U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:21 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You obviously didn't look at obesity statistics before putting that theory out there. Several of yhe fattest states in the country are in the southeast.
Yeah, I knew this response was coming.

When I talk about being out of shape, I'm not talking about Southern metros with tons of people living below the poverty line. I'm talking more about educated professionals in a place like Los Angeles compared to New York. You can be skinny and still have girl shoulders, scrawny arms, weak back muscles, bad posture, etc. Compared to L.A., Miami or San Diego, there are far fewer well-built men and toned women in NYC, in my experience. When I go out in New York, I feel I have broader shoulders and larger biceps than most guys around me, but I feel the opposite in L.A.

Bony to Bombshell — Muscle-Building Training Program for Women

If you look at the body comparisons on the right, there are certainly more women who look like the photo on the left in Manhattan than there are in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 12:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 2,268,209 times
Todays heat in DC is a bit unbeareable :/

I don't necessarily prefer hot hot weather, I'd just rather do a few 95+ days then a month+ of below 30.... ideally 70-80 range would be perfect!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:13 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,306,567 times
It may be desireable because hot weather makes plants grow. Food can be produced. Farming can take place. Plants will produce fruits, etc. Hot weather makes flowers bloom, it makes the birds chirp in the morning, people tend to be less sickly during warm weather... i.e...Summer time is not cold and flu season. There's more sunlight, etc. There's lots of reason warm weather is better than cold weather.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,519,707 times
It's just a personal preference. I love the heat. As long as I can dress accordingly, neither heat nor cold bother me at all. I live in the western suburbs of Charlotte. There are hotter places than here, but I enjoy the heat. It makes swimming much more enjoyable. I can truly understand why someone wouldn't like the heat and humidity, but my family and I love it, as kids and as adults.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 PM

381 posts, read 131,970 times
I have to admit, for years I've wanted to move to a warmer state than Michigan. This summer really has me rethinking it as I've been really feeling the heat, and that's not taking into account the past few days which probably is typical for places like AZ, TX, etc. I still love how alive Michigan is during the summer, however.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,750,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, I knew this response was coming.

When I talk about being out of shape, I'm not talking about Southern metros with tons of people living below the poverty line. I'm talking more about educated professionals in a place like Los Angeles compared to New York. You can be skinny and still have girl shoulders, scrawny arms, weak back muscles, bad posture, etc. Compared to L.A., Miami or San Diego, there are far fewer well-built men and toned women in NYC, in my experience. When I go out in New York, I feel I have broader shoulders and larger biceps than most guys around me, but I feel the opposite in L.A.

Bony to Bombshell — Muscle-Building Training Program for Women

If you look at the body comparisons on the right, there are certainly more women who look like the photo on the left in Manhattan than there are in L.A.
Agreed.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
I sweat profusely, and my eyes are susceptible to glare. I like a variety of weather, but I have low heat tolerance and high cold tolerance. When temperatures are below 50°F, I prefer cloud cover. When temperatures are above 70°F, I prefer sunshine. A day that's cloudy and warm is a waste. A day that's sunny and cold is annoying. A day that's sunny and warm is pleasant. A day that's cloudy and cold is cozy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Another thing I've noticed is that cold climates usually seem to keep the trashy people away.
Prince noticed that too. It's part of why he liked living in Minnesota. He said, "I like the cold weather; it keeps the bad people away."

Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or ask why restaurants offer outdoor seating in the dog days of summer but don't offer it in late January/early February. There is virtually zero sidewalk seating at restaurants and cafes in NYC during the winter and the few places that do offer it are enclosed and/or have heaters. If the cold were so comfortable, then you'd have more people enjoying dinner outside on 13 degree evenings without overhead heaters.
I remember eating dinner at a CPK in Huntington Beach, CA in February one year, and the only table available was in the outdoor area, they had space heaters going, temp was in the 50's with heavy marine layer, and even with the space heaters, it was COLD

Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,750,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I remember eating dinner at a CPK in Huntington Beach, CA in February one year, and the only table available was in the outdoor area, they had space heaters going, temp was in the 50's with heavy marine layer, and even with the space heaters, it was COLD
That sounds miserable.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That sounds miserable.
It was less than pleasant for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or