U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,459,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
OP, I think you're missing time-of-day in your logic. Most people work from 7am to 7pm (when we factor in getting ready for work plus commuting). This means that for most of us, before-work excercise and after-work social gatherings are the norm. The weather at 6am and 730pm is what matters to most people.

YES, the sunbelt is hot during the day (while most of us are at work), but it feels GREAT when most of us are at play. 70s and 80s in the late-evening Sun is not a bad deal. Also, it's nice to go out late-night in 70s and 80s.

In the winter, Sunbelt residents can expect some daytime highs in the 60s and 70s. We can also expect a little snow.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...e-Snow-007.jpg

So it's not like Sunbelt residents are burning up daily, and we certainly see our small share of snow too. On average though, I do prefer Sunbelt weather. Every area has its extremes; it's the average that matters most.
Even at 7 am and 8 pm, most of the areas in the sunbelt are uncomfortably warm and humid even at these times for a good portion of the year. West coast not included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 AM

363 posts, read 367,180 times
There have been many many threads about this. It's all about personal preference. Some like it hot, some like it cold. OP, as hard is it to believe, some of us do love the heat. No, I don't just go from one air conditioned place to another. I actually enjoy the warm mornings and evenings. I wait for the summer every year. I even mow my lawn in the middle of the day when it is 100 degrees outside. I cannot deal with adding extra layers every time I step outside. I don't like being cold or when it is gray outside with bare trees. Having said that, I completely understand if some people like it cold. Thankfully not everyone is made the same.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM

2,515 posts, read 2,265,374 times
Cold is harder to deal with and more painful imo. At least with sun its just uncomfortable and you go into an air conditioned place. I enjoy shorts, tshirts and flip flops. Also the option to lay out by the pool or sit outside at a restaurant to eat. Summer just provides more options when it comes to daily activities.

With cold you have to shovel, dress appropriately and deal with all of the traffic delays. Cold is also associated with evenings getting much darker sooner and grey weather, I remember in Chicago there would long stretches of grey skys with no sunlight at all which can be quite depressing. And the wind! Ouch!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,630,158 times
The main advantage living in a hot/humid place in the Sunbelt is that the ocean is warm enough for water activities (at least in FL, AL, LA, parts of TX). AZ being landlocked would be the least desirable for me.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,762,574 times
I grew up with snow from October/November to May/June. We had snow skies buy the time we walked upright. WA was ok but the daily rain and overcast skies got old. Give me sunshine, give me heat, I even take the constant wind/dust in TX/OK, humidity in GA/AL is fine. So far every state we lived in had some snow/ice and be it just freaky storms. Enough for me. The last fur coat is feeding moths. They eat well:>)

To each his/her own. We are all individuals with needs, wants, preferences and dreams. And that includes the climate we live in.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM

2,533 posts, read 1,823,367 times
I have yet to slip and fall on a hot sidewalk. Cannot say the same for an icy one
The 2 winters prior to my moving to Florida I had to hire a front end loader/backhoe to clear the snow from our driveway -- it was simply too deep to shovel.
Several times the power lines iced and then fell due to the extra weight. The power was out 5 days on one occasion and 3 days on another.
Yes, it is hot here in the summer but that is why we have swimming pools to cool off in if the power goes out here (a rare occurrence)

Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,031,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Having spent time all over the US at various points during the year, it's always floored me why it seems the majority of Americans have this love for southern/hot cities.

For example, I lived in AZ for 2 years. The summer was completely miserable. Kids get out of school and can't wait for the freedom to play, etc, and then they are trapped inside away from the dangerous heat and sun most of the time. We found ourselves looking for indoor options to keep them busy (after being sick of swimming in the pool 10 days in a row).

I've been to NOLA, Key West, South Carolina in the summer and it was unbearably hot.

But for some reason, people want to flock to scorching Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. to live. Houston, in the summer, is a living hell.

I get wanting to avoid freezing winters, but most years they aren't any more difficult to deal with than being super hot for 4-5 months a year. There are some amazing cities dismissed by many due to the fact they get snow/cold. I kind of SMH thinking about it.

Do people forget how nasty the summers can be in their quest for never being cold?
Why do people like cold bone chilling weather, snotty noses, dressing like a mummy, driving in black ice, grey skies, and shoveling snow? I just don't get it, could it be preference?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
As I've said in the past, I would enjoy hot weather much more if I wasn't a profuse sweater. I'm not talking about sweaty pits, I'm talking about sweat dripping from my hair and soaking through my entire shirt. It makes anything even in the 80s uncomfortable for me.

In addition (and quite possibly related), on a scale of one to ten, I'm an eight or nine in terms of body hair. There's absolutely no way I'm subjecting my hairy back on anyone outside the family. On the rare occasions I go to the pool or beach (can't swim anyway) I always keep on my shirt. So water activities just don't really appeal to me.

The thing I really don't understand is how people in the Sunbelt deal with the heat when they need to dress professionally for work. Even in the summer up here I sweat all the way through my undershirt onto my button up shirt. I can't imagine if I needed to have a job where I wore a long-sleeve dress shirt, tie, and sportscoat.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 AM

9,413 posts, read 5,238,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am the opposite, I can't stand too many days in a row with harsh sunlight. The area I live in, however, features limited sunlight during sizable chunks of the year.
There are actually people who have a form ofseasonal affective disorder that's related to summer months with our bodies " loathing/rejecting" summer/too much sun light. I'm like you, btw.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 AM

379 posts, read 204,230 times
Why do people forget that even the hottest of summer days have mornings and evenings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or