 20-40 miles away temperature wise.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:06 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,908,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
I am 20 years old and I am currently deciding what I want to do with my life. I currently attend a community college but I have stopped taking classes recently because I need to determine a direction to go in before I accumulate more student loan debt. The things I do know however are that I love the gym and I love warm tropical sunny weather and I must have a nice ocean. I went onto google images and I saw that Hawaii looks absolutely amazing I want to live in Maui so badly. However I have also heard nice things about Florida and even California. I understand Hawaii is very expensive but I would honestly hate to let something like that get in the way of what I truly want in life. Out of Florida, California and Hawaii what do you think is the best and why?
I've seen this same post on 3 different forums, so I'll respond on this one.

I know what it's like to be restless at age 20. However, first you need to choose a career that suits you. Even if you love a location, you'll soon learn to hate it if you can't find a good job. Also, if you enjoy traveling, pick a field that is in demand in multiple locations. I don't know if you've ever thought about working in the medical field, but I know several people who have secure, well-paying jobs and can pretty much find work anywhere.

Just make sure you don't major is something that pays bupkis and has few job openings. Been there/done that. I remember when I was in high school and the "smart" kids laughed at the students who went to a vocational school. Some of those so-called "dummies" started their own businesses and made 6 figure incomes while the "smart" guys with degrees in Ancient Civilizations and The Classics were working temp jobs for Manpower.

You also might want to do some research on the jobs that are in demand and their average salaries. Magazines like Forbes often post lists, although I wouldn't count on them for 100% accuracy. Talk to a career counselor to see what type of job suits you best. I realize you'd like to live in places like Hawaii or Calif, but chances are at 40 you won't be living the same lifestyle (maybe you'll get married, have kids) so you need to be prepared. I remember when the Trans-Alaska pipeline began after I graduated college and people were lining up for jobs. I thought "Ugh! Alaska?" Well, in a few years, those people had saved so much that they were able to move to a warm, sunny place, buy a home and settle down. Just some food for thought. Hope I don't sound as if I'm lecturing, but I was young once and, if I could go back in time, I'd be telling myself the same thing. Unfortunately, my time machine is busted.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:46 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,139,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
Interesting I don't think I would mind being on an island alone. I am introverted. Getting away from all the bull crap is something I would enjoy. I really want to move to Hawaii before I die but I hear it's so expensive??? any advise regarding the price? and how i can manage to find a job on the island? I hear even with higher education credentials it is still hard to find a job there because of all the locals and stuff.
Don't assume that you're going to escape the "bull crap". Depending on where you are in Hawaii, there's plenty of it. Hawaii is not immune from the dominant culture. It deals with all of the problems that we on the mainland do.
And yes, both Hawaii and coastal California are (generally speaking) very expensive places to live.
If you really want to live in Hawaii you could go over to their forum and get more information.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I have been to all three, Florida and Hawaii for mostly vacation and California for vacation and work, based on my experiences, for a younger person trying to experience something new and unique, most likely a once in a life time oportunity to move somewhere completely new and different. I would choose Hawaii. Hell at 34 I am ready to sell my house and all my belongings to move to Maui. But i know it wont be permanent so its not a wise move. At your age, knowing it wont be permanent but a great experience I would definitly recommend Hawaii.

I would not recommend Florida to anyone ever. Hot, Humid, Crime, Flat doesnt offer much besides beaches and strip malls.

California would be a unique experience as well, depending on where you are coming from. There is a lot to see and do and its slightly cheaper then Hawaii as well as easier to relocate down the road.
Your assessment of FL is totally untrue. I live in NC, but we spend about a month a year in Central FL. Hot and humid? Yep. I'll give you that. it's a tropical climate. Crime? Yep. A bit higher than the national average. BUT, the crime category, no matter where you live, can be subjective. If you stay out of areas you shouldn't be, be aware of your surroundings, and use common sense, you'll be fine, generally. The "doesn't offer much" thing is hilarious. The major areas in FL offer museums, the arts, nature, major sports, major theme parks/water parks, zoos, aquarium, etc., etc., etc., and, yes, beaches. And there are no more strip malls in general in FL than most any other area. You either flat out don't know what you're talking about or you have an ax to grind with FL to start with. I mean wow, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or