U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 04:25 PM

28,254 posts, read 26,226,229 times

Advertisements

This oppressive July Las Vegas heat clearly kept all of these people in their hotel rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9rViTLhoI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 04:26 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,139,021 times
I'd take a 110 degree day in August in Texas before a 10 below zero day in North Dakota any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Heres why:

It's so much easier to keep cool in the summer than it is to stay warm in the winter. When I'm ready to leave the house, I like to be able to just get up and go rather than spend 30 minutes to dress for the elements, in layers, put on snow boots, and a ski mask and gloves, and winter coat/parka, just to cross the street and get the mail out of the mailbox or to go anywhere else outdoors for that matter.

I also like the idea of the town shutting down during a snow fall or ice storm rather than business as usual. I like the snowfall to be a once every 2 or 3 years event rather than a daily routiene. I like the holiday/vacation atmosphere a rare snow event brings.

I don't want to shovel snow for 30 minutes in order to get out of the driveway just to go to work. I'd just soon choose to stay home and chill out and enjoy the day off.

Yeah, I'm glad this country has the North so people who like cold weather can live there. But, me, I just soon stay in the sunny South and drink my sweet tea and sweeter lemonade and sit around the pool and chill out.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-12-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 04:28 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,126,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Vegas gets cold during the winter and the pools close down. You actually see far fewer pedestrians there during the colder months than you do during the warmer months.

http://www.newmarketadvisors.com/ass...trianStudy.pdf

But even during the hottest months, you still have the nights. I feel like cold weather boosters always ignore this point. A high of 28 degrees in Chicago yields a low of 11 degrees. There is no relief from the cold whereas the hottest days often lead to fairly comfortable evenings.
Oh I know. I was in Vegas in January before this trip, and it was cool. You had to wear a light sweater at some points and the pools I think were even closed. On this trip it seemed like there were more people walking on the strip, but I wouldnt say it was that significantly different. I guess the point is, even with such hot weather, it doesn't stop people from doing things. If the strip was at 30F you would not see as many people out.

Cold weather boosters do ignore that morning and evenings. I was in Florida at the end of May, the Miami area, and at 8am I went jogging outside perfectly fine. My dad and I hung out in his balcony at night every night as well. Did I sweat a little bit at night? Yeah, I did, but not where I was horribly uncomfortable. This is also coming from someone who gets hot easily!

My walk from the train to my apartment is 20 minutes and when it's hot I sweat like a mofo but that's because I have to wear long sleeved button ups, dress shoes, socks and pants due to work. In shorts, t-shirt I fare way better and don't mind the heat at all.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Oh I know. I was in Vegas in January before this trip, and it was cool. You had to wear a light sweater at some points and the pools I think were even closed. On this trip it seemed like there were more people walking on the strip, but I wouldnt say it was that significantly different. I guess the point is, even with such hot weather, it doesn't stop people from doing things. If the strip was at 30F you would not see as many people out.

Cold weather boosters do ignore that morning and evenings. I was in Florida at the end of May, the Miami area, and at 8am I went jogging outside perfectly fine. My dad and I hung out in his balcony at night every night as well. Did I sweat a little bit at night? Yeah, I did, but not where I was horribly uncomfortable. This is also coming from someone who gets hot easily!

My walk from the train to my apartment is 20 minutes and when it's hot I sweat like a mofo but that's because I have to wear long sleeved button ups, dress shoes, socks and pants due to work. In shorts, t-shirt I fare way better and don't mind the heat at all.
I could really see hating the heat if I were a day laborer toiling out in the sun for 10 hours a day. Then again, I'm not sure if that would be preferable to being a day laborer toiling outside when it's 10 degrees. I suppose there's more construction during the summer months than the winter months for a reason.

I live for summer nights. Everything is alive! You definitely don't see this in the middle of February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE-t0IcVzBo

Old 07-12-2016, 04:52 PM

792 posts, read 437,775 times
Quote:
But even during the hottest months, you still have the nights. I feel like cold weather boosters always ignore this point. A high of 28 degrees in Chicago yields a low of 11 degrees. There is no relief from the cold whereas the hottest days often lead to fairly comfortable evenings.
I wish it worked that way here in Phoenix! Wouldn't mind the summer heat waves so much if it actually cooled off at night......but when it's still 100+ degrees at, say, 9 pm, that to me, is not good.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I wish it worked that way here in Phoenix! Wouldn't mind the summer heat waves so much if it actually cooled off at night......but when it's still 100+ degrees at, say, 9 pm, that to me, is not good.
Phoenix drops down to the 80s most nights. And while that's still warm, it's dry warmth unlike the sticky warmth here in the East.

Phoenix July Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85004

I'd gladly take that over this.

New York Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for NY 10007

A high of 19 and a low of 2. Where is the relief to be had with a high of 19 and a low of 2? Who is going to be outside during any time of the day with a high of 19 and a low of 2?

Old 07-12-2016, 04:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 17,767,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I have yet to slip and fall on a hot sidewalk. Cannot say the same for an icy one
The 2 winters prior to my moving to Florida I had to hire a front end loader/backhoe to clear the snow from our driveway -- it was simply too deep to shovel.
Several times the power lines iced and then fell due to the extra weight. The power was out 5 days on one occasion and 3 days on another.
Yes, it is hot here in the summer but that is why we have swimming pools to cool off in if the power goes out here (a rare occurrence)
I am with you!

Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
I live in Arizona and I don't find hot weather desirable. My favorite places in the state are Sedona and Flagstaff, much colder.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM

And I don't know why people in places like Arizona keep saying "But you people on the East Coast don't know what heat is." Have you ever spent a summer in DC? That place gets hot as hell.

Quote:
Dew points, the temperatures below which water droplets begin to condense and excellent indicators of humidity, were in the arid 30s in Death Valley when the mercury shot up to that 129-degree milestone. Using the National Weather Service’s nifty calculator, that temperature and dew point combination produced a heat index of only around 116 or 117 degrees. In short, the very low humidity (and low dew points) in Death Valley made the air feel cooler than the actual temperature.

Of course, the situation is reverse in Washington, D.C. during heat waves. The humidity makes the air feel hotter. Let’s turn back the clock two years to July 22, 2011, the height of D.C.’s “sweat ceiling” heat wave. On that day, Washington, D.C. had a temperature/dew point combination of 102/78, leading to a heat index of 121. Yes, that’s several degrees hotter than Death Valley Sunday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lleys-hottest/

I'd still take a DC scorcher over the average February day there. There are way more people out and about than there are during winter.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM

9,425 posts, read 5,242,800 times
Quote:
57% of Americans prefer hot weather. 29% prefer cold weather and 12% have no preference.

There is virtually no difference between men and women when it comes to a preference of hot or cold weather.

Hot weather is most popular among the 30-49 age group.

Hot weather is significantly more preferable to Blacks than Whites (69% vs 52%).

People in the West prefer colder climates more than the people in any other region.

Most Like It Hot | Pew Research Center
I'm in another minority! Lol I'm black and I detest hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or