U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,266 posts, read 3,247,519 times
Reputation: 3697

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If hot weather is desirable does anyone want to trade me?

Like you, let me in on trading w/ someone who wants more heat.
After 37 years in the southeast, I'M OVER IT & it's not desirable!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 AM
 
7,598 posts, read 9,450,003 times
Reputation: 8960
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeeeeeeah, I guess it comes down to ones own level of tolerance. Because I don't see how 79-83 can be seen as uncomfortable, and yet 30 or 20degrees(below the freezing point of water) can be seen as comfortable. I can go out in either one of those situations, but I'd MUCH prefer to go out in the 79-83 degrees at night rather than the night temps of 20-30 degrees. For me, the general rule is, if I HAVE to put on multiple layers, just to do simple tasks like taking out the trash, than that's just not comfortable weather. Warm weather is just so much easier to dress for and easier to travel in, and easier to find things to do in.

And Northern Heat Waves seem to be just as miserable as an average summer day in the South. At least depending on where you live down South, there's more access to sea-breeze and water sports. Northern cities with their superior urbanism, and density, and older structures, actually work against them in the summer months. That's why a summer in Boston, NYC, or Chicago can almost be as miserable as a summer in Miami. Yet, you'd never see a winter in Miami being as miserably cold(though Miami is subject to snap cold waves) as those Northern cities.
I'm talking about DAYTIME highs of 20 or 30 degrees; a winter night at 30 degrees is fairly warm. You certainly don't need to put on "multiple" layers of clothing for something that will only take half a minute. I take out trash at night in the winter wearing a simple shirt, and I've lived in upstate NY, WI, VT and MA..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm talking about DAYTIME highs of 20 or 30 degrees; a winter night at 30 degrees is fairly warm. You certainly don't need to put on "multiple" layers of clothing for something that will only take half a minute. I take out trash at night in the winter wearing a simple shirt, and I've lived in upstate NY, WI, VT and MA..
You guys must be walruses or something, I get cold at temps below 60, and below 50, I need a parka and beanie.

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 07-22-2016 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeeeeeeah, I guess it comes down to ones own level of tolerance. Because I don't see how 79-83 can be seen as uncomfortable, and yet 30 or 20degrees(below the freezing point of water) can be seen as comfortable.
This is City-Data. There are posters here who will say they prefer the feel of sandpaper to silk sheets.

The vast majority of people do not find 30 degrees comfortable as evidenced by the fact there's virtually no outdoor seating at cafes and restaurants on winter nights absent some enclosure and/or heating. On the flipside, cities bustle the most on a 79-83 degree evening and pedestrian/cycling volume is always heavier in that temperature range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Just to take out the trash? I never put on my jacket in winter to put out the trash at night. Hell, sometimes I don't even put on pants and go out in a t-shirt and boxers - or even go barefoot if there isn't snow on the ground. As long as you get back in the house quickly, it's not like you'll get frostbite or anything.
Were you that kid who used to wear shorts to school in February?

I felt those kids were always trying to prove a point. I would love to see them in shorts and a t-shirt in 19 degree temperatures for 8-10 hours straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Reputation: 10539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You guys must me walruses or something, I get cold at temps below 60, and below 50, I need a parka and beanie.
It usually takes me around 2-3 minutes to feel uncomfortably cold if I go outside when it's below freezing underdressed. For normal walking around in the winter I don't think I underdress though. I really don't understand people who wear long underwear in the winter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Were you that kid who used to wear shorts to school in February?
No, but I didn't layer much in high school, because I didn't want to be hot walking around the school, I typically wore nothing but a T-shirt under my coat.

I will say when I was in my early 20s I would walk back and forth from a gym which was only a few blocks from my house in shorts, even in winter time. It was a small gym with only one shower, so I figured it would be easier to just go back home and shower. Walking to the gym was no big deal, but walking home from the gym in below freezing weather in sweat-soaked gym clothing (and dripping wet hair) was very unpleasant to say the least. Still, I never got frostbite or hypothermia, so it all turned out okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, but I didn't layer much in high school, because I didn't want to be hot walking around the school, I typically wore nothing but a T-shirt under my coat.
Why even wear a coat if the cold is comfortable to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Reputation: 10539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why even wear a coat if the cold is comfortable to you?
I didn't say I didn't get cold, I said I don't get cold quickly. If I need to run outside to my car for something in the winter, I'll not put on a coat. If I need to catch a bus downtown, I'll wear a coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,640,935 times
Reputation: 3625
I'm not an Arizonan at heart, I thrive when it's in the 40s and 30s here in Tucson, however I do admit those few shots of alcohol I've had before help out (those temps are only seen at night) I love the comfort of wearing a big hoodie and my socks not turning into a lake when I go out for a walk. I went on a hike on A Mountain here in Tucson two nights ago, and it was great, but I was stupid and didn't bring enough water but the city lights and everything was phenomenal.

I do love the summer nights here, they are phenomenal. But the same temps with the sun is a whole other game. Similarly, I can take 100+ heat significantly better when there is an overcast. Or when there is wind.

Ideally the place I'd like to live in would have highs hover in the 80s and 70s, no triple digits ever again, and I would like to not live somewhere that doesn't go too far below zero. Or not even below zero at all, honestly I don't know how cold I can go, but -50 is probably too cold, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,250 posts, read 823,096 times
Reputation: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I'm not an Arizonan at heart, I thrive when it's in the 40s and 30s here in Tucson, however I do admit those few shots of alcohol I've had before help out (those temps are only seen at night) I love the comfort of wearing a big hoodie and my socks not turning into a lake when I go out for a walk. I went on a hike on A Mountain here in Tucson two nights ago, and it was great, but I was stupid and didn't bring enough water but the city lights and everything was phenomenal.

I do love the summer nights here, they are phenomenal. But the same temps with the sun is a whole other game. Similarly, I can take 100+ heat significantly better when there is an overcast. Or when there is wind.

Ideally the place I'd like to live in would have highs hover in the 80s and 70s, no triple digits ever again, and I would like to not live somewhere that doesn't go too far below zero. Or not even below zero at all, honestly I don't know how cold I can go, but -50 is probably too cold, lol.
Anything below 0 is pretty much all the same anyways. Going from 80 to 100 is a lot more noticeable than going from 0 to -20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top