U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,636,514 times
Reputation: 1067

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Hot weather is the best to swim in.
They can't figure this out.. only around the Gulf coast states the water gets warm enough to swim without a wetsuit (prolonged swimming, not get in and get out). On the Atlantic side, it's from NC and down (and mainly in the summer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,286 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
They can't figure this out.. only around the Gulf coast states the water gets warm enough to swim without a wetsuit (prolonged swimming, not get in and get out). On the Atlantic side, it's from NC and down (and mainly in the summer).
But what about if you...

Hate water
Hate exposing your skin
Hate seeing the opposite sex expose skin
Hate pedestrian vibrancy
Hate outdoor concert festivals
Hate lemonade and cookouts
Hate outdoor seating at restaurants and cafes
Hate rooftop bars

If you hate all of those things, then there's no reason to like warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Baldwin County, AL
2,446 posts, read 1,051,399 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's nothing difficult about riding a bike with pants on. We're not even talking about "freezing" temperatures here. There are no frozen sidewalks in NYC during the month of May. Here are cycling counts from April and May in NYC on days with zero precipitation.

April 6, 2016 (45 degrees): 11,919
April 28, 2016 (58 degrees): 15,631
May 5, 2016 (57 degrees): 15,638
May 25, 2016 (87 degrees): 26,978

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...nt-apr2016.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...nt-may2016.pdf

This is an annual trend. Once the temperature breaks above 60, ridership explodes. Summer tends to have more ridership than any other season.
Point being.... What? That more people prefer weather over 60? This has already been established. Looking at your links, the days with low temps in the 30's had the least riders. The degrees you mention above are the HIGH temps. It is not 45 at 6am. Fact is, there are going to be far less people riding bikes in the morning and evenings on days with lows in the 30's or 40's. It may not be "difficult" to ride with pants on, but when you add the extra layers including a jacket, it is more difficult. It is also a problem because you start sweating underneath it all.


You seem to be arguing something that no one is arguing against. EVERYONE on here agrees that MORE people prefer weather over 60. Some don't.


Again, the question is, why do you care so much about what weather other people like or don't like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,456 posts, read 11,963,283 times
Reputation: 10567
Personally I bike to work from roughly mid April through late October. Biking outside on even cool mornings can be hard on your hands unless you have riding gloves due to the wind chill. I wouldn't say it ever gets too hot that I wouldn't bike, although in the summer I am 100% assured to have a soaking wet shirt by the time I get home in the evening. Sometimes even the morning, though it helps my commute in is mostly downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Baldwin County, AL
2,446 posts, read 1,051,399 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Hot weather is the best to swim in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
They can't figure this out.. only around the Gulf coast states the water gets warm enough to swim without a wetsuit (prolonged swimming, not get in and get out). On the Atlantic side, it's from NC and down (and mainly in the summer).
Everyone knows this. This is self explanatory. Fact is though, some of us don't want to go to the beach every single day or weekend, so it isn't that big of a deal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But what about if you...

Hate water
Hate exposing your skin
Hate seeing the opposite sex expose skin
Hate pedestrian vibrancy
Hate outdoor concert festivals
Hate lemonade and cookouts
Hate outdoor seating at restaurants and cafes
Hate rooftop bars

If you hate all of those things, then there's no reason to like warm weather.
Hate to tell you this, but there are other reasons one doesn't like hot weather. For myself, I have a small breathing issue that flares up when it is hot and humid. It isn't life threatening and doesn't keep me from doing what I want to do, but it would be better somewhere less hot and humid. Also, some people don't like to sweat every time they walk outside. Where I live, you can't check the mail or walk to your car without developing a sheen of sweat. It starts around late May and goes to about late October.


Also, as for your list, it is flat garbage. There are people everywhere that love water, even in the north *GASP*. Some of the most vibrant cities are cold weather cities. Most outdoor concerts are not held during the middle of summer. They are held in the fall and spring. There may be some during the height of summer, but most are not. Last I checked, the cold weather states have just as many fairs/festivals as the south as well. Cookouts happen everywhere, even cold places. There is outdoor seating and rooftop bars in the north as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,286 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Point being.... What? That more people prefer weather over 60? This has already been established. Looking at your links, the days with low temps in the 30's had the least riders. The degrees you mention above are the HIGH temps. It is not 45 at 6am. Fact is, there are going to be far less people riding bikes in the morning and evenings on days with lows in the 30's or 40's.
The low temperature on April 28th was 48 degrees. The low temperature on May 5th was 47 degrees. Those days had significantly less ridership than days where the low temperature was in the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
It may not be "difficult" to ride with pants on, but when you add the extra layers including a jacket, it is more difficult. It is also a problem because you start sweating underneath it all.
Who is wearing a heavy down coat with tons of layers on a day with a low temperature of 47-48 degrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,286 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Hate to tell you this, but there are other reasons one doesn't like hot weather.
There are also people who would prefer to vacation in Suggsville, Alabama over Lake Como *shrug*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Some of the most vibrant cities are cold weather cities.
Yet those cities aren't particularly vibrant when it's cold. Go back and look at those pedestrian counts I posted for Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Cookouts happen everywhere, even cold places. There is outdoor seating and rooftop bars in the north as well.
Of course, cookouts happen everywhere. They just don't happen when it's cold. Ain't no BBQs in Brooklyn in February, son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Baldwin County, AL
2,446 posts, read 1,051,399 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The low temperature on April 28th was 48 degrees. The low temperature on May 5th was 47 degrees. Those days had significantly less ridership than days where the low temperature was in the 70s.
Have you ever ridden a bike when it was 48 outside? I would venture a guess that you haven't, because if you had, you would know that without gloves it could be very uncomfortable for your hands. See the post from eschaton.

Who is wearing a heavy down coat with tons of layers on a day with a low temperature of 47-48 degrees? [/quote]

Who said anything about a "heavy down coat"? I said extra layers, including a jacket. That could be something as simple as a hoodie.


Again, why are you so invested in trying to "prove" that liking warm weather is somehow better? Everyone has preferences, you really need to get over it Yank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,286 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Have you ever ridden a bike when it was 48 outside? I would venture a guess that you haven't, because if you had, you would know that without gloves it could be very uncomfortable for your hands. See the post from eschaton.
Says the guy whose location says Alabama...

I could equally ask the question whether bike lanes even exist in Alabama since you want to get all smug here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,286 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Have you ever ridden a bike when it was 48 outside? I would venture a guess that you haven't, because if you had, you would know that without gloves it could be very uncomfortable for your hands. See the post from eschaton.
Says the guy whose location says Alabama...

I could equally ask the question whether bike lanes even exist in Alabama since you want to get all smug here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top