U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 06:31 PM

9,422 posts, read 5,238,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Having spent time all over the US at various points during the year, it's always floored me why it seems the majority of Americans have this love for southern/hot cities.

For example, I lived in AZ for 2 years. The summer was completely miserable. Kids get out of school and can't wait for the freedom to play, etc, and then they are trapped inside away from the dangerous heat and sun most of the time. We found ourselves looking for indoor options to keep them busy (after being sick of swimming in the pool 10 days in a row).

I've been to NOLA, Key West, South Carolina in the summer and it was unbearably hot.

But for some reason, people want to flock to scorching Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. to live. Houston, in the summer, is a living hell.

I get wanting to avoid freezing winters, but most years they aren't any more difficult to deal with than being super hot for 4-5 months a year. There are some amazing cities dismissed by many due to the fact they get snow/cold. I kind of SMH thinking about it.

Do people forget how nasty the summers can be in their quest for never being cold?
As you've seen warm weather lovers ended up dominating the discussion. Lol There is proof that they are in the majority so so be it.

Of course along the way there was the obligatory "we respect your (cold/cooler weather)preferences" stuff which I don't believe for a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
After reading the link below, I can't understand how low income residents in cold areas survive financially.

Bitter cold temperatures push some Americans toward poverty line | PBS NewsHour

Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 PM

379 posts, read 204,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sure if I lived on the New Jersey or Delaware coast I'd experience sea breezes, as people do in those areas, but I live about 60 miles inland from the Atlantic.
Even 60 miles inland is close enough for sea breezes.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
Other than retirees, are people really flocking to the sunbelt for weather or for lower COL and jobs? I question your premise a bit. I think most people are looking for moderate weather -- not too hot, not too cold -- basically a cheaper version of California. But the demographic shift to the South is happening for a host of reasons and I don't think weather would be top three.
Warm weather may not be the main reason so many people are moving to the South, but the warm weather climate is an additional enticement to a newcomer trying to decide on a job between Austin and say a place like Pittsburgh or Buffalo. The warm weather climate could be a deciding factor, especially after a particularly brutal winter up North.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 PM

594 posts, read 486,205 times
Default YOU trapped your kids indoors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Having spent time all over the US at various points during the year, it's always floored me why it seems the majority of Americans have this love for southern/hot cities.

For example, I lived in AZ for 2 years. The summer was completely miserable. Kids get out of school and can't wait for the freedom to play, etc, and then they are trapped inside away from the dangerous heat and sun most of the time. We found ourselves looking for indoor options to keep them busy (after being sick of swimming in the pool 10 days in a row).

I've been to NOLA, Key West, South Carolina in the summer and it was unbearably hot.

But for some reason, people want to flock to scorching Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. to live. Houston, in the summer, is a living hell.

I get wanting to avoid freezing winters, but most years they aren't any more difficult to deal with than being super hot for 4-5 months a year. There are some amazing cities dismissed by many due to the fact they get snow/cold. I kind of SMH thinking about it.

Do people forget how nasty the summers can be in their quest for never being cold?
Kids play outside 365 days a year in Arizona. Basketball leagues, soccer leagues, baseball leagues all summer.
People would not move to a place to be shut up 4 months ayear.
Let's rest the same old tired myth of people being shut in like a Nothern winter. People know by now once the sun goes down Arizona becomes very tolerable.
With over 100,000 people moving to Phoenix metro a year, that particular myth is dying off quickly.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:17 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Kids play outside 365 days a year in Arizona. Basketball leagues, soccer leagues, baseball leagues all summer.
People would not move to a place to be shut up 4 months ayear.
Let's rest the same old tired myth of people being shut in like a Nothern winter. People know by now once the sun goes down Arizona becomes very tolerable.
With over 100,000 people moving to Phoenix metro a year, that particular myth is dying off quickly.
While being outside and doing physical activities in the Summer in Phoenix isn't ideal it's not completely unberable. Back in high school I had track practice 5 days a week at 1 PM during summer in Phoenix and didn't die lol. Also, yeah in hot climates people are not shut up inside 24/7 like they are in cold climates. The lakes and resort pools are full of people in Phoenix during summer, just like the beaches and lakes in Florida and Texas are full of people. That's the beauty of living in a warm climate, you can be outside, in your bathing suit, in the water with cool refreshments to escape the heat. On a side note, I love when people say bold statements like "Arizona is so hot during summer". Parts of Northern Arizona have nicer summers than most of the country.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:03 PM

556 posts, read 697,388 times
Phoenix is a pit - a super-heated abyss of human settlement. Why you would ever choose southern AZ over southern CA - when you could pick between either LA or San Diego - is completely beyond me. Phoenix beats LA (but not San Diego) in housing prices, but forfeits any advantage when the sprawl catches up with your suburb and suddenly you're living in a slum.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And I don't know why people in places like Arizona keep saying "But you people on the East Coast don't know what heat is." Have you ever spent a summer in DC? That place gets hot as hell.
DC can be so ridiculously humid. I remember when I lived there one winter day when it was around 45 degrees. I was walking around outside with a light jacket, but it was so humid that I was sweating my butt off with the jacket on, and had to remove it.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,589,851 times
High of 71° today, 69° yesterday, and yet sunny almost all day. San Diego is back to its delightfully, delicious cool summers. I couldn't live in a hot place now, even L.A. is almost always 10-20° warmer than here.

I love to visit the east coast in the summer, but I am almost always miserable for a good portion of the day and evening. I wouldn't even dream of going into the South during this time of year, that would be unbearable. And I hate air conditioning so that doesn't really help.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 PM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
I will admit, the other day I went out to check the mail at 9 AM, I repeat, 9 AM, and as soon as I opened the door, it felt like an enormous amount of heat just punched me right in the face. I had on shorts and a t-shirt and still felt the need to strip lol...

Still would rather prefer the Heat, than the Cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or