U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 10:11 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,050,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are also people who would prefer to vacation in Suggsville, Alabama over Lake Como *shrug*.
Again, why do you care?

Quote:
Yet those cities aren't particularly vibrant when it's cold. Go back and look at those pedestrian counts I posted for Minneapolis.
Have you ever been to Chicago in the winter? I was there for 2 weeks in January and 2 weeks in February in consecutive years, and there were people everywhere. They were out at parks, they were ice skating, they were going out to eat, going to bars, etc.... It was much more vibrant than I have EVER seen a city in the south be.

Quote:
Of course, cookouts happen everywhere. They just don't happen when it's cold. Ain't no BBQs in Brooklyn in February, son.
That's funny, because I have friends in Rochester, MN who have cookouts year round. They have a big fire going and the whole neighborhood shows up. (Can't speak for other Minnesotans) Have you ever been in the south in July or August? Ain't many cookouts going on down here during that time of year either, unless the person has a pool, or you consider a couple of guys cooking while everyone else is inside a "cookout".

You seem like you are unhappy with where you live. Why not move to the WONDERFUL south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Says the guy whose location says Alabama...

I could equally ask the question whether bike lanes even exist in Alabama since you want to get all smug here.
I haven't always lived here. I have always biked though. My last city, Memphis, has a ton of bike paths that I frequented, and yes, it frequently gets below 48.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:20 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Have you ever been to a major city like Chicago in the winter? I was there for 2 weeks in January and 2 weeks in February in consecutive years, and there were people everywhere. They were out at parks, they were ice skating, they were going out to eat, going to bars, etc.... It was much more vibrant than I have EVER seen a city in the south be.
The question is not whether it was more vibrant than some city in Alabama. NYC is more vibrant than any city in the South regardless of temperature (if we're measuring vibrancy strictly in terms of pedestrian volume). If the question is whether people prefer cold or hot weather, then the answer is clearly hot since pedestrian/cycling volume in NYC blows winter vibrancy out of the water.

Quote:
That's funny, because I have friends in Rochester, MN who have cookouts year round. They have a big fire going and the whole neighborhood shows up. (Can't speak for other Minnesotans) Have you ever been in the south in July or August? Ain't many cookouts going on down here during that time of year either, unless the person has a pool, or you consider a couple of guys cooking while everyone else is inside a "cookout".
Silly anecdotal evidence. I'm posting DOT pedestrian/cycling studies and you are bringing up your "friends in Rochester, MN"

It's a fact that pedestrian and cycling traffic can be 20-30 times higher in Minneapolis in the summer compared to the winter. This completely blows the "tons of people enjoy the cold weather" argument to smithereens.

Show me a city where pedestrian volumes are higher at 30 degrees than they are at 90 degrees. Then we can have a serious conversation.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Have you ever been in the south in July or August? Ain't many cookouts going on down here during that time of year either, unless the person has a pool, or you consider a couple of guys cooking while everyone else is inside a "cookout".
This is funny. You must not know very many Black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlcWt7JvgM

Old 07-13-2016, 10:28 AM

I wonder why Will Smith didn't make a song called "Wintertime."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The question is not whether it was more vibrant than some city in Alabama. NYC is more vibrant than any city in the South regardless of temperature (if we're measuring vibrancy strictly in terms of pedestrian volume). If the question is whether people prefer cold or hot weather, then the answer is clearly hot since pedestrian/cycling volume in NYC blows winter vibrancy out of the water.
You said in a previous post, which I replied to, "But what about if you...

Hate water
Hate exposing your skin
Hate seeing the opposite sex expose skin
Hate pedestrian vibrancy"

Cities in the south do not have "pedestrian vibrancy". Maybe Miami or some other FL cities, but that would be about it. So you were claiming the south has "pedestrian vibrancy", and now you are saying it doesn't? Makes no sense.

You need to stop with the ignorant "You're from Alabama" crap too. I have traveled all over this country, and know about a lot more than the state of AL. I have spent more time out of AL than I have in AL. Don't think that you somehow know more simply because you live in "Crooklyn".

Quote:
Silly anecdotal evidence. I'm posting DOT pedestrian/cycling studies and you are bringing up your "friends in Rochester, MN"

It's a fact that pedestrian and cycling traffic can be 20-30 times higher in Minneapolis in the summer compared to the winter. This completely blows the "tons of people enjoy the cold weather" argument to smithereens.

Show me a city where pedestrian volumes are higher at 30 degrees than they are at 90 degrees. Then we can have a serious conversation.
As I said in my post, can't speak for other people, simply showing that some people still do. Either way, your condescension aside, I don't get why you seem to care so much? Personally, I don't give a rat's behind whether you like hot or cold weather. You seem to be obsessed with trying to prove you are "right" for preferring warm weather. The whole thing is just stupid.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
This is funny. You must not know very many Black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlcWt7JvgM
I lived in Memphis for 14 years.... I know plenty of people of all races. You must not know the south very well, which let's be honest, we all know you don't based off of your posts.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Cities in the south do not have "pedestrian vibrancy". Maybe Miami or some other FL cities, but that would be about it. So you were claiming the south has "pedestrian vibrancy", and now you are saying it doesn't? Makes no sense.
Cities in the South don't have pedestrian vibrancy because they are largely auto-centric disasters. It has nothing do with the weather.

I said NYC has more pedestrian volume than any Southern city regardless of the time of year. But the question is not whether NYC is more vibrant than El Paso. The question is whether pedestrian volume is any indication of a preference for hot or cold weather. NYC has noticeably lower pedestrian volumes and vibrancy in the winter outside of Times Square.

Quote:
You need to stop with the ignorant "You're from Alabama" crap too. I have traveled all over this country, and know about a lot more than the state of AL. I have spent more time out of AL than I have in AL. Don't think that you somehow know more simply because you live in "Crooklyn".
I only brought that up because of your "you must have never ridden a bike in the 40s" statement. It's sort of a silly comment coming from someone who lives in a relatively hot and sprawling state. It would be like me saying to you "You've probably never watched an SEC football game in your life."

Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I lived in Memphis for 14 years.... I know plenty of people of all races. You must not know the south very well, which let's be honest, we all know you don't based off of your posts.
You clearly don't know plenty of Black people. That's actually a fair assumption to make since anybody who knows a large number of Black people knows that July/August is family reunion season and many families make their way down South for cookouts and fish fries.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Have you ever been in the south in July or August? Ain't many cookouts going on down here during that time of year either, unless the person has a pool, or you consider a couple of guys cooking while everyone else is inside a "cookout".
LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJOsExb0LU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or