Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:55 AM

47 posts, read 71,322 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old and I am currently deciding what I want to do with my life. I currently attend a community college but I have stopped taking classes recently because I need to determine a direction to go in before I accumulate more student loan debt. The things I do know however are that I love the gym and I love warm tropical sunny weather and I must have a nice ocean. I went onto google images and I saw that Hawaii looks absolutely amazing I want to live in Maui so badly. However I have also heard nice things about Florida and even California. I understand Hawaii is very expensive but I would honestly hate to let something like that get in the way of what I truly want in life. Out of Florida, California and Hawaii what do you think is the best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 AM

719 posts, read 981,564 times
We have a lot of former Hawaiians here in Seattle - the overwhelming theme I get from them is that they felt trapped when living on the islands. It's a paradise, yes, but you tend to forget just how small a footprint it is.

I cannot in good conscience recommend Florida, either. Between the humidity, the uninspired scenery and the eternally depressed housing market, it's just not that great a place.

California is great, provided you can afford it - much of the state represents some of the most expensive real estate in the world, though, so you do need to keep that in mind.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 AM

47 posts, read 71,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
We have a lot of former Hawaiians here in Seattle - the overwhelming theme I get from them is that they felt trapped when living on the islands. It's a paradise, yes, but you tend to forget just how small a footprint it is.

I cannot in good conscience recommend Florida, either. Between the humidity, the uninspired scenery and the eternally depressed housing market, it's just not that great a place.

California is great, provided you can afford it - much of the state represents some of the most expensive real estate in the world, though, so you do need to keep that in mind.
Interesting I don't think I would mind being on an island alone. I am introverted. Getting away from all the bull crap is something I would enjoy. I really want to move to Hawaii before I die but I hear it's so expensive??? any advise regarding the price? and how i can manage to find a job on the island? I hear even with higher education credentials it is still hard to find a job there because of all the locals and stuff.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:32 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,803,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
Interesting I don't think I would mind being on an island alone. I am introverted. Getting away from all the bull crap is something I would enjoy. I really want to move to Hawaii before I die but I hear it's so expensive??? any advise regarding the price? and how i can manage to find a job on the island? I hear even with higher education credentials it is still hard to find a job there because of all the locals and stuff.
I don't think it has anything to do with being introverted. You are living on a small island(s) in the middle of nowhere, literally. I had friends who lived there and got Island fever all the time. They loved it but felt trapped too. But out of the three I think Hawaii would be the most unique experience. I loved it and would live there if it wasn't so isolated and far away.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:37 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,803,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post

So a little unfair to knock floridas humidity. The OP likes tropical weather. Most tropical places tend to be pretty damn humid, that's part of the tropical climate, Puerto Rico, Cuba, coastal Colombia, Coastal Ecuador, Brazil, Jamaica etc are all just as hot and humid as Florida, sometimes even more. So if he wants tropical weather I don't see why humidity would be such a knock for Florida, it's part of having a tropical climate.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,087 times
FL would be the middle line; provides a lower latitude feel than CA(closer to that of HI), but has a lower COL than both CA, HI. The housing situation has stabilized, plus OP is 20 yrs old and is probably not looking to settle down as of now. Moot point. Irrelevant to mention the housing issue. At least houses are not overpriced as in the other places mentioned here.

HI, FL are ideal for those into scuba diving, surfing, fishing and other water-sport activities. Obviously CA, FL have more amenities/space than HI.

Also, same crapola about uninspired scenery. Just completed a trip to the lower Keys and Flamingo in the Everglades/10 thousand islands; anything but uninspired.

Advantage of HI: it's closer to the Indo_Pacific/Asian region for travelling.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,481,143 times
I have been to all three, Florida and Hawaii for mostly vacation and California for vacation and work, based on my experiences, for a younger person trying to experience something new and unique, most likely a once in a life time oportunity to move somewhere completely new and different. I would choose Hawaii. Hell at 34 I am ready to sell my house and all my belongings to move to Maui. But i know it wont be permanent so its not a wise move. At your age, knowing it wont be permanent but a great experience I would definitly recommend Hawaii.

I would not recommend Florida to anyone ever. Hot, Humid, Crime, Flat doesnt offer much besides beaches and strip malls.

California would be a unique experience as well, depending on where you are coming from. There is a lot to see and do and its slightly cheaper then Hawaii as well as easier to relocate down the road.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:54 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,481,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
From the research I did, Yes its very hard to find employment, especially good paying employment. It is also very very expensive to rent an apartment (forget about buying a house) I was finding 2 bedroom apartments for the same rent that I pay for a 350k dollar house in NH. With that said if i could have found a decent job it still would have been worth moving there! Maui jobs are slim, you may have better luck lookin in Oahu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
So a little unfair to knock floridas humidity. The OP likes tropical weather. Most tropical places tend to be pretty damn humid, that's part of the tropical climate, Puerto Rico, Cuba, coastal Colombia, Coastal Ecuador, Brazil, Jamaica etc are all just as hot and humid as Florida, sometimes even more. So if he wants tropical weather I don't see why humidity would be such a knock for Florida, it's part of having a tropical climate.
Its not unfair because out of the three locations to choose from only ONE of them is Humid, Florida, Hawaii and California are not.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post

I would not recommend Florida to anyone ever. Hot, Humid, Crime, Flat doesnt offer much besides beaches and strip malls.
This is misinformation. You probably did not explore the state. There's 7 thousand lakes, the Keys, many state parks/intracoastal waterways, underwater heaven as HI, unique ecosystem (Everglades), 10 thousand Isl region, Big Bend area, large metro areas, sure besides the beaches there's nothing.. Also crime is everywhere in the US and women love shopping..

One thing about HI/Honolulu, it's meth central(per Drugs Inc on NatGeo)..though drugs are an epidemic everywhere.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 AM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
Florida or Hawaii, CA isn't tropical. If you really want Hawaii try the Big Island, it's probably the most affordable of them all. Doesn't have a lot of beaches though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.