U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,957,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
For me, I prefer this hot ass day in Chicago, over a 45F gloomy day in December. A lot more people outside doing things too in this weather. You would see like 1/2 the amount of people you see outside right now in January in Chicago.

Also this is not a heat wave nor a BIG heat wave for Chicago. Yes, it's above average but this is not considered a heat wave in Chicago by any means.....not sure where that heck you are getting that from.
"Hot"? lol Hardly.

Yes, its a heat wave. When youre nearly 10 degrees over average, I consider that a heat wave. Avg July temp in CHI is 83 from what I see. Yes, you do have several days at 90+ degrees every year, but thats not the norm. The NORM is lower 80s. Get where Im coming from, holmes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:48 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,132,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
"Hot"? lol Hardly.

Yes, its a heat wave. When youre nearly 10 degrees over average, I consider that a heat wave. Avg July temp in CHI is 83 from what I see. Yes, you do have several days at 90+ degree every year, but thats not the norm. The NORM is lower 80s. Get where Im coming from, holmes?
Lol, do you live in Chicago? I have lived here for 30 years this is not a heat wave.

Also, Chicago weather is like this, it's very unpredictable. One day we will have a high of 75 in June and the next a high of 92, which is what a lot of times might drive an average temp of lower to mid 80s. Take a look at June's temperatures at the following link, we have highs all over the place that range from 68F to 92F, which when you do the math, it creates an average in the mid to low 80s: Chicago June Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

Also here is July 2015 which you have several days in the 90s, 80s, and 70s. So I 90F humid day in Chicago in the summer, is nothing special. No it's not every day but it's not that uncommon here either. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chi...onyr=7/01/2015

For reference, Chicago averages 16-23 days above 90 degrees every summer so not sure what would make this weather a heat wave? Source: Chicago’s average number of 90-degree days | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts

Just for clarification, about 85% of Chicago's population lives 2 miles inland. A heat wave in Chicago is when the highs are in upper 90s, like 97F and above.

Enjoy chewing on that holmes.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
I like the cold because it is much easier to keep warm than to stay cool. If one is cold you can put on warmer clothes but you can only take of so many clothes in a professional work environment or even outdoors.
However the american south has the ideal climate for productive agriculture.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM

28,284 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Average hourly pedestrian counts at select locations in Center City Philadelphia by season.

Summer - 121,556
Fall - 120,724
Spring - 114,123
Winter - 94,821

https://www.centercityphila.org/docs/CCR13_retail.pdf

Old 07-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Average hourly pedestrian counts at select locations in Center City Philadelphia by season.

Summer - 121,556
Fall - 120,724
Spring - 114,123
Winter - 94,821

https://www.centercityphila.org/docs/CCR13_retail.pdf
Wow, that's pretty significant. Again, I respect people who prefer the cold, but I think on average most people prefer the heat.

Even if you go by anecdotal evidence that is in your face. One has to ask themselves, why do people in northern cold cities want to escape winter so much and go to hot/warm destinations in the winter for vacation? And why aren't people in the summer going to places that are cold in the summer? I think it's solid evidence that overall people prefer warmer weather. No not everybody, but I would say on average it probably skews to warmer climates.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:12 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,980,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Because these people never spend more than 10 minutes outdoors. They walk from air-conditioned box to air-conditioned box. People and cold cities actually have to interact with the cold: shoveling sidewalks and driveways, scraping windshields, walking or driving through snow.
This...+1.

Clothing is why. Getting ready to go out in the winter, especially during a storm, is a hassle after a while (I love when it begins to get cold, but by February I'm ready for warmth). In the summer all you have to do is slip on some sandals or shoes and go.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,957,250 times
Quote:
Lol, do you live in Chicago? I have lived here for 30 years this is not a heat wave.

Also, Chicago weather is like this, it's very unpredictable. One day we will have a high of 75 in June and the next a high of 92, which is what a lot of times might drive an average temp of lower to mid 80s. Take a look at June's temperatures at the following link, we have highs all over the place that range from 68F to 92F, which when you do the math, it creates an average in the mid to low 80s: Chicago June Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

Also here is July 2015 which you have several days in the 90s, 80s, and 70s. So I 90F humid day in Chicago in the summer, is nothing special. No it's not every day but it's not that uncommon here either. Chicago Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

For reference, Chicago averages 16-23 days above 90 degrees every summer so not sure what would make this weather a heat wave? Source: Chicago’s average number of 90-degree days | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts

Just for clarification, about 85% of Chicago's population lives 2 miles inland. A heat wave in Chicago is when the highs are in upper 90s, like 97F and above.

Enjoy chewing on that holmes.
Lived there for 35 years. Chew on that juicy fact, holmes.

Im well aware of how much the temps vary and swing in Chicagoland, but 90-degree days only occur for a small handful of days throughout summer at best. Sometimes you might get 20 spread out over a 4 month period, other summers maybe 4-5 all summer long. And I never said it was "uncommon", I said it wasnt normal, which is the truth. And are you the one who determines what constitutes a heat wave in Chicago? lol I was unaware that it was marked specifically at 97 exact degrees and above. Interesting. A heat wave (to me) is when temps are above average. It doesnt have to be an atrocious spike in temps to clarify as a heat wave. I bet in January if you had a few consecutive days with highs in the low 50s, Skilling would be calling it a "heat wave". But thats different, right?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
This...+1.

Clothing is why. Getting ready to go out in the winter, especially during a storm, is a hassle after a while (I love when it begins to get cold, but by February I'm ready for warmth). In the summer all you have to do is slip on some sandals or shoes and go.
Exactly. Heck if you have a pool you can be hanging out just in your swimwear all day. Like even going to the gym in the winter is a pain. I have to take three pairs of shoes, my winter boots, work shoes, and gym shoes (I work out in the mornings).

I am also someone the more naked a I am the better, haha. I live alone, and the less clothes on the better I feel. So in winter, I hate having to wear so many layers. What also sucks is sometimes you get hot underneath those layers too. So you are cold and hot at the same time, which sucks.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:20 PM

28,284 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Quote:
Like even going to the gym in the winter is a pain. I have to take three pairs of shoes, my winter boots, work shoes, and gym shoes (I work out in the mornings).
U.S. Health Habits Continue Sharp Winter Decline

But if you don't like exercising then I guess this is irrelevant.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Lived there for 35 years. Chew on that juicy fact, holmes.

Im well aware of how much the temps vary and swing in Chicagoland, but 90-degree days only occur for a small handful of days throughout summer at best. Sometimes you might get 20 spread out over a 4 month period, other summers maybe 4-5 all summer long. And I never said it was "uncommon", I said it wasnt normal, which is the truth. And are you the one who determines what constitutes a heat wave in Chicago? lol I was unaware that it was marked specifically at 97 exact degrees and above. Interesting. A heat wave (to me) is when temps are above average. It doesnt have to be an atrocious spike in temps to clarify as a heat wave. I bet in January if you had a few consecutive days with highs in the low 50s, Skilling would be calling it a "heat wave". But thats different, right?
16-23 days is not just a handful of days....

And you should know that Chicago doesn't really get hot until the very end of May and ends at the beginning of Setpember, so it's more like spread in 3.5 month period. Chicago does not have summer for 5 months LOL . It's more like 3.5 months, and 4 months would be generous.

Here is the definition of a heat wave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_wave

"In the United States, definitions also vary by region; however, a heat wave is usually defined as a period of at least two or more days of excessively hot weather.[7] In the Northeast, a heat wave is typically defined as three consecutive days where the temperature reaches or exceeds 90 °F (32.2 °C), but not always as this ties in with humidity levels to determine a heat index threshold.[8] The same does not apply to drier climates. A heat storm is a Californian term for an extended heat wave. Heat storms occur when the temperature reaches 100 °F (37.8 °C) for three or more consecutive days over a wide area (tens of thousands of square miles). The National Weather Service issues heat advisories and excessive heat warnings when unusual periods of hot weather are expected."

Hence we are not in a heat wave, the Arizona heat must be affecting your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or