U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
3 hour drive is WAY to long to get to snow for me. I want to always have snow on the ground in the winter. Plus I couldn't handle the southwest heat and non stop sunshine. I enjoy a good mix of weather conditions.
We do get rain unbeknownst to most outsiders, this isn't Egypt or Morocco. Anyways, alot of locals here in Phoenix drive up to the AZ Snowbowl every weekend during ski season, it's a common thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 AM

1,250 posts, read 823,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We do get rain unbeknownst to most outsiders, this isn't Egypt or Morocco. Anyways, alot of locals here in Phoenix drive up to the AZ Snowbowl every weekend during ski season, it's a common thing
Yea I've heard that a lot. Looks very nice from the pictures I've seen. I just couldn't really see my self happy in the southwest. I couldn't live in any of the major metro areas. A lot of places seem to be very "new" there since is has become a very popular place to move.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,640,935 times
If hot weather is desirable does anyone want to trade me?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:57 PM

3,082 posts, read 2,116,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

But for some reason, people want to flock to scorching Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. to live. Houston, in the summer, is a living hell.
Cuz boomers are getting older and hot feels better on them old bones than cold does.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:23 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Temps dip at night. So in warm weather cities in the summer time Temps can go from a miserable 93 degrees in the day, to a do-able 79-83 degrees at night. In the winter, if the high is 40-50 during the day, it only stands to get worse and even more miserable, and colder at night. Plus, during the summer, there's beaches, local community pools, lakes, waterparks, themeparks etc that are available to the masses and are rather cheap and easily accessible to those in urban areas, suburbs or the country. Summer activity is cheap AND fun. Winter recreation on the other hand means driving out of the city to the mountains to ski. Other than that, you have ice-skating, ice-hockey and not much else in the winter. Maybe sliding down the streets of the neighborhood? Winter rec is limited. Also, timely temp variation isn't as present in winter weather as it is in summer weather. When folks wanna go out the most and explore the city(night time) that's when temps dip the most. Nightlife on this whole planet is built around cities associated with warmth. Vegas, Miami, Ibiza, New Orleans, Rio, Tel Aviv, etc.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:27 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,451,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Temps dip at night. So in warm weather cities in the summer time Temps can go from a miserable 93 degrees in the day, to a do-able 79-83 degrees at night. In the winter, if the high is 40-50 during the day, it only stands to get worse and even more miserable, and colder at night. Plus there's beaches, pools, lakes, waterparks, themeparks etc that are available to the masses and are rather cheap and easily accessible to those in urban areas, suburbs or the country. Summer activity is cheap AND fun. Urban Winter recreation on the other hand means driving out of the city to the mountains to ski. Other than that, you have ice-skating, ice-hockey and not much else. Maybe sliding down the streets of the neighborhood? Winter rec is limited, and timely temp variation isn't as present in winter weather. When folks wanna go out the most(night time) that's when temps dip the most. Nightlife on this whole planet is built around cities associated with warmth. Vegas, Miami, Ibiza, New Orleans, Rio, Tel Aviv, etc.
79-83 at night is hot, and without AC, very, very uncomfortable. The best thing about northern cities is that heat waves have an "end" to them, and will not go on for months. As far as winter weather is concerned, just put on a warm coat, and that's about it. A winter day of 30 degrees is very comfortable, and 20 or less can be just fine, too..

Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
79-83 at night is hot, and without AC, very, very uncomfortable. The best thing about northern cities is that heat waves have an "end" to them, and will not go on for months. As far as winter weather is concerned, just put on a warm coat, and that's about it. A winter day of 30 degrees is very comfortable, and 20 or less can be just fine, too..
Yeeeeeeah, I guess it comes down to ones own level of tolerance. Because I don't see how 79-83 can be seen as uncomfortable, and yet 30 or 20degrees(below the freezing point of water) can be seen as comfortable. I can go out in either one of those situations, but I'd MUCH prefer to go out in the 79-83 degrees at night rather than the night temps of 20-30 degrees. For me, the general rule is, if I HAVE to put on multiple layers, just to do simple tasks like taking out the trash, than that's just not comfortable weather. Warm weather is just so much easier to dress for and easier to travel in, and easier to find things to do in.

And Northern Heat Waves seem to be just as miserable as an average summer day in the South. At least depending on where you live down South, there's more access to sea-breeze and water sports. Northern cities with their superior urbanism, and density, and older structures, actually work against them in the summer months. That's why a summer in Boston, NYC, or Chicago can almost be as miserable as a summer in Miami. Yet, you'd never see a winter in Miami being as miserably cold(though Miami is subject to snap cold waves) as those Northern cities.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree. It's hot here this week. We may have our first official heat wave of the summer this weekend (3 consecutive days of 90 degrees or above). At 2 AM right now it's 76 degrees outside and I'm running the AC to make it comfortable enough to sleep.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
For me, the general rule is, if I HAVE to put on multiple layers, just to do simple tasks like taking out the trash, than that's just not comfortable weather. Warm weather is just so much easier to dress for and easier to travel in, and easier to find things to do in.
Just to take out the trash? I never put on my jacket in winter to put out the trash at night. Hell, sometimes I don't even put on pants and go out in a t-shirt and boxers - or even go barefoot if there isn't snow on the ground. As long as you get back in the house quickly, it's not like you'll get frostbite or anything.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 AM

125 posts, read 105,159 times
For some guys, the hotter it is the less the females wear. Guys like looking at female legs or cleavage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or