Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Inland Texas can get pretty hot during summer, but nights are cooler. Coastal Texas has more cloud cover, sea breeze, and summer thunderstorms to provide periodic relief.
Cooler? Technically, sure. Comfortable? Not a chance. This time of year in Dallas sucks. 95-100 during the day, 76 with 70-80% humidity at daybreak. Windows open? Nope. House is sealed up like a crypt and AC is on 24/7 'til mid-September. I don't miss that garbage at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:12 PM

594 posts, read 698,557 times
Default living in a slum.....in Arizona ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Phoenix is a pit - a super-heated abyss of human settlement. Why you would ever choose southern AZ over southern CA - when you could pick between either LA or San Diego - is completely beyond me. Phoenix beats LA (but not San Diego) in housing prices, but forfeits any advantage when the sprawl catches up with your suburb and suddenly you're living in a slum.
Another old myth that over 100,000 people a year is debunking.
'Only people who can't afford California move to Phoenix...'
Why is it so hard for certain people to comprehend that Arizona is just that desirable ?
Numbers don't lie.
You say retirees but Phoenix has one of the youngest populace in the nation.
You say it must be the COL but there are numerous cities with lower COL.
What is it ????
Let's just hope the over 100, 000 a year keep it to themselves.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
Quote:
Phoenix is a pit - a super-heated abyss of human settlement. Why you would ever choose southern AZ over southern CA - when you could pick between either LA or San Diego - is completely beyond me. Phoenix beats LA (but not San Diego) in housing prices, but forfeits any advantage when the sprawl catches up with your suburb and suddenly you're living in a slum.
LMAO *yawns* as someone who splits his time between LA and Phoenix I find your statements to be absolutely absurd. I hope your classless belittlement of an entire city made you feel good about yourself
You also have no idea what you are talking about because San Diego real estate is some of the most expensive in the country.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:01 AM

719 posts, read 987,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
LMAO *yawns* as someone who splits his time between LA and Phoenix I find your statements to be absolutely absurd. I hope your classless belittlement of an entire city made you feel good about yourself
It's remarkable to me that you believe that, if I am capable and willing (and, frankly, eager) to belittle a city as loathsome and horrid as Phoenix, that I would care a whit about your opinion.

And, actually, I'm going to back-peddle slightly: it's important to have a place like Phoenix to store all the people willing to live there. It's an excellent way to filter vapid idiots out of the rest of society.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:17 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
Quote:
It's remarkable to me that you believe that, if I am capable and willing (and, frankly, eager) to belittle a city as loathsome and horrid as Phoenix, that I would care a whit about your opinion.

And, actually, I'm going to back-peddle slightly: it's important to have a place like Phoenix to store all the people willing to live there. It's an excellent way to filter vapid idiots out of the rest of society.
you seem like so much fun.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:00 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like anything from 35 degrees to 75 degrees. Cold weather I can deal with except for those 5-6 coldest days in Chicago when it's single digits and then I'm annoyed, and then anything over about 85 degrees I absolutely can't deal with outside for any length of time.

I do much much better just layering than I do with heat.
Same here. It got well below 30 here in DC last winter and if I was ready for it, it was no biggie as well. Taking off clothes won't help you beat the heat.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Cooler? Technically, sure. Comfortable? Not a chance. This time of year in Dallas sucks. 95-100 during the day, 76 with 70-80% humidity at daybreak. Windows open? Nope. House is sealed up like a crypt and AC is on 24/7 'til mid-September. I don't miss that garbage at all.
Pedestrian and cycling activity falls way off in Dallas in January and February. Pedestrian and cycling counts peak in mid June, dip slightly in July, rise slightly in August, drop slightly in September and October, and then fall off a cliff in November.

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/sustdev/...eport_2015.pdf

Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Minneapolis has significantly higher pedestrian and cycling volume in the summer than during the winter.

Quote:
Non-motorized traffic at the six locations varies by season at all locations, with higher average daily traffic in summer (Figure 6.2; Table 6.3). For example, average daily mixed mode traffic at the highest volume site (Lake Calhoun) ranged from 373 in January to more than 7,800 in July. While monthly average daily traffic (MADT) varies significantly across locations, the ratios of MADT to AADT generally are consistent across locations throughout the year (Figure 3), indicating that the effects of weather are consistent and independent of location characteristics. For mixed mode traffic in peak summer months, the MADT/AADT ratio exceeds two at five of the locations; in winter months (e.g., December), the MADT/AADT ratio drops to between 0.2 and 0.4 at all locations.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TS/2013/201324.pdf

People really do love that cold.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
Other than retirees, are people really flocking to the sunbelt for weather or for lower COL and jobs? I question your premise a bit. I think most people are looking for moderate weather -- not too hot, not too cold -- basically a cheaper version of California. But the demographic shift to the South is happening for a host of reasons and I don't think weather would be top three.
Fair point - I would love more moderate weather than what we have here in Chicago. Ideal for me would be Petaluma, CA, or maybe southern Oregon.

And I want to be clear, I prefer 100 degrees over 10 degrees too.

The grass is greener concept is irritating when people aren't informed. My major beef is with people thinking weather is phenomenal in a hot city, when really, it's got miserable weather days also. Being oppressively hot for weeks on end, to me, is more painful than dealing with a week-long frigid snap here. Once that snap is over, and it's back in the 30s/40s, you actually feel pretty good, enough to take a nice walk.

But that's not to say that the 10 degree days aren't the most brutal thing. There is nothing worse than extreme cold. These temps just typically don't last that long in most US locations, even in the north. Whereas it could be 105+ in Phoenix (or even Dallas) for 60 straight days.

Obviously, we've had a handful of AWFUL winters - the polar vortex winter of 2013-2014 was something I barely survived. But last winter wasn't bad at all, more tolerable to me than an Arizona summer.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Kids play outside 365 days a year in Arizona. Basketball leagues, soccer leagues, baseball leagues all summer.
People would not move to a place to be shut up 4 months ayear.
Let's rest the same old tired myth of people being shut in like a Nothern winter. People know by now once the sun goes down Arizona becomes very tolerable.
With over 100,000 people moving to Phoenix metro a year, that particular myth is dying off quickly.
Well, we had our own swimming pool and our kids played baseball. After the first 2 weeks of swimming half the day it got old. Baseball season ended a couple of weeks after school did. For good reason.

Yep, the nights were better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.