U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 03:54 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
The Orange Bowl no longer exists
I thought Clemson beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl last year.

Anyway, there's a simple solution to playing a football game in Miami on July 20th: play it at nighttime.

On the flipside, is there any comfortable time of day when your high temperature is 25 degrees?

When people complain about the heat, they are usually focused on the absolute maximum temperature on any given day. Yeah, it doesn't feel terribly great when it's 96 degrees during lunchtime, but it feels more than tolerable at 9 pm on a Friday night. When you have a high temperature of 34, Friday night is going to be, what, 22 degrees? Oh boy, that sounds fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 03:56 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,128,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I thought Clemson beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl last year.

Anyway, there's a simple solution to playing a football game in Miami on July 20th: play it at nighttime.

On the flipside, is there any comfortable time of day when your high temperature is 25 degrees?

When people complain about the heat, they are usually focused on the absolute maximum temperature on any given day. Yeah, it doesn't feel terribly great when it's 96 degrees during lunchtime, but it feels more than tolerable at 9 pm on a Friday night. When you have a high temperature of 34, Friday night is going to be, what, 22 degrees? Oh boy, that sounds fun.
Well there is the bowl, the Orange Bowl, and there is the actual stadium, the Orange Bowl that once existed, but was demolished maybe like 5-6 years ago I believe.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM

But you have cider and sweaters during the cold months. Meanwhile, women are showing skin in Miami during the height of summer. Who wants to see that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2TUATuZSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP3XoT_vamI

Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 PM

908 posts, read 911,630 times
Quote:
Or ask why restaurants offer outdoor seating in the dog days of summer but don't offer it in late January/early February. There is virtually zero sidewalk seating at restaurants and cafes in NYC during the winter and the few places that do offer it are enclosed and/or have heaters. If the cold were so comfortable, then you'd have more people enjoying dinner outside on 13 degree evenings without overhead heaters.
Say 60F degrees is a happy balance.

20 degrees is 40 degrees below 60. 100 is 40 degrees above 60.

If you're comparing a 10 degree January day in NY to an 90 degree day in Miami, not fair. Try 110 degrees in Florida versus 10 degrees in NY. Nobody would be outside.

That's the problem - when someone says, "I like the cold", people assume they like ice hanging from their brow. Nah, from my own personal standpoint, I like 55-65. For most people down south, that would be sweater and scarf weather. They'd say it's "cold".

No heater, no A/C, just right. It's great for saving money too.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,026,790 times
My "perfect" number is 75 degrees. Whether it's cloudy, rainy, or windy; 75 feels fine. 55-65 can feel uncomfortable with heavy wind/rain and cloudy conditions. I've never experienced an uncomfortable 75.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
If you're comparing a 10 degree January day in NY to an 90 degree day in Miami, not fair. Try 110 degrees in Florida versus 10 degrees in NY. Nobody would be outside.
That's not true.

People are out in Miami on summer days and summer nights. In NYC, people are outside more or less out of necessity (commuting to work). There are no rooftop parties, no festivals, no outdoor seating, etc. 99% of the things to do will be indoors with the exception of things like ice skating. But there won't be any parties at the Standard or Habana Outpost. Any semblance of social life moves indoors until the weather breaks.

Quote:
That's the problem - when someone says, "I like the cold", people assume they like ice hanging from their brow. Nah, from my own personal standpoint, I like 55-65. For most people down south, that would be sweater and scarf weather. They'd say it's "cold".
I'm rather cold-averse and I don't even consider 55-65 "cold." That's Bay Area/San Francisco-like weather. It may not represent an ideal temperature for many people, but there are few people who are going to whine about a 55 degree day. "Cold" temperatures, I would say, are what we have in the Eastern U.S. where temps dip down below 40 degrees.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My "perfect" number is 75 degrees. Whether it's cloudy, rainy, or windy; 75 feels fine. 55-65 can feel uncomfortable with heavy wind/rain and cloudy conditions. I've never experienced an uncomfortable 75.
I used to not like the 60s, but they are quite pleasant for outdoor activities. A run or outdoor hoops around 68/69 degrees is perfect. I prefer the low 70s for biking. Even though I get hot while biking, the wind can make me a little cold so I like the air a tad warmer.

A perfect day would start around 68 and peak at 85. 85 degrees, for me, is that sweet spot where you can enjoy a pool without feeling chilly once you get out.

I don't care for the 90s, but I'll take the 90s over the 30s. And I would take about anything over -10. There is no worse feeling than being in NYC's financial district with a windchill of -7 and the wind howling through a gigantic air tunnel created by all the buildings. Heat can wear you down but that type of cold cuts right through your bones.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Say 60F degrees is a happy balance.

20 degrees is 40 degrees below 60. 100 is 40 degrees above 60.

No heater, no A/C, just right. It's great for saving money too.
First Florida rarely reaches 100 degrees: Hot News: S. Florida Hit 100 Degrees In '42 - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Last time Miami hit 100F was in 1942. Last time Ft. Lauderdale hit 99F was in 1966! So the comparison of 110 degrees in Florida doesn't stick (no pun intended).

Las Vegas, when I was there a few weeks ago, the highs every day, where 110 to 115 degrees. There were PLENTY of people outside. Yes you would have to take breaks, and cool off, but people were out and about. Now we certainly saw less of the strip compared to if it would have been cooler, but we managed. Also it gave us a great opportunity to hang outside at the pool for hours. We hung out at the pool for a good 5 hours, it was packed with plenty of people hanging out sunbathing as well.

Was it hot? Yeah it was damn hot, but we were able to still hang outside. We even went to a bar at the Paris hotel that was outdoors around 2pm. Again hot and sweaty, but preferable to sitting outside when it's 25F.

To me 55-65F isn't cold. I think to most people in the north that isn't cold to them either. That's more "cool" than anything else.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
That's not true.

People are out in Miami on summer days and summer nights. In NYC, people are outside more or less out of necessity (commuting to work). There are no rooftop parties, no festivals, no outdoor seating, etc. 99% of the things to do will be indoors with the exception of things like ice skating. But there won't be any parties at the Standard or Habana Outpost. Any semblance of social life moves indoors until the weather breaks.

I'm rather cold-averse and I don't even consider 55-65 "cold." That's Bay Area/San Francisco-like weather. It may not represent an ideal temperature for many people, but there are few people who are going to whine about a 55 degree day. "Cold" temperatures, I would say, are what we have in the Eastern U.S. where temps dip down below 40 degrees.
Right. 55-65 is not cold. Sweater weather is not cold.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Las Vegas, when I was there a few weeks ago, the highs every day, where 110 to 115 degrees. There were PLENTY of people outside. Yes you would have to take breaks, and cool off, but people were out and about. Now we certainly saw less of the strip compared to if it would have been cooler, but we managed. Also it gave us a great opportunity to hang outside at the pool for hours. We hung out at the pool for a good 5 hours, it was packed with plenty of people hanging out sunbathing as well.
Vegas gets cold during the winter and the pools close down. You actually see far fewer pedestrians there during the colder months than you do during the warmer months.

http://www.newmarketadvisors.com/ass...trianStudy.pdf

But even during the hottest months, you still have the nights. I feel like cold weather boosters always ignore this point. A high of 28 degrees in Chicago yields a low of 11 degrees. There is no relief from the cold whereas the hottest days often lead to fairly comfortable evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or