U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,111,831 times

Advertisements

Unless you live on the ocean, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
having a pool or knowing someone in your neighborhood with a pool, being able to golf ,horseback ride etc. and do outdoor activities almost year round. Being able to grow some amazing things in your garden like citrus and great vegetables and amazing plants

Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 AM

908 posts, read 911,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Climate, and its supposed effect on cognitive ability, has nothing to do with how different societies developed. If cold weather enhanced cognition, then it stands to reason that the Celts would have developed an alphabet and large-scale agriculture independently. They also would have been building roads, aqueducts, bridges, great colosseums, sewers, etc. Instead these things developed first in the warmer regions of the world.
The British Isles aren't "cold". They're "cool".

Besides that, the Mediterranean isn't "hot", it's "warm".

Old 07-20-2016, 12:49 PM

28,254 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
The British Isles aren't "cold". They're "cool".

Besides that, the Mediterranean isn't "hot", it's "warm".
Nobody called the British Isles "cold" or the Mediterranean "hot" or "warm." We said that civilization didn't develop in the colder parts of the world. All of the hallmarks of civilization--writing, urbanization, architecture, engineering, advanced agriculture, science, literature--came to Northern Europe from places in the East that were compartively warmer (Rome, Greece, Persia, Mesopotamia, etc.). If the development of writing and agriculture were not by chance, and were largely the product of human determination and ingenuity, then they should have arisen in Northern Europe or among the Amerindians of the Upper Midwest if it is to be believed that cold climates in fact enhance cognitive ability (or rather creative selective pressures for higher order cognitive ability). But that's not what happened. After the collapse of the Roman empire, learning, scientific inquiry and "civilization" continued to move forward in Constantinople and the Middle East while Northern Europe remained backwards and illiterate.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-20-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 01:48 PM

908 posts, read 911,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nobody called the British Isles "cold" or the Mediterranean "hot" or "warm." We said that civilization didn't develop in the colder parts of the world. All of the hallmarks of civilization--writing, urbanization, architecture, engineering, advanced agriculture, science, literature--came to Northern Europe from places in the East that were compartively warmer (Rome, Greece, Persia, Mesopotamia, etc.). If the development of writing and agriculture were not by chance, and were largely the product of human determination and ingenuity, then they should have arisen in Northern Europe or among the Amerindians of the Upper Midwest if it is to be believed that cold climates in fact enhance cognitive ability (or rather creative selective pressures for higher order cognitive ability). But that's not what happened. After the collapse of the Roman empire, learning, scientific inquiry and "civilization" continued to move forward in Constantinople and the Middle East while Northern Europe remained backwards and illiterate.
"If cold weather enhanced cognition..."

British Isles aren't 'cold'.

With that being said, you're oversimplifying something complex.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:18 PM

28,254 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
"If cold weather enhanced cognition..."

British Isles aren't 'cold'.
The British Isles are cold compared to Egypt.

Quote:
With that being said, you're oversimplifying something complex.
I'm not oversimplifying anything. This is a knee jerk response to a statement that was made in response to a conversation you clearly didn't follow.

A poster said that colder climates possibly led to greateer cognitive abilities, which "sadly" led to Northern Europeans dominating the world. Whether he knows it or not, this is a widely held theory among adherents of scientific racism. If it's true that colder climates enhance cognition, then Britons, the Anglos, the Saxons, the Jutes and all of the Germanic tribes should have pioneered systems of writing and agriculture well before the Sumerians, Egyptians, etc.

So I'm not oversimplifying something complex. I'm refuting a simplistic thesis that seems to be held by too many people on the internet.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:19 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
I am in a 76 degree house looking outside at sunshine. It works for me and my bones.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 AM

1,244 posts, read 821,518 times
Lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years and absolutely hated growing up there. Too hot to do anything in the summer. Winter was ok but it's not like you can go swimming or anything. Have lived in upstate NY for about the last 7 years a absolutely love it. The wife, kids, and I are always outside and always comfortable being outside during the spring, summer, and fall. And during the winter we are able to let the kids experience things like ice skating, sledding, snow shoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and just enjoy the beauty of the snow in general. And as far as I'm concerned there is nothing more comforting and relaxing then snuggling up on the couch with the family and a hot cup of coffee while watching the snow come down,

We've considered moving south but I think it'd be unfair to the kids and robbing them of a fun childhood to move them far from so much to do.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years and absolutely hated growing up there. Too hot to do anything in the summer. Winter was ok but it's not like you can go swimming or anything. Have lived in upstate NY for about the last 7 years a absolutely love it. The wife, kids, and I are always outside and always comfortable being outside during the spring, summer, and fall. And during the winter we are able to let the kids experience things like ice skating, sledding, snow shoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and just enjoy the beauty of the snow in general. And as far as I'm concerned there is nothing more comforting and relaxing then snuggling up on the couch with the family and a hot cup of coffee while watching the snow come down,

We've considered moving south but I think it'd be unfair to the kids and robbing them of a fun childhood to move them far from so much to do.
Move southWEST, best of both worlds, you can live in a place where you CAN swim outdoors all year, and it's only a 3 hr drive to snow, skiing etc in the winter if you desire

Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 AM

1,244 posts, read 821,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Move southWEST, best of both worlds, you can live in a place where you CAN swim outdoors all year, and it's only a 3 hr drive to snow, skiing etc in the winter if you desire
3 hour drive is WAY to long to get to snow for me. I want to always have snow on the ground in the winter. Plus I couldn't handle the southwest heat and non stop sunshine. I enjoy a good mix of weather conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or